just call me idiot!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 09:12 AM
wallyford
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just call me idiot!!!!!!

I replaced my broke rear end (3.50) with one from a salvage yard. Got it all put back together and took it for a test drive. Everything was great until I put it in 4wd, and it locked down tight!!!! Took it all back apart, pulled the pumpkin and discovered a 4.11. Now my truck is in the shop having the tranny and tcase replaced. So don't be an idiot like me and trust what your local salvage yard tells you.

Wallyford

Old 01-01-2006, 11:06 AM
stuart1
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

gulp.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:34 AM
thesprocket26
Posting Guru
You didn't count the teeth! Idiot! THat is like girls that tell you they are clean. Don't trust that one either. Use protection. Or in your case, use your knowledge as protection and don't trust what yards say.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:46 AM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wallyford
I replaced my broke rear end (3.50) with one from a salvage yard. Got it all put back together and took it for a test drive. Everything was great until I put it in 4wd, and it locked down tight!!!! Took it all back apart, pulled the pumpkin and discovered a 4.11. Now my truck is in the shop having the tranny and tcase replaced. So don't be an idiot like me and trust what your local salvage yard tells you.

Wallyford
Well, idiot, move over - long time ago I got a tranny from a junk yard for a '55 Buick - spent days in the front yard replacing it. (Anyone who has changed one knows what it is - enclosed driveline and all, and heavier than two regular trannys). Well, guess what - it didn't work any better than the old one -- ... you're not alone out there

Old 01-02-2006, 09:22 AM
71 Sport Custom
Senior User
I've found it,s easiest to ask them what ratio they have. Before you tell them what you need. Evens the odds a little. Have you since found the right axle?

Old 01-02-2006, 11:05 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Happy to oblige a friend.

YOU"RE AN IDIOT.

Though, I just replaced my clutch in my F350, and spent several hours struggling to get the tranny onto the engine, only to find I left the clutch tool in the clutch/pilot bearing.

Then, after buttening everything up, bleeding, and starting it, I heard a nasty clanging/crashing sound and shut it down immediately.

Pulled it apart again today... hey, lookee, there's my 19mm socket!

You are not alone. Just brave enough to admit it

Old 01-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,421 Likes on 2,106 Posts
Just remember......stuff happens. We have all been through through a common situation. When your on a roll I just walk away and regroup.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:40 AM
71 Sport Custom
Senior User
I remember the old socket in the flywheel on a buddies rollback. Broke the ZF bellhousing destroying the tranny. Yikes. When I was a younger man I did brakes on my brothers Courrier. They locked up in Anderson, SC carrying way too much gravel for my uncle. Opened them up and hey there's my needle nose pliers. Did the brakes the night before leaving MD for SC by droplight. Even dropped the truck on the droplight when finished. Sweet. When these things happen just press on!!!

Old 01-02-2006, 01:05 PM
wallyford
Freshman User
Thanks for the stories and support ya'll. I'm not a mechanic, but I do like to do as much of my own work as I can. And I am just as much to blame as anybody. But my baby is in the shop having the tranny and tcase replaced along with the right rearend. The front axle has been pulled and checked out, did have milky fluid, so that has been changed, and new 40 series flowmasters will be installed also.

Thanks, Wallyford

Old 01-02-2006, 05:51 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
idiot, lol.
How much is all that going to cost you now?
I can feel your pain(in the wallet).
I personally haven't done something that bad, but the worst I've done it try to pull and fix a 300lb t case(203), put it back in, then it doesn't work, then pull it, and try to put in a 205 and nothing went together, so I ended up putting the 300lb 203 back in after I found nothing wrong with it, and now I found out it's the shift linkage.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:53 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm a "monkey" who also does all my own work, unless I need to lift the truck completely off the ground, in which case I'll bite the bullet and open my wallet. I did that with the front ball joints last year.

The various cars we have, I've lifted off the ground using two floor jacks. Jack the front into the air, toss jackstands under, then do the same for the rear.

The crewcab, weighing almost 7000lbs, unfortunately pushes the jacks right into the asphault requiring massive crowbar effort to get them out.

I tried the plywood-under-the-jack method a few times, maybe I used crappy plywood, who knows, but it splintered and I didn't feel comfortable climbing under the truck.

Anyway, don't sweat the mistakes. Even professionals make them, as much as we'd like them not to. Everyone has brain-dead days. You just don't want one of those during a job interview

Old 01-03-2006, 12:35 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks.

I guess I was kinda lucky since the only major mistake I didn't discover before a test drive resulted in a lost driveshaft.

Were there any tag on the rear? If yes, what did it say?

Old 01-05-2006, 11:54 PM
RotGrubestier44
Elder User
a little late for that isn't it?

Old 01-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,421 Likes on 2,106 Posts
Originally Posted by RotGrubestier44
a little late for that isn't it?
Always good to check first but then we could not feed on someones misfortune and then realize the stupid things each of us have done in the past.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Grant12
Senior User
Mistakes teach valuable lessons.But I wouldn't say Idiot thats harsh how about dummy.Just kidding sorry to here that.appreciate ya!I dont know ya to call you dumb I have plenty of idiot stories and Im sure we all do!

Quick Reply: just call me idiot!!!!!!