Clutch stuck, wouldn't release when wheelin'...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 09:48 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Clutch stuck, wouldn't release when wheelin'...

I posted this first in the '80-'86 truck forum but it was suggested to post here, so here's the jist of the thread...

Firstly my truck is an '83 F-150 stepside/shortbed with a 302, T-18, NP208, 8 inch rear and Dana44 TTB front.

Yesterday I got my truck stuck when I was out wheelin with my buddy... Not in any terrain that rightfully should have gotten the truck stuck though.

I went over a very steep grade/drop going down into some deep water (about 4' deep at the deepest point). Got mostly though it and the engine started lugging so I went to downshift to pull out of the pit and the clutch wouldn't release when I pushed the pedal. After fidgeting with it for a second I didn't wanna deal with clutchless shifting in such a situation so I hammered on the loud pedal a bit trying to keep it from stalling and spin the tires if need be to get out. Didn't work, truck stalled, and I was stuck. Couldn't start the engine or even get it into neutral as I was on a bit of an incline and all the weight of the truck was on the gears.

So anyhow, vs trying to get out in 4lo with the starter I just had my buddy drag me out to where I could lay under the truck and not be in a lake. haha Clutch linkage looked alright and moved properly. Got back in the truck, started it up and no problem. Clutch worked normally. I had a problem like this once before too. The clutch wouldn't fully release and it's action was all the way at the botom of the pedal. Again, this was while wheeling. It went away after a short while and was back to normal.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening? It's really not convenient. haha My one thought was maybe the cab was flexing a bit on the frame and the clutch pivot arm was not located properly to fully release the clutch. But then I don't get it why it would do it in that relatively small bit of water off a slope yet later on last night when I was going up a decent sized (for NJ) nearly vertical incline I was able to work the clutch and shift with no problem. I don't get it.

The clutch is operated via a mechanical linkage. It's kind of an odd type of linkage in that it pivots all up under the dashboard, then pushes down on a rod through the floorpan, which pivots off the frame and pushes on an adjustable stick (for lack of a better description), which pushed on the clutch fork.

I've lubricated and adjusted the linkage and it appears to be working smoothly and not catching/binding. I just wish I could get under the truck and see what it's doing when it breaks. Last time I was alone and I adjusted the linkage to push farther on the fork and that fixed it. This last time it was adjusted properly still, but just wouldn't release.

My throwout bearing does howl slightly when I have the clutch pedal fully depressed. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I still wonder if maybe it has gotten dirty from wheelin' and hangs up on something (have had water at tranny level several times and once above the valve covers... and not the cleanest of water either). But then if that were the case why would it not do it more often, and why has it only happened when wheelin'?

If heat is a concern, I don't slip the clutch much offroading. I have the granny 1st gear so it isn't really necessary for most terrain. If it even gets to the point that I have to drag the clutch in 1st when offroading I put the transfer case in 4 low and then the truck really crawls between that and the granny gear. So the clutch/pressure plate/TO bearing should not be heating up too much.

In this past instance I had been idling for a couple minute watching my buddy wheel (we take turns through the hard stuff when it's just the two of us), then drove straight up a hill and off a maybe 5' "cliff" of sorts into a deep puddle (about 4' deep).

So nothing should have been overheated and if it was overheated it sure wasn't after diving into the water. Maybe rapid cooling of parts could have done something?

Well ,if anyone has any ideas as to waht the problem could be I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Cory

Old 11-18-2005, 06:12 AM
bob arrington
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frame twist ,bob