6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4L Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:12 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.4L Powerstroke

Ok, so as far as I know, the 6.0L will be replaced by early '06 in the '07 line-up. The new *diesel engine will be a 6.4L, which is (rumoured) to be a bored (and stroked?) 6.0L block, with new electronics, and a staged twin *turbo set-up, producing (I'm guessing) around 400hp, and massive amounts of torque.
There have been arguements over why this is happening, but I'm going to go with emissions for right now, because that seems most logical.
I have been looking a little bit, and I haven't heard or seen any concrete, solid evidence, or news that the 6.4L will even come to be.
So, my question is, does anyone else have any solid information? Any at all?
Also, what would you like to see come of this supposed engine?

*EDIT:The darn page took the words Diesel, and Turbo from my post, so I threw stars in front of them.

Last edited by NickFordMan; 09-29-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:37 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
check out the 6.4 forum. but it will have 4 egrs. and the turbo setup is the same as used on the v-6 navistar enigne you have a little turbo feeding a big turbo. it will be sold as a 07 model when ford changes the look of the sd to look like a tonka truck(which i thnk is a stupid move) they should not change the look of them.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:39 AM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Yeah, I hadn't actually been on the site the past couple days, just replying to threads that I was subscribed to...so of course, as soon as I make this thread, I roll on down the page, and I see the 6.4L forum. I'm a genius.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:39 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Moved to new forum

Old 10-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NickFordMan
There have been arguements over why this is happening, but I'm going to go with emissions for right now, because that seems most logical.
That is correct.

I have been looking a little bit, and I haven't heard or seen any concrete, solid evidence, or news that the 6.4L will even come to be.
Yes it is.

I am not allowed to say what I know (sorry guys) as I must respect my inside sources. I can say this engine and a lot of emissions equipment is stuffed in the truck. You will see a lot of new things in and under these trucks. There is also reportedly a power increase but nothing earth shattering.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Smile

Well Nick, I am an old guy buying new Ford pickups since 1975 and I have never seen such a short engine run in Ford pickups. The competition never changed engines to meet emissions. Nothing will ever convince me any different other than too many people had similar experiences that I had with my 04/04 PSD. Flame suit on and no more posts from me on this subject. Take care Nick and hang on to that 7.3 I had two of them , great engines.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:11 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
FordDoctor, how bad is the emission crap goin to be?
Wrench, I'm not even thinking about it too much, as long as the next engine is a step forward, I'm glad we are getting the 6.4L. I will hold on to the 7.3L for sure! Maybe ad a 6.4L...we'll see.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:24 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Maybe I`m outta the loop and not that mechanical savvy but how does chevy and dodge stack up against the new emissions laws? Weren`t their trucks also designed to meet the current standards(now)? Seems to me that it would be a industrywide thing. My.002

Hanklin

Old 10-02-2005, 10:29 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
That's what Wrench is argueing. Polar has stated that GM is coming out with a 6.9L in '08? i think, so I'm not sure how the emmissions of the 6.0L are compared to other diesels.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:35 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
FordDoctor, how bad is the emission crap goin to be?
Don't know for sure but it involves some new technology, a new exhaust system and a new fuel injection system. Have fun modding this one!

Old 10-03-2005, 09:50 AM
juniorf350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why in the hell would they put 4 egrs on them?

Old 10-03-2005, 04:27 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
I wander how much the life of the engine is shortened by that many EGR's.

Old 10-03-2005, 04:40 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
Have fun modding this one!
We will

Old 10-03-2005, 06:47 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
We will

Stir, stir, stir

I don't think Ford should whine to much about us modding the 6.0. I understand that some try to take it to the exterme, but if it worked as desinged ( I.E coolant puking in trucks NOT running tuners) and not needed 100 new flashes, and several other tsb's that should have been caught in house, and had a real time training program for their techs, I don't think many would have been inclined to get back some of what they originally paid for. Pilot injection, MPG that seemed to disapear with every new flash, the dipstick color, ect. ect. I understand on Fords position on their warranty, but I hate to be preached to after purchasing a $40,000 truck that does not live up to what we were promised. To be fair Ford does seem to have a handle on many of the 6.0 issues, but it should not have taken 4 years for this to happen.

Ryan
IH....."Too fast to farm, too slow to truck"

Old 10-03-2005, 07:30 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mrxlh
Stir, stir, stir

I don't think Ford should whine to much about us modding the 6.0. I understand that some try to take it to the exterme, but if it worked as desinged ( I.E coolant puking in trucks NOT running tuners) and not needed 100 new flashes, and several other tsb's that should have been caught in house, and had a real time training program for their techs, I don't think many would have been inclined to get back some of what they originally paid for. Pilot injection, MPG that seemed to disapear with every new flash, the dipstick color, ect. ect. I understand on Fords position on their warranty, but I hate to be preached to after purchasing a $40,000 truck that does not live up to what we were promised. To be fair Ford does seem to have a handle on many of the 6.0 issues, but it should not have taken 4 years for this to happen.

Ryan
IH....."Too fast to farm, too slow to truck"
Extremely well-said.

I only stir because Ford (and others) seem to find the new 6.4 amusing in respects to that they feel it will be "untuneable" and "unmoddable" due to PCM strategy and shear complexity...I've heard comments from engineers, technicans, and elsewhere.

We will see about that

Quick Reply: 6.4L Powerstroke