Notices

Overspray

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 05:32 PM
berkad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overspray

I recently got my truck back from the bodyshop after my son decided to re-arrange the sheetmetal. Repairs were great, no complaints about those but; Washed my baby the other day and there is overspray (clear) everywhere but the panels the shop sprayed.

Now I could take it back and make them fix this but I don't want to loose the time and rent another car. I have not "polished" a vehicle since my white '67 Chevelle back in the 70's.

What should I use, how do I use it?

Thanks

Old 11-19-2005, 08:16 PM
AF Mezkin
Senior User
I would start with 3M scratch remover and them go to the Meguiar's 3 step polishing system. I would also use a 6" buffer/polisher for application. I used this process ( with excellent results) when my 95 Explorer got mud stains that would not come off with nomal washing.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:40 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Depending on how bad it is, you might have to wet-sand the truck.

You could try a paint thinner depending on how long the existing paint has cured. If it hasn't had much time to cure, I wouldn't try the paint thinner since you have a bigger chance of ruining the paint.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Post Fiend
As one who paints at work we often have over spray on everything.
I would suggest before getting out the sand paper or the buffer run down to Auto Zone and get a Mothers Clay Kit. Its really easy to use, but what ever you do don't drop the clay on the floor cause if you do it the clay is ruined. Fisrt time I used it I couldn't believe it. Everything is in the kit just read the dirrections. Also when finished
put the clay in a plastic sandwich bag.
Something else you might want to try especially if your not that handy with a buffer is one of the orange citrus cleaners, not soap but a spray. This stuff will not hurt paint.
Used this also. A hospital used it to get some glue off my face once.
Dave

Old 11-19-2005, 11:02 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
There's gotta be a story behind the glue on your face at the hopspital. Lets hear it. lol

Old 11-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Post Fiend
Ok Ok,

Let me get my coffee first.
OK.
I work for an RV dealer and now do body/paint work. We use a liquid contact cement to laminate body panels together amongst other things. We were getting to the bottom of the 5 gallon cans so I went to get another mixing it up along the way. Now I'm use to these 5 gal cans having a metal seal on the outside, then a lid and another plastic seal. Can you guess yet... I bent over the can, popped the metal seal and BOOM, the plastic lid came shooting off the can.
The lid hit me in the head and glue shot all over my face. One of the guys got me to the bathroom and started flushing my eyes and face because it burned.
Well they called the ambo and went thru this big deal as to whether or not to fly me ( really looking for this, got to have one of those SkyFlight tee's) to burn unit. They decicded not to and when I got the hospital they use Orange citrus cleaner to clean the glue off my face.
A little explanation... the glue was redish pink so when they saw this stuff hanging off my face they though it was. skin hunce the burn unit.
Dave

Old 11-20-2005, 04:39 PM
roushracing617
Senior User
Funny story. I have also heard of great results with the Mothers Clay kit. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 11-20-2005, 04:52 PM
tribal f-150
New User
if u havent polished a vehicle since the 70's i wouls stay away from the clay bar...if used properly there will be good results but i would recomend a cleaner wax mothers would be my choice...if that dosent work...than it needs to be buffed...and a steel wool for the glass...also NEVER use any wax in a circular motion apply in the length of the vehicle. front to back it will greatly reduce the chance of swirls..

Last edited by tribal f-150; 11-20-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Post Fiend
What kind of bad experience have you had with clay. I consider it fool proof if you follow the directions, but the longer he waits to get it off the harder it is going to be.
Not to mention like one of the first posts said about Mirror glaze at least with that he has a choice several different applications. Don't like Mirror Glaze use Mequires same stuff.

Last edited by 80351; 11-20-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:45 AM
stealth1
Senior User
The clay block is the best way to go. My wife parked next to a painting yard for 2 years when I met her. Her truck was COVERED with paint. A couple clay bars later, along with alot of elbow grease the truck looked brand new. cant go wrong..

Old 11-21-2005, 07:20 AM
berkad
Posting Guru
Thanks for all of the input guys. You have helped me with my choice. I see I only have one. LET the body shop deal with it. Thank you for saving me a lot of aggrivation.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:31 AM
tribal f-150
New User
Originally Posted by 80351
What kind of bad experience have you had with clay. I consider it fool proof if you follow the directions, but the longer he waits to get it off the harder it is going to be.
Not to mention like one of the first posts said about Mirror glaze at least with that he has a choice several different applications. Don't like Mirror Glaze use Mequires same stuff.
i would not use a clay bar personally and have seen people not follow directions..and the end result is buffing and if u scratck it bad enough it will need to be repaired...

letting the body shop fix it is the best bet...and if u have any doubts about my advice check out www.competition-specialties.com i work there and there will never be a clay bar in the shop..i think any one would understand why when you see the website...there are some pics of my truck there also...in the booth and in the parking lot...

Old 04-12-2006, 02:19 PM
berkad
Posting Guru
Just thought I would update you guys and vent. Body shop STILL cannot get it right.

They said just today, "Steve, we got it. Your done."

Done, DONE,, Worse than when I got it back the first time.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:21 PM
stealth1
Senior User
I just clayed my 02 Superduty yesterday followed up by a good carnuba wax job and it looks as good as the day I bought it. I am still not quite sure how somebody could not do this right.. The clear coat is as slick and shiny as snot.. Next up the wifes explorer....

Old 04-12-2006, 10:11 PM
66 twin i
Senior User
Clay bar and elbow greese . You wont have to worry about burning throught the paint.

Quick Reply: Overspray