Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Shell Rotella ELC coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 06:39 AM
Saguaro_7.3
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F6TA-8B274-FA, that's the Ford part #. NAPA can cross reference the number.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:48 PM
taylormade99
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 00250diesel
thanks it just looks a little discolored is that normal? im not sure if there are deposits in it but i guess it doesnt hurt to rinse it out. i looked at napa and they had no idea what i was talking about is there anywhere online i can order the coolant from thanks
I didn't have much luck looking in all the usual places. ie Wal-Mart, Napa, etc. for the ELC coolant and I'm not sure about on-line, but eventually I was able to find it through one of our "Bulk" fuel distributors. Where I live we have some "card-lock" fueling distributors and one of them deals in Texaco and Shell products. I went to their main headquarters and found the Rotella ELC coolant there. $9 for 50/50 blend per gallon. If you have something similar in your area, you may check there. You may also check at a diesel/truck repair shop. I know many ORT rigs run the stuff as well as our D.O.T. I hope this helps.

From what I have gathered, it is not a major consumer product and is not stocked at your usual automotive stores, but some are able to get it. In fact, our local Napa said they could order it and have it here in a week, but at $20 per gallon 50/50!!! Needless to say I went searching further and found what I was looking for 1 mile away from my home.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:02 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
talormade,

You did better than I ever did. I went looking for our local Shell distributorship. They have it in stock, too. $22 a gallon for 100 percent, but a six-gallon "case" minimum. No exceptions.

I'm not ready to change mine right now, as I'm experimenting with extending the life of the additive chemistry of my conventional coolant (with the assistance of laboratory analysis), but when I DO go to an extended-life coolant, it'll be the Shell Rotella ELC.

Wish I could get my hands on a Shell "conversion kit" that they sell to the smaller OTR fleets. With an additive package, it "converts" a well-balanced conventional ethylene glycol coolant to ELC. Dip your existing with a test strip. If it passes, dump in the additive. Run it a few miles to mix it up. Pull a sample to send off to Shell for analysis to insure it "made it". Get results and run it 300,000 miles. Simple!

Pop

Old 11-09-2005, 08:05 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Wowzers!

I didn't realize that it was so expensive everywhere else!

Man I only paid $11 a gallon at a Napa store in Rapid City SD.

Should have bought a gallon or two more!

Old 11-10-2005, 10:16 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm with superrangerman...I paid $11 a gallon at my local Pep Boys. They keep the stuff in stock.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:24 PM
convincor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked mine up today from a local distributor. Couldn't find a retailer that had it.
50/50 $9.32 per gal. Buy the case only.

Old 11-11-2005, 09:52 PM
01stroker
Senior User
Originally Posted by twags6
Does anybody know the napa part number for the upper radiator hose that doesnt go through the fan belt? I looked on their site, but both said they go through and not around....?
I believe the part # is 9066. Tell them you want the one for the dual alternator set up. I got mine at Autozone. Most of the parts places have them.

Old 11-11-2005, 10:34 PM
underp2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
The coolant return flange is leaking a good one on my truck. I ordered some Shell Rotella ELC coolant to fill it back up. That doesn't need the additive like the green stuff does it?
kwik-

Not sure if you have been following my post on thermostats/coolant filters/leaks/etc? Do you have any pics of the leaky gasket that was the culprit? or could you point me in the right direction? is it right at the lower radiator hose, or is it part of the water pump?
I initially had some leaking at the thermostat housing, but that seems to have gone away and it is now leaking from somewhere lower (i think). The weird thing is that it only happens when I have the bypass to the coolant filter open. not as easy to work on things since i have moved-i miss my old garage. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I don't have any pictures, but it's the only flange on the bottom hose of the water pump. It comes out on the driver's side, goes through a two bolt flange, and elbows straight down to the bottom radiator hose. The two bolt flange is the one that was leaking. It's sealed up by a rediculuously skinny o-ring. I know for a fact that it is going to leak again long before this ELC coolant is worn out.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:02 PM
underp2
Senior User
I don't have any pictures, but it's the only flange on the bottom hose of the water pump. It comes out on the driver's side, goes through a two bolt flange, and elbows straight down to the bottom radiator hose. The two bolt flange is the one that was leaking. It's sealed up by a rediculuously skinny o-ring. I know for a fact that it is going to leak again long before this ELC coolant is worn out.
where did you get the replacement 'ridiculously small o-ring'? Do you happen to know the p/n? I will probably do that & replace the lower radiator hose at the same time - already did the upper when I installed the coolant filter.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I called Ford and they delivered it to my shop. I don't remember the part number. I just gave a description of it's location and function and they said: "Oh, that one, we have it." Yeah it was expensive at $5.++ for a stinkin' o-ring, but the shipping from an online source would have quickly overshadowed any savings.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:31 PM
underp2
Senior User
I called Ford and they delivered it to my shop. I don't remember the part number. I just gave a description of it's location and function and they said: "Oh, that one, we have it." Yeah it was expensive at $5.++ for a stinkin' o-ring, but the shipping from an online source would have quickly overshadowed any savings.
Ford dealer is right next door to me. that cuts down on shipping costs.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:17 PM
underp2
Senior User
Anyone using the Evans NPG+ from dieselsite? What's the difference between that & the other ELC's?

Old 03-07-2006, 06:19 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Saguaro_7.3
F6TA-8B274-FA, that's the Ford part #. NAPA can cross reference the number.
Motorcraft is KM-4351 or F81Z-8260-CA. I am reading this off the label

Old 03-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
the wal-mart by me just started carrying the cat elc for $9 a gallon but the more i read about it the more im not sure if i will do harm by changing out the green stuff. has anyone had any bad experiences with the elc?

Quick Reply: Shell Rotella ELC coolant