1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

99 4.0 protection for when it runs out of water?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 12:22 AM
amish_dan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 4.0 protection for when it runs out of water?

heres one for yall. my wife topped off the radiator since we had a small leak and left the cap off. so all the water boiled right out.
it's a good thing i love her more than my truck.
any how i filled it back up after it cooled down and have driven it 150 miles or so and it seems fine. it got really hot! the gauge didn't say it was much but it was sputtering and dying on me when pulled over. my question is this, does that motor have the same protection as the newer f150s. they shut off half the cylenders so you can drive to the nearest water. if it does it makes sence that it's fine. i just want to know if i might have some life left in my motor. plus i'm consdiering selling it and i would not feel right telling somone the motor is fine if it may not be. thanks
dan

Old 10-03-2005, 04:44 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
It's called a "Fail-Safe Cooling Strategy" and I'm pretty sure your '99 4.0L Ranger has some form of it. Here's what my manual says:

Fail-Safe Cooling Strategy

The fail-safe cooling strategy is activated by the PCM only in the event that an overheating condition has been identified. This strategy provides engine temperature control when the cylinder head temperature exceeds certain limits. The cylinder head temperature is measured by the cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor.

A cooling system failure such as low coolant or coolant loss could cause an overheating condition. As a result, damage to major engine components could occur. Along with a CHT sensor, a special cooling strategy is used to prevent damage by allowing air cooling of the engine. The vehicle can be safely driven for a short time with some loss of performance.

Engine temperature is controlled by varying and alternating the number of disabled fuel injectors. This allows all cylinders to cool down. When the fuel injectors are disabled, their respective cylinders work as air pumps, and this air is used to cool down cylinders. The more fuel injectors that are disabled, the cooler the engine runs, but the engine has less power.

Before the fail-safe cooling strategy is activated, the instrument cluster engine coolant temperature gauge is within the hot zone and a temperature warning light comes on. If the overheating continues, the strategy begins to disable the fuel injectors, a DTC is stored in the PCM memory, and a malfunction indicator light (MIL) (either CHECK ENGINE or SERVICE ENGINE SOON), comes on. If the overheating condition continues further and a critical temperature is reached, all of the fuel injectors are turned off and the engine is disabled.

Last edited by Rockledge; 10-03-2005 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:37 AM
jimw411
Elder User
Thats interesting, i never knew about that, thanks...

Old 10-03-2005, 10:55 PM
amish_dan
Freshman User
sure is, i tell you what, that saved my butt!!!!