Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear brake adjustment

Old 04-09-2002, 12:42 AM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
rear brake adjustment

What is the correct way to adjustr the rear brakes and what is the best way to tell when you have your rear brakes adjusted right? I have just been adjusting it to where each side locks up barely in gravel or loose dirt. Is there a faster way? :-staun

Old 04-09-2002, 01:30 AM
vf10goose
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear brake adjustment

if its the same as my 78, should be self adjusting, i would adjust them close, then when you are in reverse, it should self-adjust.. could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time

Goose

Old 04-09-2002, 02:47 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
rear brake adjustment

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Apr-02 AT 03:49 AM (EST)]As long as the adjuster wheel and pawl is in good shape, and everything is assembled properly, the rear drum brakes are self adjusting. I usually adjust them up reasonably close with a brake tool or screwdriver so that the brake pedal will at least stop before it hits the floor. The brake mechanism adjusts only when the brakes are applied when the vehicle is traveling in reverse. So what you do is drive back and forth, stomping on the brake in reverse. You can usually hear a click when they adjust. The brake pedal will stop traveling down as far when the brakes reach their optimum adjustment point.

Have fun!

over!

Old 04-09-2002, 08:29 AM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
rear brake adjustment

I would also agree that the brakes are self adjusting. There is a metal adjusting plate that turns the adjustment wheel when the brakes are applied. However, I find it hard to believe that you have to be going in reverse for them to adjust. I've been told that since I was a kid, but I can't see how it would make a difference. They should adjust themselves if you're standing still and pumping them.

I've disassembles and reassembled my rear brakes several times in the past few weeks. I see no difference in how they operate regardless of the direction of rotation.

I may be wrong so if someone could explain it, please do.

K.

Old 04-09-2002, 09:57 AM
BB
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
rear brake adjustment

That’s the way they adjust, going back and forth (assuming their not frozen). It has to do with the way the shoes wrap around into the drum when the brakes are applied. It’s like a servo action that multiplies the braking force, that’s why one shoe has a longer pad than the other, it’s the one being wrapped and pulled into the drum on application. This wrapping works in reverse to pull the wire to **** the bracket on the star and spin it which spreads the brakes apart. You need to go back and forth to **** the adjuster on the next star and release it as it turns the star adjuster. Sometimes you can hear the clicking going on. BTW you can feel this servo action when you’re sitting at a red light in drive, put it in neutral and the brake pedal should come up a ways. It’s the shoes unwinding from around the drum. Hope this makes sense.

Barry

Old 04-09-2002, 12:07 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
rear brake adjustment

I don't how you guys hear the click,my tire is too busy going
Screechhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!

I have also done this and ended up having to jck the trcuk up to loosen off the adjustment because it went too far and locked up the wheel.
From then on I just do the spin the tire and listen for a little
of the sound of the drum barely rubbing of the shoes.

[i][font color=blue]Dennis[/font][i]

[font color=red]Calgary,Alberta,Canada[/font]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Minimorleytruck.JPG

[i][font color=green]
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/Mil1ion.html [/font][i]

[font color =green] Please Don't Ask Me Any Tough Questions,
"I'm Saving My Memory For When I Develop Alzheimer's" [/font]

[font color=blue]78 F-150 429CJ,Silver,Explorer Pkg.
641/2-Mustang 260,Pre-World's Fair Car.
64-Fairlane500 S/C waiting for a 390-4spd.
68-Mustang 289-Sunlit Gold 80,892Mi
78-Buick LeSabre 403 4V
84 Volvo DL Wagon [/font]

Old 04-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
rear brake adjustment

Dennis- You can hear the click if you don't have the throttle AND the brake down all the way at the same time! -hehe

And BBB is correct, the "wrap" of the shoes pulls on the wire in reverse and ***** the little bracket or adjustment plate which is called a "pawl" rhymes with "awl". The next time you apply the brakes forward it moves the star wheel. When you do a brake job always inspect the pawl for a good edge and the star wheel for worn or missing teeth. If these parts are worn the self adjust mechanism will not function correctly, DUH! -hehe

over!

Old 04-09-2002, 04:47 PM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
rear brake adjustment

I did say that I may be wrong, and it appears that I was. It's hard to picture the parts moving like described. I have to install new drums tonight so I'll do it my way first. When that doesn't work, I'll do it the right way.

Thanks for the enlightenment!

Kevin K.

Old 04-09-2002, 07:58 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
rear brake adjustment

The brake shoes are free to rotate around inside the drum. The only thing that keeps them from spinning around is the anchor pin. When you are going backwards and apply the brake, the shoes are pushing against the front of the anchor pin, and pulling away from the back side. This pulls on the adjuster cable, pulling back the adjuster pawl. If the pawl can catch another notch on the star wheel the adjuster will turn when the brakes release. When going forward and the brakes are applied, the brake shoes push on the back side of the anchor pin and pull away from the front side. This does not pull on the adjuster cable. Therefore the brakes "adjust" only when stopping in reverse.

Take a look at the mechanism and see if you can figure out how this works. Remember that the shoes expand inside the drum and there is slop around the anchor pin. The wheel cylinder pushes the shoes apart near the anchor pin. The motion of the drum piles the shoes into each other thru the adjuster into the anchor pin, leaving a gap on the other side of the anchor pin.

over!