General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Any Nascar Fans Here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 09:41 AM
oldmaninva
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Nascar Fans Here?

Just wondering what your opinions were on Brian Frances statements about multi-car teams and fans waving Rebel flags.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:59 AM
SuperBlue
Elder User
I think if they want to wave the confederate flag let them, its their heritage. I am by no means a racist nor have I ever been. If you're from the south fly it! What ever happened to the Winston Cup? All the money and support that made the sport what it is today is gone and some cheesy comm company is fly its colors, what's next, busch out and verizon in?

Old 10-09-2005, 10:17 AM
oldmaninva
Senior User
I agree, SuperBlue. The South,The Civil War, and all things related are a part of history. No amount of racial pressure will ever change that.Those of us from the south will not, and should not forget our heritage. The same goes for EVERYONE, regardless of their race, They should never be pressured by anyone to forget their history.
As far as Winston ( RJ Reynolds) goes, I feel sure that the goverment had a lot to do with their pulling their support. Was probably due to the ban on tobacco advertising.
My intent on this thread was to gather opinions on where "CUP" racing is headed in the future. Will Nascar's greed and pressure from the multi-million dollar sponsers change racing? Will the ever present pressure to be "politicaly correct" be it's ultimate ruin?

Old 10-09-2005, 10:19 AM
94van
Posting Guru
Brian France is getting more greedy every day. He and his crew are spitting on the folks whose parents waved the Confederate flag starting years ago, and put him and NASCAR where it is today.

He is starting to bypass the smaller tracks that are basis of NASCAR for the 150,000 seat tracks where he can line his pockets to the brim. He is being politically correct for his own benefit.

I'm not for, or against the Confederate flag, it's part of history. You just can't erase it to kiss up to folks.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:42 AM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Brian France is just trying to be political. Nascar has become so much big business now that there is very little resemblance to the original concept. They want to grow and big the big dog. The one thing they don't want is Roush to have another Cup championship. Nascar should look at the likes of CART and others that came along and then got to big. The fan base will start dropping as is seen by mt seats now.

On where is the Winston Cup, that was their decision not Nascar's. Winston had outside pressures to get out of the racing series and to drop their sponsorship.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:51 AM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the france family is a marketing machine. smokers are a dying breed,no pun intended (i'm a 2 pack/day marlboro dude). cell phone sales, on the otherhand, are going through the roof. compare your smokin buds to the ppl you know with a belt phone. i still call it winston cup, but i live so far in the mts of ny that up here d.w. still has a chance for another title. as far as the confederate flag, c'mon look how popular the dukes of hazzard movie was. you couldn't pay me to see it, but it is part of our heritage. and nascar didn't start in bangor maine. its a good thread oldmaninva

Old 10-09-2005, 11:08 AM
slash31938
Posting Guru
i guess all yall know my position on the confederate battle flag.[X]

I think NASCAR has become too big bisiness, thats why i enjoy the lower level dirt track racing better, where you have 2 man teams,little or no sponsers, and homebuilt race machines. i hate going to NASCAR races and seeing 20 billion advertisements for different products, unless theyre free samples. i like free samples! But i think they should have kept Winston as the sponser and i think busch should stay the sponser for the saturday races, its only right!

Old 10-09-2005, 11:17 AM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure you guys lost..

I'm pretty sure the ***** lost too.. you don't see people running around with swastika's 'because its their heritage'.

Seems to me the only reason people wave that flag is because other people don't want them to..

But, thats just my opinion.

I like watching NASCAR ocasionally, but i'm not into as much as I'm into football or formula 1 racing. Talledaga and Britsol are always fun..

Old 10-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Cudighi
Senior User
captain, you beat me to it. You speak what I was thinking reading this post. I follow NASCAR and to me, I'll take it over football. If you all don't like what is happening to it, turn it off.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:25 AM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
captain,,, have you ever been in nyc??? jeez there are all kinds of **** freaks there. win lose or draw, the poop always goes to the top of the septic tank. wether you agree with the confederate flag or not, you cant take it out of our history. you are right, it's mostly a "statement", but it's out there....though you should never compare a swastika to the confed. flag

Old 10-09-2005, 01:03 PM
markgilmore1322
Senior User
I'm not for, or against the Confederate flag either. . . But Brian France obviously hasn't been to Darlington, Martinsville, Bristol, Richmond, etc. lately. Plenty of Confederate flags around there. He'd much rather hang out at the big market tracks. Heck, the drivers even say they barely see the guy in the garage.

I don't know how he's going to "shrink" the multicar teams and get other owners in the sport. Especially where sponsors are involved in giving teams the money. It's costing around $15+ million to run a successful team. So just trying to shrink the multicar teams isn't going to break new owners into the sport. Costs have got to be significantly reduced. And introducting the "Car of Tomorrow" isn't going to help.

In short, I think Brian France is delusional. We shall see. . .

Old 10-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Anybody with half a clue about the confederate flag would know that the civil war was about states rights. Only when the north was almost bankrupt and losing did the mention of slavery become a rallying point for them. Remember, there were no taxes back then to support an army. The army was financed thru donations primarily from businesses. All of the fuss about the flag is somebody trying to manlipulate others for their purposes. Don't fall for the political BS. If you like it, fly it proudly, if you don't like it, look the other way.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:11 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

The thread was asking what people thought of Brian's remarks. Lets get this thread back on the original intent. Do not get side tracked or muddled here and get into personal issues with each other.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
I don't know what's going on, but I say fly it. I'm not racist in any way: the rebel flag for me symbolizes southern pride, which there is alot of around here. It represents a way of life. Not the slave plantations, just the good ol' southern hospitality, waving to people you don't know, hunting, fishing, and basically just our way of life.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:51 PM
FordGirl#2
New User
[B]I am an avid nascar fan I watch at home and attend races. I agree that Nascar has gotten too much into the almighty dollar instead of what it used to be. It is a shame that without the large wealthy sponsors drivers that may rival the likes of Dale Sr. and Rusty Wallace never get a chance to show us what they've got. Too bad.

Quick Reply: Any Nascar Fans Here?