1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rail Dust / Indutrial Fallout

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 04:17 PM
2003PSDF2504x4
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail Dust / Indutrial Fallout

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...ght=industrial

If you have a white truck, take a close look at the surface of the paint. On my 2003 and now on my 2005 I have noticed small rust like particles that are very hard to remove on the surface. I took my 2005 to the dealership today and they sent to the body shop to have the surfaced "clayed" and it was covered under warrentee. They called it industrial fallout. Others call it rail dust. Either way, take your new trucks back and have them fix it.

I also went around the dealers lot and noticed the rail dust on all the new white cars and trucks. They should just take care of this from the get go and not waste my f..... time.

Old 10-07-2005, 04:37 PM
1buzzbait
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
dealer aint got time to pre-take care of it,they r 2 buzy out there sprinklin the "rail-dust" all over yer rides!

Old 10-07-2005, 05:09 PM
booker250
Senior User
Mine (white) has blue overspray on one front fender.

I'm not a freak about the exterior of my truck, I beat on 'em pretty good, but, jeez... Thing's brand new.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:26 PM
4S FED
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2003PSDF2504x4
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...ght=industrial

If you have a white truck, take a close look at the surface of the paint. On my 2003 and now on my 2005 I have noticed small rust like particles that are very hard to remove on the surface. I took my 2005 to the dealership today and they sent to the body shop to have the surfaced "clayed" and it was covered under warrentee. They called it industrial fallout. Others call it rail dust. Either way, take your new trucks back and have them fix it.

I also went around the dealers lot and noticed the rail dust on all the new white cars and trucks. They should just take care of this from the get go and not waste my f..... time.
It might just be where you live. If you have a lot of industry around where you live, you are going to get chemicals in the air. Acid rain, rail dust, industrial fallout, they can all severely damage your paint. They are caustic and can bond with the paint surface of your truck. If left on there, they can "burn" your paint. Eventually, you will not be able to remove it. So, make sure you keep your truck washed and do a clay-detail every 6 mos. That should keep your truck's paint safe of major defects from these chemicals. - Jake

Old 10-07-2005, 06:25 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
I have 3 Oxford White trucks. 01,05,06 All PSDs. Oxford White has Black, Orange, Brown and Red Specks IN the paint. I Know this because I have had the Rear corner of my 01 and several New Tailgates Painted. That paint has the specks too!! You have to look really close!! The 01 was washed about 10 times in 3.5 years. I now have it washed and detailed about once every 2 months. I've never had a paint related problem!! I think "Rail-Dust" is another Laywer related problem. Seems to me that it would affect all trucks equally; Black, Silver, Red and Blue. But for some reason it doesn't!! Laywers just trying to make more money.

The first I ever heard of "rail-Dust" was on White Chevys. I had one, they have colored specks in the paint also!!

You may have had something removed that didn't need removing!!

Last edited by MobeyDick; 10-07-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:15 PM
4S FED
Senior User
Originally Posted by MobeyDick
You may have had something removed that didn't need removing!!
The Clay process that the dealer will use to clean his truck will not remove anything unless it is not suppose to be there. Your right, all colors have the problem of rail dust or I.F. . You just can't see it as well as when it is on a white or light painted vehicle. The only way you know it is there is to feel it. If you run your hand over a clean vehicle's paint and it feels rough to the touch, the paint is contaminated. Paint Clay will remove these contaminates from the top of the paint and make it smooth as glass.

Oh, and the "specks" that you see in the Oxford White paint is actually a Pearlescent or metallic additive. This substance is shiny in sunlight and reflects every color in the spectrum. Therefore, it could look red, green, blue, black, etc. depending on what angle you look at it. The Pearl itself is white or clear.

Rail-Dust looks a lot like this: (I wouldn't call it "Specks")

Last edited by 4S FED; 10-07-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:38 AM
aldonco
Freshman User
I had the same problem and i was given the same line of crap.I always had to keep the truck washed. If i did start having the specks show up i used soap and water first. If that didn't work i used a safe clearner to remove them. If you always keep a good coat of wax on the truck you should be ok. I know one thing i will never own a white vehicle again.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Chris_in_Texas
Senior User
I had the same issue with my white 2005. I didn't notice it until after I picked it up because it was dark out. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't get it out. So it went to the body shop and they had to wet sand it to get the surface rust off. In addition they put the clear coat protectant on after.

In the sun now it looks great, spots all gone.

Chris

Old 10-08-2005, 01:45 PM
2003PSDF2504x4
Junior User
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Texas
I had the same issue with my white 2005. I didn't notice it until after I picked it up because it was dark out. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't get it out. So it went to the body shop and they had to wet sand it to get the surface rust off. In addition they put the clear coat protectant on after.

In the sun now it looks great, spots all gone.

Chris
Hope you didn't pay for it.

Old 10-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Chris_in_Texas
Senior User
2003PSDF2504x4

Nope the dealer picked up the tab, as well as a rental car for almost 2 weeks. The spots I am told do show up in other colors, but not as pronounced. These were very small specks and it had to really be clean to tell, otherwise it looked like dirt.

Chris

Old 10-10-2005, 11:06 AM
2003PSDF2504x4
Junior User
Originally Posted by 4S FED
It might just be where you live. If you have a lot of industry around where you live, you are going to get chemicals in the air. Acid rain, rail dust, industrial fallout, they can all severely damage your paint.....
It's not where I live, it's where the trucks are built, i.e. Indutrial Fallout. I am in Southern California where there is little indutry that would cause this. The trains that transport these trucks also stop in many areas along the way where this buildup can also occur. If you have noticed, Audi is now transporting all vehicles with car covers. Either they were paying too much for the damages caused during transport or they are more customer service savvy.

Also keep in mind that all the 2006's sitting in the lot has the same "rail dust". I am sure all dealerships across the country have the same issues.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:26 PM
250FordTruck
Mountain Pass
My wife has a white Pontiac Grand Am. I end up claying the car about every 6 months. Whatever is getting on it seems to build up on the back portion of the car faster than any other section. Like most cars this part gets dirtier first. Since it keeps coming back I can only guess it is just in the air. I've been told it could be brake dust, from other car, or just contaminants in the air. My truck is red and my mustang is green so I can't see it but I can feel the differece after using the clay.

Your best bet is to get a clay bar and do it yourself. Any auto parts store will have them. They arent that expensive, maybe $20.00 and really do work and are not just a sales gimmic. A bar will last you a couple of years. You can tell the difference. Try this: Get a sandwhich baggie, put your hand in it and run it acrtoss your paint. You will feel the roughness. Clay the car and then try it. Smooth! Lik I said I do it about every six months. It takes about twice as long a washing your car. A little longer for the problem spots. But as a side benefit when you wax your car/truck it is surprisingly much easier and quicker.