Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Yanked the Intercooler today

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 11:09 PM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yanked the Intercooler today

I had to replace the water pump (120K) and I decided to pull the intercooler to clean it out. Since I do not have the CCV mod, I was curious as to how much of that material actually stays in the intercooler.

None.

Looks like it was cast yesterday. I soaked the cooler in Naptha for about two hours while I did the H20 pump - (Thank you Ford and International for the easiest pump swap in history.)
So after two hours I shook the cooler for about five minutes and pured it out. The Naptha was as clean as when I put it in. The turbo/intercooler ducting was also completely clean. The odd thing is that the silicone hose couplings were dirty with oil....but perfectly clean inside.

If anyone else has pulled their cooler to clean it, I would like to read your results.

My truck has 120K miles, and I am almost positive that the previous owner did not do anything other than take it to a local lube shop for maintenance.

Tag....your it.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:39 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
the amount of oil the goes through the ic on a good running truck is so minimal. thats why i havent re routed my ccv of put one of the racor filters on it. i think on my truck all the oil comes out my ic boots instead of going through the ic. its like the boots attract the oil.

Old 09-18-2005, 07:50 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Well that is good news! As I have often wondered how much crap is built up in the intercooler. Do think it is kinda odd that the boots build up with oil though and there is no trace of it else where.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:45 PM
nhancock
Senior User
Pulled mine when I was swapping the turbo at ~70,000. There was minimal oil residue in the cooler. Probably not worth the hassle of taking it out. I did the ccv mod on mine. It stays a lot cleaner under the hood now.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:39 PM
jamesj
Mountain Pass
sOME one please clue me in. What are involved in the CCV mod and please explain in details what I need to do and also what does it do to the engine?
Thanks for the reply

Old 09-20-2005, 08:46 PM
nhancock
Senior User
The crankcase vapors are routed back into the turbo inlet. That's where all the oil residue comes from that you see on the boots.

To reroute, you turn the fitting around on the drivers side valve cover and extend heater hose to the back of the truck. That's the short version.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...52B%25252Bvent

This is an old link that talks about it. On the second page, Heatstroked has a link to some pics of the mod.

Basically it helps keep the engine compartment cleaner. The downside is smelly vapor where it exits. Some complain of a large amount of white smoke or mist where it comes out, but I don't think it's that bad.

Last edited by nhancock; 09-20-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:03 AM
jamesj
Mountain Pass
Thanks NHANCOCK, I will see how much that Racor filter cost . It might be the proper way to go.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:55 AM
nhancock
Senior User
In case you want to try the mod, here's the description for the kit I purchased to do mine.(Courtesy of Heatstroked) From what I remember, the Racor unit was pricey when i checked into it.

Description (revised)

This Crankcase Vent (CCV) kit is designed to re-route your crankcase vapors and oil away from the intercooler and turbo toward the rear of your 99-03 PowerStroke 7.3 diesel.

The 4” x 1/8” thick, powder coated tube replaces your stock CV tube and bolts directly to your stock CV brace. These hot custom colored sleeves are powder coated and available in gloss red, chrome, gloss black, gloss yellow and gloss blue.

CV MOD ADVANTAGES:

The stock CV has an outlet tube inside the sleeve that has a 20% air restriction. This new CV sleeve is open and has no restriction allowing your turbo to breathe!
This CV mod eliminates oil from entering your turbo and your air-to-air intercooler system. This reduces oil accumulation in the intercooler system and keeps the intercooler operating at maximum cooling efficiency.
You’ve probably blown a few intercooler boots off your intercooler pipes and “Y” pipe huh? This keeps the oil out of the system and prevents the interconnecting boots from blowing off on WOT. Plus, there will be no more oil blow by around the boots and air intake that causes that oily mess under your hood.
Reduces exhaust smoke.
Adds that custom touch to match or enhance your under hood look.

This is one of the easiest and least expensive mods that all 99-03 PSD’s owners should perform. Just search the CCV mod or CV bypass on any of the Ford PowerStroke Forums and check it out!

Simply remove your stock CV and hose connector. Remove the screws on the stock breather and rotate 180° so it exits towards the firewall. Install the 90° elbow, hose, hose clamps and route towards down and inside the frame rail and towards the rear of the truck. Attach with tie strips. That’s it!

KIT INCLUDES:

ü Pick (1) Powder Coated, Custom Colored 4” x 1/8” Thick Aluminum CV Sleeve With Mounting Flange. (Will not bend, crack or deform when clamped or exposed to vibration, heat etc. This is high quality and heavy duty!)

ü (2) Stainless Steel Mounting Bolts With Washers And Nylocks.

ü 16’ of 3 /4” Heater Hose.

ü (1) Heat Rated (400°) Elbow For Hose Routing.

ü (6) 7” Black Tie Strips

ü (3) Hose Clamps

ü Installation Instructions

Old 09-21-2005, 12:46 PM
jamesj
Mountain Pass
Thanks again NHANCOCK, where did you buy the kit?

Old 09-21-2005, 01:33 PM
nhancock
Senior User
Send Heatstroked a private message or email him if he's allowed it. He was selling them on Ebay at the time. I'm not sure if he's still doing these or not. Let me know if you have trouble getting him, and I'll try to contact him via email also.

If you go back to the other post I had linked to earlier, he's the one that has pics of the mod on his truck. If you click on his ID, you should get a drop down list of options. Send a private message and send an email or are 2 of the options. (sorry if you already knew how to do this)

He's a nice guy and very helpful.

You're quite welcome.