Sponsored by:

5 speed broncos

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 04:47 PM
JICASE
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 speed broncos

I am going to be in the market for a very low optioned bronco here in the near future. I would like to find a 1996 with a 5 speed and manual shift transfer case. As I understand it these were only available with a 5.0. Is this correct? Where would be a good place to start looking? Eventually I want to build a diesel out of this truck. Whether it is with a powerstroke or small cat or cummins. That is why I want a 5 speed.
Is there anyone out there that has done a diesel conversion?
Are there any leads to a 5 speed 96. Thanks

Old 11-29-2005, 04:51 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the five speed that will be in the bronco, will not hold up (and might not even bolt up) to the diesel truck you are envisioning. You will want to swap in a ZF behind it. For what its worth.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:54 PM
JICASE
Junior User
I know that but I wanted to start with a cab that already had all of the clutch linkage mounted in it. As that is one less expense that I will have to deal with.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:05 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I was told once that the 5.0's came with the electronic t-case and the 5.8 came with the manual t-case.

I just can't believe that you couldn't get a Bronco the other way around. Of course, of the two Broncos that I paid attention to once I heard this, they agree with that.

But as long as you want to eventually swap out the motor and transmission, why are you hung up on the transfer case?

Old 11-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Super-Dayv
Junior User
Originally Posted by andym
I was told once that the 5.0's came with the electronic t-case and the 5.8 came with the manual t-case.
My 89 has a 302, A/T, and a manual t-case...

Old 11-29-2005, 06:21 PM
the Goat
Senior User
My bronco is a '90 with 5.0EFI, M5OD 5-speed manuel transmission, and manuel shift transfercase. I searched for a couple of months to find a manuel tranny bronco, and then I had to go through two other states to pick it up (200+ miles). I can't stand driving antomatic transmission vehicles. But I am very happy with my bronco's drivetrain (when it is working that is).

Old 11-30-2005, 06:47 AM
chevygoneford
Senior User
its all there

I believe all the stuff for the clutch and resevoir is already there you just have to put it in and its not really a hard job you just have to have the stuff manual colum clutch peddle asasembly clutch resevoir and go to town did a conversion on my truck from auto to manual just have to knock out some metal tabs and the clutch pedal assembly studs were already there everything just bolted right into place under the carpet youll find the manual shifter hole tab get it out and the manual t case hole is there too take them both out bolt in what you need from your doner vehicle good luck

Old 12-01-2005, 09:29 AM
MichSandSquid
Senior User
Originally Posted by the Goat
My bronco is a '90 with 5.0EFI, M5OD 5-speed manuel transmission, and manuel shift transfercase. I searched for a couple of months to find a manuel tranny bronco, and then I had to go through two other states to pick it up (200+ miles). I can't stand driving antomatic transmission vehicles. But I am very happy with my bronco's drivetrain (when it is working that is).
That's a short drive Goat. Later this month I'm going from Detroit to Dallas to pick up a 88 302 5speed with manual tranny and manual locking hubs....almost 1500 miles with a wife and a 10 year old and a 6 year old....wish me luck