New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Preparing myself for saying good-bye

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 07:47 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Preparing myself for saying good-bye

I've seen threads of this nature here before, and didn't think I would do the same thing. But now that the time is near for me to have to do the same, it seems like an okay way to express the way I feel about my dog.

He was already 9 years old when we got him, and being half lab and half shepard, knew he was probably not going to live incredibly long. Well, that's only been a year ago, and he was doing great until recently. I noticed a spot on his side- it looked like a big lump of fat, like on the back of a very large person's leg. I thought he was just eating too much and not getting exercise. finally took him to the vet, as he started having trouble moving around. Turns out the lump was a 'fatty tumor' and he had arthritis pretty bad. They gave us some pills to give him for both ailments and we went on vacation with the dog. Seems like the pills sped up the process, though. He sort of went straight down hill when he started taking the pills- His movement became labored and the tumor went from being like a lump of fat to a solid mass. That was a week and a half ago. This morning, he was drooling uncontrollable and could barely lift his head, although his tail wagged when he saw me, and he had made a pretty bad mess on the carpet (#2). I couldn't even be upset, as he was always a fantastic house dog, never caged and never had accidents. I cleaned it up the best I could and told my wife that we should think about getting him back to the vet for that last ride (he always loved to ride). I'll know more this afternoon, but I fear that this is it.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by stu37d; 11-29-2005 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:05 AM
92F150XLT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, sorry to hear that. It sounds like he is suffering, so in my mind it's the right thing to do. I haven't had to go through that yet, but I'm sure I will one day.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:09 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh man, that is a bad feeling coming, and i am sorry for that. no one wants to lose a beloved family pet. it sounds like the humane thing to do to your friend.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dang, Stu - you got me all lumpy in the throat this morning...

I hate to hear stuff like that - especially now with Christmas being close. I know I'm a bit emotional about pets and such, and I know I place myself into other folks positions way too much sometimes - but I can't help it. I feel bad for ya'. No one can know the things that bind a person with their pet, the things you once did together, the almost-human feelings the pet had....stuff like that.

I know you're doing the right thing, Stu; keeping him from the pain and suffering, though. And I know it's eating a hole in ya or you wouldn't have posted it here. All I can say is you know what you gotta do and that means a lot to a pet. I can't say for certain, but I think he'd appreciate that.

I wish I could say something that would help, but I don't guess anybody can. But, I can say I understand.

Old 11-29-2005, 11:31 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
I'm sorry to hear that. I too got that lump in my throat reading this. Don't forget all the good times ya'll shared. Do what's best and don't let him suffer.

I'm not ready, but when I get to that point with my beagle she's gonna ride in my '78 F150 with me to the vet and I want to be there with her to let her see my face as she fades off. Then she will ride back home in the truck with me to be buried at home.

Bless our pets. I gotta quite typing before i start ballin.... Good luck, stu.

Old 11-29-2005, 11:35 AM
crewzmaster
Senior User
Sorry man

I know what it takes to realize when it's time. We have been through it more times than I can count, although we never forget any of them. The good thing is I think our pets know how we feel about them, just as we know how they feel about us. I'm sorry Stu,that you are going through this now. It's one of the hardest things to do. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Oval_obsessed
Elder User
I too realize your pain. The family pet becomes part of the family quick and very dear to your heart. I know from experience that it is hard but it is the best thing. When it happens, take time to reflect on how good your dog was and then put a picture of him in your house in plain view so he seems like he is still there. That is what my wife and I have done. It always puts a lump in my throat when I hear these things, I wish you well.

Old 11-29-2005, 02:32 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Wish I could add something intelligent here, other than to say those of us that have been down this road know how painful it is. All the best to you.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:13 PM
joezee
Senior User
hello : you have me tearing up also.take care of the little guy and give you both some comfort.our dog has that lump your talking about also. near his rib cage and the doctor told us that it could be a problem in the future also. he's o.k. now and he's a character.very loving dog.i feel for you.do what you have to do.god bless ya....joe

Old 11-29-2005, 03:24 PM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,517 Likes on 1,415 Posts
My wife and I understand what you are going through all too well, having lost 4 loving SAR/lap labs and a beagle in the last few years! They all were 12-14 years old and went for different reasons! Only one passed on his own and the others went for there “Last ride” and I think by the reactions of each dog that the ride and “end” was worse on us than them. When we had to put down the first we found a 2 books and I suggest both to any loving pet owner. The first is “The Souls of Animals” by Kowalski and the second is “Will I see Fido in heaven” by Mary Buddemeyer-Porter.

We read the first book before we lost our first dog and the second just after the first dog. Both books made us feel better about our decisions and how we felt.

My wife found Ms. Porters e-mail address and e-mailed her before we received to book (it had been ordered) and she e-mailed us back with-in an hour with her phone number and She and my wife talked for some time about this subject!

Nothing makes it easy but this makes it easier!

Best wishes
Rod

Old 11-29-2005, 06:39 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

So, I guess dogs really do go to heaven. I hope so, because I want to see benjamin again. The vet said that we could try some radical things, but gave us very little hope, they said that he was in a lot of pain. I was unable to get out of work and my wife had to go thru this ordeal without me. I think that was the worst part for me. The vet said that Ben was even worse off than she had thought at first, and that we had made the right decision. My wife said that the Ketamine only took about 15 seconds to work, she was with him at the end. He didn't wimper a bit, and just faded off...

Thanks for all of your very kind thoughts.
Stu

Old 11-29-2005, 06:57 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
I am very sorry for your loss. It is so hard to get over the lost of a pet. Sounds like you did the right thing for your dog. I believe you will see your dog again. As somoeone said before, just remember the good times.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:02 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
That's just heartbreaking. I'm very sorry for your family's loss. Give your wife a big FTE hug from all of us.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
I lost my 4-year old black Lab this past April when she choked to death on a Kong ball.
I rushed her to the ER but there was just nothing that could be done and she literally died in my arms.
Its a painfull thing to go through, and thats all you can really say.
One thing that might help is to try and find a way to honor the memory of your dog. My way was to take some old pictures of my dog and frame them up. It puts a smile on my face every time I walk by the wall where those pics hang because it reminds me of all the good times that we shared.
Like I said, its tough. It took me a long time to get used to be alone again. My Lab and I were never apart for more than 10 hours at at time from the day I brought her home at 8 weeks old. Im just now getting used to it and am just now getting to the point where Im looking foreward to getting another puppy. It took me a long time to realize that getting another dog didnt mean I was replacing my old one and that I can find happiness in companionship with another dog without betraying the memory of my old dog. You never replace them, thats for sure.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:31 PM
roushracing617
Senior User
I,m truly sorry. Octane is correct, I took my Siberian Husky on her last ride a year and a half ago. She was my best friend through alot of bad times, and could never be replaced. But, soon after, I realized that getting another dog is not betrayal, but a way to make a new friend and ensuring that another dog will have a good loving home. Our new dog is just as loving as the last, and my wife and I feel we did the right thing by giving her a good home. Just remember that you and your wife have done the right thing, even though it hurts like hell. I still miss my Husky alot, but our new dog makes me smile every day.

Quick Reply: Preparing myself for saying good-bye