1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get a tailgate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:15 PM
keith w
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Where to get a tailgate?

Last week my Dad took my truck to Lowe's and someone backed a 2x4 into my tailgate. Now my truck is not perfect, but it's close. The guy waited around and said to get an estimate and he would turn it into his insurance. We both have the same insurance company. This happened the last time a vehicle of mine was involved in an accident, although that time it was much more serious. We both had the same insurance company and the company railroaded me and I got back what amounted to a worthless piece of ****. That time I was willing to settle for $5200 and to total the vehicle. They would only go $4400, but by the time the rental and extra expenses were figured in, they had forked out $5600 and I got back a truck that should have been totalled. The woman who pulled out in front of my truck was at fault and she got a new vehicle.

This time it's just a tailgate, but I want a new one. I know very well that Snake Farm is not going to give me a tailgate. My guess is that there estimator will come out trying to pay far less than even what the repair will cost. But I don't want it repaired. It was not wrecked before, and I don't want that one fixed. So I will probably be stuck footing the bill for most of a new tailgate.

My question to the people here. Do any of you know names and telephone numbers or web addresses of companies that might have take-offs? Like companies that do flat bed or custom bed conversions. It would be a big help to have several to call. Maybe I could luck out and find one for a few buck less than the $841 I was quoted of a new one at the body shop.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:42 PM
wdglide
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your not dead set on a new one, then any salvage yard should have one. Any F series tailgate should fit. Or so I'm told - I'm looking for one myself.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:50 PM
keith w
Posting Guru
I've been checking car-part.com hoping to find a true blue one, but haven't found anything yet that comes close to what want. I don't need brand new, but I don't want to have to pay for paint work on a used one either. There was an perfect 04 TB off a F350 on Ebay last week and I missed it I could kick myself.

Good luck with your search as well.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Miescha
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been looking for over a year and I'm near ready to just buy a new one from Ford and have it painted (and transfer over my hardware since the one from Ford is only a shell).

I've watched ebay religiously but most of the gates there go for as much or more than my dealer wants and they don't match my color (I'm sure the bidders need exactly that color so they are willing to pay more than me as they don't need to paint it).

I've searched salvage yards high and low and no luck - these things fit so many vehicles that they disappear quickly.

I've also searched all the local upfitters who may be putting tommy-lift type gates or whole utility beds on - they must sell their stuff on ebay also b/c they don't even return calls.

Good luck - please let me know if you find a good source. I do have a true blue gate in near perfect condition, but it is for the Ford style-side trucks (F150) - don't ask how I ended up with the wrong gate

Old 01-04-2006, 07:46 PM
HarryD001
Senior User
EBay my freind everything can be found there

http://search.ebay.com/ford-tailgate...sPageNameZWLRS

Last edited by HarryD001; 01-04-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:56 PM
CmprSpecial
Elder User
I found one on ebay too. Since all the f-series (150,250,350) tailgates are the same from something like 99-2004, it didn't take long for me. I found a guy who bought out a pest control companys stock. They removed the tailgates to install a cap with a rear door. I paid half what new would cost. It's the wrong color, but I will have it painted after my divorce is final and I have some money (ha, ha)...

Keep watching...

Old 01-05-2006, 12:12 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
my divorce is final and I have some money (ha, ha)...
that'll be awhile

Old 01-05-2006, 07:47 AM
CmprSpecial
Elder User
Originally Posted by jake00
that'll be awhile
That whas what the "ha, ha" was for...

I got lucky in that the tailgate I was able to find was close enough in color that I don't "need" to paint it right away. My truck is True Blue, the one I bought was Wedgewood blue...it's pretty close..

Old 01-05-2006, 12:58 PM
2002 F350V10
Posting Guru
Ebay is THE place............

Although I havent wrecked mine yet, I watched an ebay ad a couple of months ago for a new take off gate in my same color(true blue clearcoat), and the seller was about 50 miles away. I emailed him about local pickup and he said yes. I sniped the auction in the last few seconds and ended up with the perfect condition take off gate in my color for $202.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!. All it took was patience to find and watch it, and voila, most anyone could of done similar. I figured mines getting scratched up a bit, and I am not interested in selling the truck in the near future , so its cheap insurance to buy one when available, and store it just in case. Bill