Sponsored by:

Dropping gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 03:20 PM
mds01
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dropping gas tank

I do most of my work in the driveway, by myself. What would I need to drop the gas tank, would jack stands work, is this a job I can do myself? I would like to replace my fuel sending unit (gas gauge doesnt work) and check a couple of other things out. Could ya all give me some tips and what to do and what not to do (like smoking a cigarette while doing it). I guess Im looking for what equipment I would need to this in my driveway, without my bronco being on a lift. Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:46 PM
bryang
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I have done them is, I had a piece of plywood under it about the size of the tank, and put a jack under it with just enough pressure to keep it up, removed the straps and let it down slowly. Helps to have someone there as well to kinda stabilize it. Make sure get as much gas out of it as you can first. Thats the way I've done em, someone may have a better idea.h

Old 09-23-2005, 04:22 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
I'll second what bryang said.
Have some tools, such as pliers for getting the hose clamps loose and a screwdriver.
You will have too drop the tank partway just enogh too get your arm in their and get the sender plug and fuel lines loose. Also, don't forget about the filler neck.
Oh yea, pull the fuelpump fuse and start the truck untill it starts dying, that way when you pull the fuel lines, the pressure doesent send gas into your face.

Hope that helps. good luck

Old 09-23-2005, 04:52 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You want to jack up your car first, that can make working underneath the car a lot easier. Note, if you have quick disconnect lines, make sure you buy the disconnect tool for it in advance, and have compressed air in hand in case you got some dirt in the quick disconnect couplers. I spent well over a day trying to disconnect the fuel lines above the tank.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i just dropped my tank last weekend. funny thing was is the straps didnt hold up the tank. the tank sits on the skid plate. there are 6 bolts holding that on. be sure that as much gas as possible is removed from the tank before you do this. mine had close to 5-8 gallons and was very heavy. a floor jack would help a lot for sure. my gauge stopped working as well so i went to ford and bought a new pump complete with sender and new float for $162. i figured i didnt want to go back in there again to replace the pump.
good luck i will have pics up on my super ford page tomorrow showing my progress putting it back to gether

Old 09-23-2005, 05:41 PM
bryang
New User
Wink

That is correct Kemical, just had a look. Never had to take the tank of my Bronc yet, but thats how I did it on other vehicles.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:29 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kemicalburns
i just dropped my tank last weekend. funny thing was is the straps didnt hold up the tank.
My 79 is the same way. No straps, just rubber strips in the skidplate where straps normally would be. That tank is way easy to drop with a floor jack.

Old 09-24-2005, 07:31 PM
dmbturbo69
New User
man it sucks dropping it with 32gals.
The hitch was in the way when I did it and had to cut off nuts w the sawzall big mess really sucked winter time chicago.

*You may need quick release tool for fuel lines if disconnecting them is necessary.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:12 PM
1sscav
Freshman User
Something else to do after you've dropped the tank. If you have carpet in the rear cargo area, roll it out of the way, measure an area about 12 inches square, centered over the gas sending unit in the gas tank and cut an access panel through the cargo bed. You'll need a larger piece of sheet metal and some screws to reattach it inside the cargo bay, but when the fuel pump/sending unit dies again, all you have to do is open the panel and take it out through the top. No tank dropping. Have done it to both my Broncos. Works like a charm.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:08 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since fuel pumps normally last 100,000+ miles, I don't think an access door is really necessary, and the cons may outweigh the pros.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:57 PM
1sscav
Freshman User
I've had to put 4 pumps in between both broncos in the last 2-3 years. Granted, they're Auto Zone specials, and I thought they should last longer than they did. But, so far, I've no problems with weight on the panel or leaks into the cargo area.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
when it comes to a part like this you should only buy ford parts from the dealer. the warranty is the same and the parts are far better quality. I would be pissed if i had to drop the damn tank again to remove a faulty pump. and cutting a hole in the back is an option. my pump was $162 from ford complete , how much was the autozone unit? and did it have everything including a new float?

Old 09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
tigerhawk_212
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got my pump at advance auto. It was the "Master" brand and I've had no problems with it. Of course it didn't come with a sending unit but if my sending unit goes out, im gonna replace my gas tank with a plastic tank while im dropping it.

Old 09-29-2005, 03:09 PM
Dutch123
Elder User
there's that 162$ part again , UGGGHHHH