Notices
1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Expedition Vibration Question

Old 12-28-2005, 09:40 AM
kkester
Junior User
kkester is starting off with a positive reputation.
Expedition Vibration Question

I've seen a number of posts here about strange vibrations in Expeditions, variously attributed to tires (Continental) and other problems. As I've noticed some vibrations in our 2005 Expedition EB, I tried to pay close attention to it in the context of a long drive a few days ago.

While driving fully loaded (4 people, 2 dogs, and lots of stuff in the back) on flat, smooth roadway (no snow, no ice, no potholes, no pavement grooves, etc.), I was able to discern some sort of a vibration in the vehicle once I got over 35 mph. This vibration was still evident until at least 55-60 mph. While it seemed that the vibration might have been localized to the front, I can't say this with any certainty.

The vehicle has about 8,600 miles on it and has stock Continental tires.

How best to approach this?

Kent Kester

Old 12-28-2005, 01:14 PM
amm888
Elder User
amm888 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i'd say start by replacing the conticrap tires. and maybe it'll clear up, but then i really no next to NOTHING on this subject besides the little i've gleaned reading about other people's probs. but i have seen that the consensus is that changing out the contis to something good (check out the tirerack.com reviews) will improve your all around ride.

al

Old 01-02-2006, 04:37 PM
ostateesq
New User
ostateesq is starting off with a positive reputation.
Although the Continental tires are truly awful, this may not be your problem. If your are hearing what appears to be rubbing sounds coming from your front end when you turn (along with other odd noises), the problem is probably your differential. I had the same problem with my 2003 Expedition. When we would turn, it sounded like the tires were rubbing on something. I ended up replacing the tires with a set of Bridgestones (because I heard the tires were really noisy)and the noise remained. Finally, after 2 1/2 years of hearing the noise and a new set of tires, I took it back to Ford (my wifes truck, thus the length of time it took to get it into the shop). The dealership said that they had numerous problems and complaints about this noise and it was the differential binding up (not sure why it sounds like it was coming from the front end). They rebuilt the rear end and the noise is gone.

So before you go and buy new tires just to fix the noise, take the truck back to the dealership and have that checked first. May save yourself a new set of tires.

Chris Stark, Placentia, CA

Old 01-02-2006, 05:40 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome ostateesq, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
..See you on the boards.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:05 PM
garyle
Junior User
garyle is starting off with a positive reputation.
KKESTER, just went thru the same deal with my 05 EB 4x4. The good news is that the Conti tire problem is known by Ford and they are under warranty. The dealer may not replace all 4 with a better tire, but they should at least give you 4 new Conti's. Go to Hunter.com and read up on road force balancing. My dealer tried to RFB my tires and could not do it because of one tire out of spec. They had to replace all 4 tires and even then, they had a bad tire and had to order another one to get 4 to match. Rides smooth now and at least I know the vibration was in the tires. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:12 PM
now_exowner
Senior User
now_exowner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm with Garyle, have the dealer mess with the tires until they get ones that work right. I've had 14 tires on my truck and it still isn't right. But above all, stay persistent. They will try to tell you they don't feel what you are talking about, they will try to say it is within Ford tolerances (ask to see the spec sheet to prove tolerances, the man may actually start to shake, it's funny). they will say just about anything for you to just take it as is and not pursue it any further. That's fine if it's a used truck, but not a new one. Any questions, feel free to email or PM me.

Dave

Old 01-02-2006, 07:13 PM
kkester
Junior User
kkester is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks--very helpful information. Sounds like evaluating the tires should be the first step.

Kent Kester

Old 01-09-2006, 01:02 PM
FORDFIELD
New User
FORDFIELD is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2000 Has Done The Same Thing. Had A Mechanic Pull The Drive Shaft To The Front Differential And Now The Sound Is Gone. Bottom Line The Front Unit Has Something Wrong With It That Causes Binding Upon Acceleration. Has Anyone Rebuilt Thier Own? Or Replaced It With A Used Unit From The Boneard??