Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mile Marker Customer Service very disappointing!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 02:35 PM
2000 Ex-cursion
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mile Marker Customer Service very disappointing!!

After researching for 2 months on which set of Hubs to get Warn or Milemarker. I decided on Mile Marker because of all of the Great reviews on this site. I installed them on 2/16/2015. They worked flawlessy through our huge ( to us ) snow storm. This morning I unlock the hubs and proceed on my daily route to work. At lunch I go out to get in my truck and glance down to see my Hub completely missing on the driverside. So I start to try and figure out what happened. I looked through the instructions again to insure I did not miss anything (although this is not rocket science by anymeans). I have always done all the work and maint. on all of my trucks and cars through the years. I am pretty confident in my ability to wrench on my vechicles. So I call Mile Marker and explain to them the sitiation and their response was " maybe someone stole, or loosened the bolts on it allowing it to come out. I advised my truck is always parked in front of a glass entrance. I run a recon shop for a large Auto dealership in Louisville ,Ky I assured Lisa that not only did not that happend but that response was absurb. I said I was confident on the installation and that possibly the locking spirolox ring broke allowing my hub to fly out. Well they refused to even fathom the idea and stated that I needed to send in a statement on installation by a certified tech and that they will send it to Walter in engineering to see if they approve it but that Lisa ( Director of Sales) stated we sell thousands of these hubs and that would not happen. Now Grant it I'm not perfect and you can always miss something or overlook something however I am very confident that I did not forget to install or not porperly seat the locking ring. To flat out refuse to help a customer who has purchased your product or least exploring the idea of helping resolve the issue is not very Customer Friendly. I advised Lisa that I found out about their product and choose their because of their high praises on FTE and that I would be posting my disappoint of the level of Customer satisfaction. Now I doubt if this affects the outcome but I did want to make it known that they want the sale but as far as the after sale or custome service they are very disappointing. I will buy Warn as replacements and certainly will not be buying any of Mile Marker Products in the future. Rant over. Time to get new hubs and install before the next round hits this evening. Be safe in your travels

Old 02-20-2015, 04:03 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
That really sucks, and it really could be anyone's fault. I understand where you're coming from being that you're not an idiot and the install isn't that hard. Also yes they have sold a million of them with no issues but eventually at lease one will. Now I hate playing Devils advocate but the chances of a bad part VS. a bad install are not in your favor I don' think they should have just said "Another one's on the way" but they shouldn't have said "Tough *******" either.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:52 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just did mile markers yesterday on mine. What rings did you use to install them? You mention spirolox and my truck had no use for those. Only the two lock rings were used and not those spirolox things.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:57 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
That really sucks, and it really could be anyone's fault. I understand where you're coming from being that you're not an idiot and the install isn't that hard. Also yes they have sold a million of them with no issues but eventually at lease one will. Now I hate playing Devils advocate but the chances of a bad part VS. a bad install are not in your favor I don' think they should have just said "Another one's on the way" but they shouldn't have said "Tough *******" either.
MAN ARE YOU SLIPPING APOCALYPSE X2
2000X: WELCOME to the world of XXX's PLEASE add your lo-cal so we know where U is

MY experience has been VERY different with MM : 1st as I read your thread immediately my mind went to some AH with an alan wrench wanted a $175.00 pair of hubs. I have had 5 sets over the years & never had any issue. ONE of them I bought at a garage sale for $50.00 but they did not have the installation hardware SO I called them up to tell them it was missing & they sent the hardware to me FREE on there dime to boot!! I mean HECK what more could ask for. If you go with WARN you are going to double your theft risk IF it were me I'd buy MM again & have a spare (which u should never need ) or you get them to sell you one at a discount !!

Old 02-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
MAN ARE YOU SLIPPING APOCALYPSE
2000X: WELCOME to the world of XXX's PLEASE add your lo-cal so we know where U is
So tired of saying it lol

Old 02-21-2015, 12:56 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Sorry, not meaning to be a jerk here, but what did you expect? I don't think there's a company in the world that would send you a free hub because you discovered one missing a few days after installing it, especially when it wasn't professionally installed. This is not a knock on you, just a statement of fact.

I do not see any bad customer service by Mile Marker, not by a long shot.

Like I said, not trying to be a jerk, but in my opinion, your expectations were too high given the circumstances.

Stewart

Old 02-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Sorry, not meaning to be a jerk here, but what did you expect? I don't think there's a company in the world that would send you a free hub because you discovered one missing a few days after installing it, especially when it wasn't professionally installed. This is not a knock on you, just a statement of fact.

Like I said, not trying to be a jerk, but in my opinion, your expectations were too high given the circumstances.

Stewart
They come in sets of 2 right? That's 50% of their product

Old 02-22-2015, 08:30 AM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

Stewart
I think they should have worked with him on it. An offer to replace at their cost would have changed it from a bad experience to a good one.

Customer service is the key to staying in business, if problems are that rare then the costs associated with helping him out are insignificant.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:30 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Perhaps he didn't use enough honey? Telling someone that their response is absurd when it is a very real possibility then threatening to trash them on a forum is not the road to a positive outcome. I just want to know what rings he used to install. Perhaps its just a nomenclature mixup, but if he managed to jam those spirolox rings in there I am curious how.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:59 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
Perhaps he didn't use enough honey? Telling someone that their response is absurd when it is a very real possibility then threatening to trash them on a forum is not the road to a positive outcome. I just want to know what rings he used to install. Perhaps its just a nomenclature mixup, but if he managed to jam those spirolox rings in there I am curious how.

That was my thought as well. We have only one side of the story & it does not sound very pleasant O/Poster never to be heard from again . For sure the spiral rings get tossed

Old 02-22-2015, 12:56 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
If the hub was totally missing, it HAS to be the snap ring that is at fault. It's the only thing that holds them in. I've used the spirolox type snap rings before, they have to be fed in at a angle to go in, than getting them back out is a huge pain sometimes. (If that's the style I'm thinking of, it's a full circle right?)

Either way, even the best of us forget stuff sometimes. I've put countless acles together, one time I forgot to bolt a dam spindle on, put the hub on, and when I went to wiggle it to make sure the bearings where set right, it wiggled. So apart it came. But I blaimed it on booze and a late night. Lol.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:07 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
If the hub was totally missing, it HAS to be the snap ring that is at fault. It's the only thing that holds them in. I've used the spirolox type snap rings before, they have to be fed in at a angle to go in, than getting them back out is a huge pain sometimes. (If that's the style I'm thinking of, it's a full circle right?)

Either way, even the best of us forget stuff sometimes. I've put countless acles together, one time I forgot to bolt a dam spindle on, put the hub on, and when I went to wiggle it to make sure the bearings where set right, it wiggled. So apart it came. But I blaimed it on booze and a late night. Lol.

On this application the spiral ring is at least 1/4" larger than the axel making impossible to use.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:05 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by harley4jcs
On this application the spiral ring is at least 1/4" larger than the axel making impossible to use.
Are we talking about the same ring?? The big f-er that goes into the grove on the ID of the Hub, and holds the lockout in?

Like this guy?

If yes, than that's what I'm using in the lockouts on my Excursion. And I have this type for the front axle on the Jeep.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:18 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Them be the 2 options as I remember them. However the 1st pictured is like 1/4" larger than the ID of the axel. At the time of install I saw no way in hell that sucker was getting inside.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:47 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

It goes! It's not the easiest to get back out, but it goes in. It has to get "fed" in, at a angle, and work your way around, n the last little bit of it gets shoved in with a screwdriver. And the whole time, you think "this is never going to come back out of there!" But it does. With some cussing of course!

Quick Reply: Mile Marker Customer Service very disappointing!!