1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Holiday Progress???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:10 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
I did finish the 1/4"-ft architectural model of our house and garage on our property so I could better visualize the grading and what the whole lot is going to look like when finished. I'm glad I decided to put the garage towards the rear of the lot and at an angle to the street otherwise it could have overshadowed the house. Even built a scale enclosed car trailer.
Dude, you have way too much free time... isn't your garage done yet?

As for me, I managed to haul off a majority of my scrap metal pile which helped me get the garage a bit cleaner (and my storage "field"). In the process of all this I had the brainstorm to try and use the rear suspension off my 79 frame on my 52... we'll see if that works out or not. I also tinkered with a few small parts I've been collecting for my F-3.

Hopefully when my semester is done in 2 weeks, I'll be able to dive in on the major metal work on my frame and cab floor.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:33 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Actually had built the house model out of foamcore board and the lot model out of styrofoam when I first started the garage project last Feb when it was too cold to work outside. The garage model I built then was for the first design to help me explain to the contractor what I was looking for and compare the appearance with the house. Our house is not real large ~ 1600 sq ft and our lot is wider than deep (150' x 80') with the house way to one side. Since the garage will be more to the side of the house rather than to the rear it will be quite noticable. I was also able to photograph the whole thing from a low angle while it is sitting on a table to give me a better idea what it will look like from a people eye view. It didn't take long to build, an afternoon for the new garage, most of the time was devoted to carrying the styrofoam "ground" outside to shape it without making a permanent plastic snowstorm inside. Without a garage to work in I had to assemble it in the dining room. I made the trailer because my wife kept asking how big it was going to be compared to the garage. It's just a block of styrofoam the right scale size with wheels from a model car kit to represent the wheels. I could have gotten a LOT more elaborate with the whole thing, but decided enough was enough.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:46 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AX,

Be honest now - did you put your racing team name on the trailer?

Old 11-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Deebo54
Freshman User
I was somewhat productive, took off the rear right spring, plenty of cutting, not a whole lot of sockets needed as most if not all of the bolts are seized! Having some difficulty getting the pins out of the mounts. They're in there pretty good. I am removing every other spring to lower the rear a bit. I am looking at maybe a 4 link in the future, but for now I thought I would play around with it a bit.

Since I started this project, I have been thinking a bit more about rear ends, any thoughts or "posts" that discuss rear-end selection. Obviously the "9" is a favorite, but what are the choice donors for this, what mods are needed on a 54' to adapt this conversion?

Old 11-28-2005, 09:34 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Mounted steering column in my panel; ended up extending my column drop another inch down. Amazing how long it takes to get the column angle where you want it.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:04 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deebo,

Rear ends -

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...ial_Swaps.html

Or in the stickied thread at the top entitled reference threads - see the one near the bottom of that note about rear ends - it's the original note we gathered all the data in that was used in the article in the first link I gave you.

That should answer your questions........

Old 11-28-2005, 10:31 PM
fish-albuq
Senior User
was planning getting my brakes back together but that didnt happen. good news though. this week my buddies gonna start on the rest of my body work. hopefully, i can learn something.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
I ended up sick and didn't get much done (still feel lousy). I do have working brakes now though. Its a start at least, I guess.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:02 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I was planning to install my new running boards. But a week ago I saw them in the perfect sunlight situation (setting sun skimming along the top surface) and could see big areas that were't flat or smooth. So I'm sending them back.

So I decided to tackle some "small" things around the house and garage that have been irritating me. In my new garage, I had built the workbench high (42" I think) and deep (36" deep). Great for piling stuff on, but I couldn't even touch the pegboard on the wall behind it (or get anything on/off the pegs!). So I took the whole thing back apart, shaved 8" off the depth, and reassembled. Put up pegs for all my stuff, Super! Then I made brackets to mount my stereo and speakers on the wall so they weren't taking up floor space (speakers) or workbench space (receiver and CD player). I spent some time cleaning up the floor, arranging stuff, etc. Not "productive" work, but everytime I walk in there it feels great!

As usual, all of this only took about 4 hours to do, but I thought about it for a couple months.....

Old 11-29-2005, 09:07 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Ross,
It sounds like you have a real nice shop! I know what you mean about stuff piling up on the bench. my benchtop is an old door and I can onlyuse a small portion of it right now because I have slowly managed to pile stuff up along the back edge. I think its time to do a major cleaning and take some stuff out to the shed (but that sure takes away from truck time)

Bobby