Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 10:59 PM
bckhntr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Limp Mode

Howdy y'all, I've got a 2005 F250 CC LB V10. I've had the truck for 10 months now and have about 6500 miles on it. So far I love the truck. BSEG as it goes!

In the last 5 days the truck has gone into Limp Mode twice. The first situation happend last friday. The truck sat all day at the parking lot at work. At the end of the day, I went to go home, started the truck. The truck hadn't idled down all the way yet (but close, I believe the RPM's were around 1000). I put the truck in reverse and the idiot light came on and you could notice the engine was running in limp mode.

Put the truck in park, shut it off. After about 30 seconds I started it up again and it was fine.

It was fine up until today. Again, it sat all day at work. I went to go home. Started the truck up let it idle down and left the parking lot. I got all the way home (a whole 3 miles or so interstate travel). Stopped at the mailbox to get the mail (the truck was still running and in park). I got back in the truck put it in drive and the light came on again and again, the engine was running in limp mode.

I did have the oil changed (2nd time already) a few weeks before and replaced the air filter already (it was pretty bad for only 5500 miles).

The check engine light did NOT come on at all either time. And again, each time it has happened, I shut the truck off and restart and it's fine.

I might also add that the engine was not overheating (according to the dash gauge) and there is plenty of coolant in the system.

I'm going to talk to the service dept but I thought I would see if any of you might have any ideas.

Thanks!

shane...

Old 10-12-2005, 01:09 AM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like maybe a bad coolant sensor. Maybe check the connection to it, it may just be loose.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:51 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you got no chk engine light ,what light came on as you stated?
This a hard to say because,there are a few things that put it in limp mode
overheat ,cht (cylinder head temp) extremely lean according to 02 sensors
but let us know the outcome from the dealer
Rich

Old 10-12-2005, 08:06 AM
bckhntr
Freshman User
The light that came on was the wrench symbol.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bckhtnr, just be thankful it is the truck having problems in this area and not you .Ha Ha

BFR, thanks for the Gear Ratio Formula. I did the math and if I go to a 65 series tire which is the only other E rating tire in the 18 inch size, that will turn my 4.10s into 4.24 and that is good because I am getting a fiver this spring and loaded up should be around 19000 combined weight.

Glad to see you back posting, you must have gone walkabout and I was getting concerned. Take care, Wrench.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is another post where the info on 2005 OBDII might be useful

This particular weird behavior could be as simple as loose gas cap, or a stuck coolant temp switch (on the 05 is called CHT for Cylinder Head Temp)

Or could be loose transmission electrical connector ( you did survey every electrical connector when you got the truck new ...right?)

I found several electrical connectors on day 1 that were "connected" but when I pushed them together, I heard the final click indicating they were really "locked"

Since this is intermittent I suspect a loose electrical connector.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...&menuIndex1=40

Old 10-12-2005, 01:26 PM
bckhntr
Freshman User
good one Wrench.... Yep, sure glad it ain't me havin the problem... As for the posting, I keep checking the site periodically for info but between work and hunting - I don't have much extra free time. Get done with work and go hunting pretty much every night plus I just got back from a 10 day annual antelope hunting trip.

Fred - No I didn't check all the electrical connections. Never thought of doing that. If I have time tonight I'll check the electrical connections.

the truck does go in tomorrow to have the service tech look at it. The service manager thought it might be the pcm.....

thanks for the info, I'll let you know what I find out from the service dept.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:04 AM
rlh68050
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bckhntr
The light that came on was the wrench symbol.
Wrench light on dash = problem with the electronic throttle control (ETC). The new 3v V10's don't have a throttle cable anymore, they are like alot of the new Fords - drive-by-wire. Yes, you will have to take it into the dealer for service.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:23 PM
bckhntr
Freshman User
Well, they hooked it up and found no codes at all. They thought that maybe I had disconnected the battery and cleared them but no, that didn't happen.

They found a bulletin that had symptoms similar to what happened plus a couple others that I noticed before but didn't think anything of it. The only difference is that no codes were produced on my truck and there should have been.

The fix for this is an update for the pcm. Unfortunately, they couldn't get that done today. Apparently, they need to update their WDS system and it kept kicking them out so they couldn't finish the process. Since I am heading out of town tomorrow, it goes back on Monday for them to finish up.

So we'll see what happens.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:27 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bckhtr,
can you tellus what those few other things were that you didn't think anything of at the time.
Thanks for the update
Rich

Old 10-13-2005, 11:51 PM
bckhntr
Freshman User
The main one was if I started the truck in the morning and if the engine hadn't idled down all the way and I put the truck in reverse to back out of the garage, it would seem like the engine would just chug along or another way to put it would be to surge. Real quick bursts of power and no power. I didn't notice any jumps in RPM though. Although when it would happen, I would quickly put into park and I wasn't really paying attention to the RPMs.

No messages or symbols lit up in the message center or anything like that.

If I put the truck in park again, it would idle higher again and slowly work down to the normal idle rpm.
Usually, when I start it up cold, it will idle up around 1300 - 1400 or so and after it has warmed up, it will hang around 600 - 800.

Another thing is, that when it works on idling down, it will drop down a couple hundred and go back up. It will keep going up and down until it gets to around 600 - 800.

When I've experience the chugging or surging, the RPM is usually around 1000 when I would put the truck in reverse.

I just figured it was due to the fact that it hadn't idled the way down. The same thing happen with my last f250 (an 02 with the 5.4) but only a couple of times. With the 05, it has happened more times.

I usually wait for it to idle all the way down but sometimes you get in a rush.....

I've gotten into the habit of using the remote starter before I get out to the truck so that it will have a chance to idle down before I get to it.

This is not the same "loss of power" that I noticed when the wrench light came on though. It was different. It didn't surge or anything, just notice a loss of power and a little more rough running.

I dont' recall how it was stated on the bulletin but it was very similar. It had a fairly large paragraph of problems/symptoms.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:56 AM
bckhntr
Freshman User
Update:

The truck ran fine all weekend, I had to take it back in this morning so they could do the PCM update.

I got in the truck, started it up, put the truck in Reverse and the light came on. It also didn't run right again.

So instead of turning it off and restarting, I put the truck in Park. The idle straightened out, put the truck in reverse and the engine seemed to run fine but the light was still on.

Drove to the dealership.

They called and said it was done. They still didn't get any error codes but they did the PCM update anyway.

As the service manager said -- Hopefully this will fix the problem. so we'll see what happens.

thanks for the info.

Last edited by bckhntr; 10-17-2005 at 11:58 AM. Reason: adjust wording
Old 10-19-2005, 12:36 PM
bckhntr
Freshman User
Update: 2 days after getting the PCM updated, the light came on again this morning. This time it came on during the drive to work (about 3 miles interestate).

Got to work, shut it off and started - light goes off. I call the dealer and the service manager says bring it in today.

So I took down there this morning and he calls back about 1 hour later and says that they finally were able to find the problem. The chip for the throttle body is the problem.

Problem 2 - they apparently broke two bolts during the process so the truck is disabled right now. I'll be getting a rental car but they said the parts would be in tomorrow.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I am starting to see a pattern here fellows

Any body else get the feeling that we should start suspecting the fire by wire system, first like we do with the IAC sysmtoms?

Old 10-19-2005, 01:02 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
I am starting to see a pattern here fellows

Any body else get the feeling that we should start suspecting the fire by wire system, first like we do with the IAC sysmtoms?
Isn't "fire-by-wire" what happens with the cruise control switch on the master cylinder?

I don't know man... With all this mamby-pamby 5-speed auto, tow/haul, fly-by-wire throttle... do I really want a new 3-valve?

Guess what? I'll be for saying that

Quick Reply: Limp Mode