General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Overprotective Parents

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 09:21 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is not called overprotective, its called control freak. If you wnat to go to another school, tell them so and that your decision is final and non negotiable. I could write for hours on this one, but I dont have time..I had a friend like you growing up.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:41 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Well, maybe it is, maybe is isn't being overprotective??.....Ranger Rules, don't take this personally or the wrong way. But are you in anyway "learning challenged"?(i'm not cracking jokes) or have you gotten into some real serious trouble when you were younger? I'm sure there are parents out there with the best intentions for their kids, but to the kids it may seem over protective?

IMHO, the best way to not be treated as a child is to not live as one. Move out from under your parents roof and find an apartment. Attend the college of your choice. If you are being funded by your parents then look into student loans and grants and a job for steady income.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:05 PM
dumptech
Elder User
study hard, get a good job, move out, have a good life

Old 11-07-2005, 02:40 PM
ranger rules
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
Ranger Rules, don't take this personally or the wrong way. But are you in anyway "learning challenged"?(i'm not cracking jokes) or have you gotten into some real serious trouble when you were younger?
Nope, neither apply to me.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:02 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Well you got me stumped. Maybe it's harder for some parents to let go than it is for others?

Best of luck to you with your decisions.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:30 PM
MJD
Elder User
Whoa, I thought that my parents were overprotective. I guess that I had it easy.

Anyway, just tell your parents what the problem is and they might understand. It helped me, although I luckily did not need to deal with this when I was 21, more like 15.

I am 22 now and going to college 350 miles from home. I wish that it was closer, so I could go home more and spend less money on beer and such. My parents supported my decision, so I guess that they finally let go, although they get better throughout my HS days. I still get good (enough) grades and behave myself, since they are paying a few of my bills.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:41 PM
bcjim
Posting Guru
Maybe I was too harsh, I mean having loving parents isnt something to take for granted but at your age you should be making most of the decisions. Hopefully this isnt one of those situations where she will be coming to your new place someday to do laundry for you because your wife doesnt do it right.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:05 PM
bluesuedetruck
Senior User
I See It From BOTH Sides

RANGER...I am a 55 yr old father of two. My son was 19 when he moved out of the house for the first time. He lived in a rented house (we all "KIDDINGLY" called "The Crack House". It was really more like the Frat house in the movie "Animal House") with three guys for a full year. We worried about him every day but we let him work his nearly full time job AND attend college at the same time. As I was in the U.S. Navy myself at 18 during the Vietnam war I knew he had to live his own life. He then moved back home for a while, then later moved into an apartment with his sister when she was 24 (he was 26 by then). We then worried about BOTH of them. We tried to "guide" them as best parents could. My son was killed in a motor vehicle accident Easter morning of 2003. We NOW have our 27 year old daughter living back with us but RELUCTANTLY try to "let HER live her own life". Believe me, it is the hardest thing a parent could ever do! For almost three years we have tried to think of all the things we "should have done differently" that would have saved him. But it still comes down to this...it sounds like your parents are a little too restrictive but there is another side you might not understand to the parenting job. That side you will NEVER understand until the first time YOU hold YOUR child in your arms. At THAT moment the "job" meaning will hit you like a brick. Be understanding when your parents go a little overboard with protecting you from the world. If they're smart, they will know they can't protect you and I figure they are just trying to avoid the thing that many parents get hit with one day, losing their child and thinking they "should have done something different". Time will pass more quickly than you will imagine and you'll be on your own and hopefully look back fondly at the memory of their "overprotectiveness" and smile. I wish YOU and your family the best of luck in the future. Ken

Old 11-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's an approach:

Hey Mom....Dad... I have something to tell you .

I just wanted to let you know that I feel you have done such a great job helping me grow up and preparing me for the future as an adult,I have decided to leave home and start my adult life,
The first thing I will be needing is a driver's license as I will need to get from my new home to work and of course other places.Would I be able to use a car of yours or maybe I should just go through driver's Education ?

What do you think about this?

Old 11-07-2005, 07:04 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just don't end up like one of the Menendez brothers. (kidding)

Old 11-07-2005, 07:53 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,703 Likes on 1,316 Posts
Shoot...when I was 15 I had my license and was driving on the highway in 4" of snow to a cabin in the woods to get drunk with some good friends. Parents knew this, and were fine with it as long as I didnt drink and drive or ride with someone who was drinking (I, of course, knew the consequences of both and never did). I have never had a 'curfew,' I was free to go where ever I wanted...

I cant say the majority of what I did when I was younger (and still do now) because....errr...well....It just shouldnt be discussed in public...

Old 11-07-2005, 08:12 PM
the_hetz
Senior User

Old 11-08-2005, 07:42 PM
ranger rules
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Shoot...when I was 15 I had my license and was driving on the highway in 4" of snow
I might as well add this now. I will NEVER forget the day it snowed while I was at school. It was really just a flurry, there wasn't anything on the ground or anything and as soon as I got home from class the phone rang. My dad answered and it was my mom calling from work to see if I got home in the snow ok.!!!!!

Old 11-08-2005, 07:47 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Parents are going to worry about their kids, no matter what age.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:58 PM
duc_grrl
Senior User
My initial reaction was that your parents are way out of line. But then I wondered who is paying for the tuition? And who would have been paying for room & board or an apartment if you went to school farther away from home? And whether or not there was money/payment involved for driving school etc.?

I still don't think it's reasonable not to allow you to get your license, that's a skill we should all have as soon as possible and I think parents should help their kids get a license (not necessarily a car though!).

However as long as you are living under your parents' roof, you need to abide by their rules, it's their house and it's their money. You are an adult, so you are free to live the life of an adult whenever you chose to move out. It does involve paying for your own choices though. Then if your parents would like to still contribute, that would be a bonus.

Quick Reply: Overprotective Parents