1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Here We Go Again..

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 09:02 AM
lisadances
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here We Go Again..

Hiya!
So many people were so helpful to me last time I needed help, wonder if you'll help me out again.
My Explorer (I can't find a forum for it like I did before but imagine it would be a question someone with Excurion or other Ford SUV might be able to help with anyway)....has an a/c hiccup. My a/c was ice cold when I bought it last May and in the past couple weeks has just sort of fizzled out to imitate the heat of the external air ..NOT NICE, living in the 90s in the FL humidity)...
does a '98 still use freon? or what do you think could /might be wrong before I take it in and get bushwacked cuz I'm blonde? lol.
I'd soooo appreciate any replies you might have to offer me.

MERCI!
Lisa

Old 09-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Freak4Ford
Senior User
Its a real possiblity that you have a leak somewhere on your system. Get the opinions of some of your trusted friends and or relatives for a mechanic that they trust to check the mechanic check out your Air Conditioning system. It could be something as simple as a joint that has loosen over time or it may be a a little more complicated. If the leak cannot be easily found, then there is a dye they inject in your system to assist with determining the location of the leak. Once the dye is injected, they will use a ultra violet light that will show the exact location of the leak.

Another possibility is there is moisture in your system. Either way its all because there is a leak present on your system.

Your looking at charges for troubleshooting and a recharge at a minium. But you can call and get a estimate for troubleshooting and recharge in your area. At least this way you have an idea what you will have to spend.

Old 09-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Hollowpoint
Freshman User
I hate to say it, but you could be in for a major repair. I just traded in my beloved 98 Explorer Sport. 11 months ago I had the same problem. At the beginning of summer it worked just fine. As the the summer progressed, the ac got warmer. Finally it stopped working. Took about 2 weeks. Took it in because I was about to move across the country and had it looked at. It was the accumulator and compresser. The accumulator had rusted out and the compresser had a warn out clutch. Thank god for my extended warranty. I would have cost me almost $3500 (that is canadian money)for the repair. But you could have just a leak, as Freak4ford stated. But with a vehicle that is hitting 8 years old, you should be prepared for a big repair.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Machek
Freshman User
I was having a similar problem with my '98 Expy and discovered that the temperature control potentiometer was shot, causing the blend door to be open and allowing hot air from the heater to overwhelm the a/c.

Old 09-19-2005, 10:49 PM
buckarooboy
Freshman User
i had leak problems with my 93 volvo ac system, having had to replace the evaporator twice and spending more than $2k each time to so do. two years ago i read about a coolant called Duracool self installed it into my ac system and it has worked wellever since. the duracool is env friendly and the molecules are said to be larger than regular env friendly ac coolants. worked well for me. continues to work.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:09 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
the duracool is also sold as envirosafe and is the way to go it is only 5.00 a can.