Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

Hey Tony

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:00 PM
UnderTakr
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tony

Hey Tony did you hook up your gauge pod and sensors yourself or have someone do it? I got mine and the gauges but im havin problems findin a few of the sensors on the truck!! I dont know if i should use the stock sensors or if i should install the new ones that came with the gauges! I have Volt,Tranny Temp, Water Temp and Oil Pressure!! I got the pod all painted and holes for the clips just nned to hook the guages up and get them workin!! If ya wanna help, or anyone for that matter i should be off on Saturday and free all day long, just give me a call or PM for addy!!

Jeff

Old 09-28-2005, 09:19 PM
97Centurion
Rub my Belly
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed my own. I think it's best to put a T fitting in so you can keep the stock sensors. Sometimes the computer uses them. I think the gauges are setup to use there own sensor only. Although there sensor is pretty generic.

The tranny temp was the easyest(sp)for me. WHat tranny do you have? Mine has a tset port on it. The sensor screwed right in. My oil pressure I haven't hooked up becuase it is a pita to get to on my truck but I planned on using a T for it. I don't have water temp but I think it has a seperate sensor for the computer and gauge. Atleast the BII did. The Volt on the BII I just hooked in a wire in the fuse panel. It only works when the key is on. The Amp gauge is different setup.

Did you get the pilliar pod or the one that goes under the dash? I wish they made ones for the f-150 like the 250 and 350 under dash style. I want more gauges. lol right know I have the oil pressure, Air pressure, Tranny temp, A/f ratio. I am going to have to ditch a few or find more places to mount the ones that I have when I install the Fuel pressure and Boost gauges. I also have the colloum pod. I really like that one. Wish it held 2 gauges instead of one.

Saturday I will be up in the Northland before the GTG. Not sure if I'll have a chance to stop by.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:39 PM
UnderTakr
Elder User
I got a pillar pod new for this year. Has 4 guage holes and i used Autometer.I go the voltmeter,Tranny Temp and Water Temp and oil pressure. All of them are electric gauges. I may need ya to help me get them installed. I know for sure that the Water Temp i can mount into the intake cause the stock one is in a different spot. Anyways if im off tomorrow i may start installin them!! I'll let ya know my progress on them!!

Old 09-28-2005, 11:00 PM
97Centurion
Rub my Belly
I haven't see a 4 gauge one. That sounds cool. Keep us updated. I'll help ya out anyway I can.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:39 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeff, you should have 1 in the intake and another on the head. The one in the intake is right next to the t-stat housing riser with an oval plug. Don't tap into the one on the head, it might enguage cylinder head over temp protection and the puter will start shuting down cyliders thinking it's hot, use the one in the intake and T off of it. Just my 2 cents lol

Old 09-30-2005, 08:51 PM
UnderTakr
Elder User
That i got figured out its the other sensors im worried about!! I wanna tap intot he oil pressure line and the tranny temp line!! Im wondering if i can just take out the stock sensors and replace with my guage sensors!! But i believe they will throw a check engine light code!!

Old 09-30-2005, 09:20 PM
97Centurion
Rub my Belly
That's kinda what I think will happen also. Not sure where all the sensors are on a V-10. Some vehicles have 2 sensors for each thing' like water, oil, etc. One sensor for the computer and one sensor for the gauges. If it goes you can replace one of the sensors for your gauges. You might have to check a chilton's for the schematics to figure out where and what all the sensors are for.

What Tranny does yours have? It may have a test port in it and if it does it will be a breeze to hook up. If not I think you would want to hook into the line that goes from the tranny to the cooler. You'll want to see what the tranny temp is before you cool it.

Does the V-10 have an external oil pressure line? Most of the guys have been putting a "T" in where the oil sender is.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:49 PM
UnderTakr
Elder User
I know the water temp sensor is on the head. Theres a plug in the intake where i can put the water temp sensor for the new guages. Im not sure what tranny it is but i believe its the same one that all trucks use. the auto with overdrive!! As for the oil pressure sensor, im not sure where it is and the chiltons doesnt tell me where its at other then on the drivers side block! It may be apain in the **** to get to!! Im gonna run the lines for everything tommorow afternoon and maybe hook them up if i can find the sensors and firgure out if i have to T or not!! May just unplug them and see if it throws a code or not!! Ill let ya know what happens after i try it!!

Jeff

Old 09-30-2005, 11:56 PM
97Centurion
Rub my Belly
On my engine the oil sendor is behind the oil filter. PITA to get to.

Also on the my tranny, there is a small plug on the drivers side. Take it out and a little bit of tranny fluid should leak out. Screw the sensor in place of the plug. The threads should be the same. Check them first though.

Hope that helps a little.

Old 10-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Bargod
Posting Guru
This sounds like quite the job, good luck Jeff. I hope everything works out smoothly for you.

Old 10-01-2005, 08:13 AM
bigdaddyTank
Elder User
I'm pretty sure the V10's used the 4R100 thats behind the 7.3 powerstrokes. There is a test port on the drivers side just above the second pan bolt back. The test port bolt is 11mm by the way. If you ever do one on a new Tourqueshift 5spd auto its in the same place. I have pictures on my web site because we have done both tranny's now.
Sorry cant help you on the other ones, I have just done Boost, Pyro, and Tranny on both mine and my dad's trucks.

Old 10-01-2005, 02:34 PM
fordnut1985
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tony is right, the OP sensor is right behind the filter like on a winsor block. Don't replace the factory sensor with the ones for the guage, it will throw a code. T into them and all will be fine. Have fun.