Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2004 Explorer Stereo/Back up warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 11:19 PM
explorer04
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Explorer Stereo/Back up warning

A few questions for someone who may be able to help...

1. I have a 2004 explorer with a 6-disc in dash factory changer. I am looking to install an ipod adapter, however...i need to know if there is an auxiliary input in the back of the stereo so it can be hardwired.

2. On the same token, my stereo is ready for satelite radio, can i choose xm or serius? will i need to have a seperate display for the satellite radio or can everything be done with the stereo?

3. I have a back-up sensor on my vehicle. When I put the vehicle into reverse it automatically shuts itself off and I cannot turnit back on until I am in drive. Even after when I put it in reverse without shutting off the vehicle it will shut itself off automatically.

An answer to any of these questions will be greatly appreciated

Old 12-12-2005, 06:38 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:48 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by explorer04

1. I have a 2004 explorer with a 6-disc in dash factory changer. I am looking to install an ipod adapter, however...i need to know if there is an auxiliary input in the back of the stereo so it can be hardwired.

2. On the same token, my stereo is ready for satelite radio, can i choose xm or serius? will i need to have a seperate display for the satellite radio or can everything be done with the stereo?

3. I have a back-up sensor on my vehicle. When I put the vehicle into reverse it automatically shuts itself off and I cannot turnit back on until I am in drive. Even after when I put it in reverse without shutting off the vehicle it will shut itself off automatically.

An answer to any of these questions will be greatly appreciated
1 - Depends on the stereo you have hut yes, I lbelieve there is an auxillary input.

2 - You can choose either XM or sirrus. Some of the Ford stereos are set up for sirrus, again, depend on the steroe you have. I do not beleive that any are set-up for XM. In all likelyhood, you will need a separate display for either unless you have the radio that will operate the sirrus system.

3 - Take it to the dealer. This should be a warranty item.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:37 PM
dyarab
New User
I have a 2003 Explorer Sport Trac and everything I've seen, which really Edited out by Admin me off, that if you have an in-dash 6-disc changer no adapter will work.

I hope I'm wrong but still searching to no avail yet.

Last edited by IB Tim; 12-14-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:10 PM
nymets78
Junior User
i have an 04 with the 6 cd in dash stereo and I purchased the adapter that allows for sirius radio using the existing radio display. i've had it for 2 years now and am extremely happy with it - no extra displays needed.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:46 AM
dyarab
New User
Originally Posted by nymets78
i have an 04 with the 6 cd in dash stereo and I purchased the adapter that allows for sirius radio using the existing radio display. i've had it for 2 years now and am extremely happy with it - no extra displays needed.
I'm referring to iPod integration. I wish it were that easy for the iPods... apparently the in-dash 6 disc changer screws everything up.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Kraut
Senior User
Originally Posted by explorer04

1.) No clue

2.) You can enable the "sat" function of your ford factory radio with XM as well, but there IS a potenital caviat.....

There is a Ford XM Kit out there which, via an adaptor cable which "splits" the existing harness to your radio, allows "in dash" XM sat capability. The adaptor harness provides the connectors needed for the receiver unit and the smart adaptor unit, allowing you to splice/plug these into your radio wiring harness.

And, yes, the assoicated alphanumerics of xm sat radio will appear on your radio display, toggled via the "text" toggle button on your radio.

Caution... I tried to install this kit on my '05 Explorer with the Single CD/SAT/MP3 radio head. Ford changed up the harness plug on the back of this radio and the kit would not fit MY RADIO, only because of the harness plugs installed by Ford. IT MAY WORK ON YOURS, THOUGH.

Check out:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IU13ePg...=209XMDFDK#Tab

If the link doesn't work, go to crutchfield.com and search on "Ford XM".

BTW, here is MY customer review that appears on Crutchfield:

I'm sure this is a good product---never had the opportunity to find out, though (see below).

This kit has a wiring harness (the large one with the large, rectangular, multi-pin connectors on either end) which is intended to fit in-line with the factory harness, and connect up to the radio head, thus providing the T-d off wires to further connect to the included modulator unit and smart digital adaptor.

Somewhere along the line, ford changed up the ONE connector plug on the back of the factory head unit, such that TWO smaller rectangular pin connectors now plug into the radio head via the factory harness, NOT just the ONE LARGE ONE.

Thus this kit does not fit ALL factory, SAT enabled radio heads. My vehicle ('05 Explorer) came with the Single-CD, SAT enabled, radio --- looks like the 6-CD in-dash changer, but only takes one CD at-a-time.

This kit will NOT work with this particular radio head.

THUS,

I went with the skyfi2 + the vehicle specific mount for the explorer...WORKS GREAT.

BTW, I recommend crutchfield... GREAT service, GREAT Tech support, GREAT price. This kit MAY, INDEED, fit your radio. Check to be sure.

3) Hmmm, sounds like the dash switch may be hosed....didja chack all fuses? Hate to say it, the dealer may be your best bet on this one...

Cheers....

Last edited by Kraut; 12-15-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:55 PM
micgang
Junior User
I have the same reverse sensor issue. Sounds like exactly the same issue. Was yours corrected and if so, what was the fix?