New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine cutting out...

Old 03-25-2002, 09:54 PM
77BigGreen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine cutting out...

I'm a relatively new owner of a 77 F100 Custom (302, 3sp, no power nothing) and have been very happy with my new truck.

Recently, I've had a couple of incidents where the engine has cut out on me and I need some direction and/or guidance on how to troubleshoot this. Maybe "cutting out" isn't the right term - its more like I'm getting absolutely no response from the gas pedal. I think the engine's still running but I'm not 100% sure about that since I've been at close to highway speeds when its happened and I don't have a tach.

Specifics when its happened:
- I've been in 3rd gear, driving between 45-60 mph
- the engine's warm and air temp is > 60 degrees F.
- plenty of gas in the tank
- the headlights remain on however neither the hazars nor turn signals work.
- popping the clutch did nothing

The way I've started it back up is by putting the clutch in and turning the ignition switch (while coasting down the road). Then I can put it back into 3rd and drive on.

Could this be an ignition or key problem? Could I be driving down the road, hitting a bump (not that we have pot holes in GA!) which causes the ignition switch to cut power to the engine??? Sorry if I'm showing my ignorance...

The most recent part that's been replaced was the computer module about 4 months ago (replaced with a NAPA part). Apparently this had happened once or twice with the previous owner...

Any ideas or direction would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Rich

Old 03-25-2002, 10:05 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine cutting out...

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-Mar-02 AT 11:07 PM (EST)]Since you mentioned Highway speeds
Try this.
A quick test :
I suggest getting a long piece of wire to hook up a meter to the + terminal of the coil. Run this wire safely into the cab and the next time this engine cuts out,see if the voltage drops right off on the volt meter.This will tell you if it is ignition or fuel.

If the voltage stays at 8 volts when the engine dies,the ignition is fine.
A volt/ohms meter attached to wires with alligator clips would even work.

I know it sounds weird,but so is your problem.
Besides ,it's a start.

Also, that is an ignition Module ,not a computer module.

They are known to fail
So are coils
So are the pickups in the distributor
So are ignition switches

Dennis https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=1733&.jpg
[i][font color=red]Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font][i]
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=3140&.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/user/mil1ion

[font color=green] Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [/font]

[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
641/2-Mustang 260,Pre-World's Fair Car.
64-Fairlane500 S/C waiting for a 390-4spd.
68-Mustang 289-Sunlit Gold 80,892Mi
78-Buick LeSabre 403 4V
84 Volvo DL Wagon [/font]

Old 03-25-2002, 10:14 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine cutting out...

That is werid. Well the hazards and the headlights run off the same fusible link and they are always hot. Meaning you can turn them on without the key and they still work. The turn signals dont work unless the key is turned to "run" or "acc".
HHmmmm. Is it possible that the key rings is so full of keys that the weight is screwing up the ignition switch?
Next time it dies push in the clutch and rev the engine you still should be able to hear it if it is still running.
A quick guess and I would say ignition switch......but that doesnt explain why the hazards dont work.....unless someone rewired them .

Sparky

Old 03-26-2002, 08:32 AM
77BigGreen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine cutting out...

Nothing significant on the keyring - but I've got two keys that are keyed slightly different (one works in both doors and ignition, the other only works in the ignition and drivers side door). Last night when it cut out, I had the key in the ignition that only works in the drivers door. I'll switch keys and see if the problem comes up again.

As far as the engine rev'ing when it cuts out - nothing. Don't get any response from the gas pedal. So I'd have to say that the engine's cut out completely. The thing that's got me thinking its the ignition is that I can't pop the clutch and get it restarted. I've never NOT been able to restart a stall by popping the clutch in a manual transmission - but I'm not sure that I've ever been at highway speeds when its happened either.

Regarding the hazards not working - I'll check to see that they work with no key in the ignition. I know the headlights do but I haven't checked the hazards. Hadn't thought that they might be rewired. Will check it out.

Thanks!
Rich