Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recall notice, I thought this was only the newer trucks.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 04:52 PM
sideout2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recall notice, I thought this was only the newer trucks.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/recalls/...y-1996/t-55762

Old 09-13-2005, 05:18 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 09-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Popa Tim
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, there's the Announcement right above the two red 'Read First' post
missed it eh? hehehehe

Old 09-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Kista20
Elder User
I first found out about it here... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=409706

after that I googled it and called my ford dealer mon. morning and tommorrow I'm taking it in the morning to drop it off and they said that they're going to "waterproof" the plug, then in october when the parts come I have to take it back and they'll fix it. I told them mine had stopped working 2 months ago and I also said that I disconnected the switch. So anyways 2 months ago I went to drive it at night and I didn't have any dash lights or parking lights so I found which fuse it was and replaced that and fixed it. Also the same night I went to use my cruise control it would not work and I had already read on here (fte rules btw ) about the switch that goes bad so I unhooked it, so here it is 2 months later and finally they come out with the recall. What gets me is that they knew about it before when they recalled the last bunch. I love my truck and all but ford really let the ball drop on that one

Old 09-13-2005, 10:02 PM
sideout2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Popa Tim
Yeah, there's the Announcement right above the two red 'Read First' post
missed it eh? hehehehe
Ahh Announcement, Safety recall yep missed it, I apologize for taking your time. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Kista20
Elder User
I like how in the first sentence it says "voluntary". They knew that the nhtsa would've eventually made them do it anyways. I don't think that the manufactures have to do recalls but if it's safety related the gov't can step in and force them to do it.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:48 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 235 Likes on 184 Posts
FORD says:

<!--StartFragment -->"Ford has worked closely with NHTSA to investigate this issue. Ford's investigation found that brake fluid may leak through the speed control deactivation switch into the speed control system electrical components, potentially corroding them. In rare cases, the corrosion in the electrical components can lead to increasing resistance and higher electrical current flow through the system. Together, these conditions could lead to overheating and, possibly, a fire at the switch. This system interaction is the result of the close proximity and orientation of the speed control components in the recalled vehicles."

Did anybody read what they said?

I do not think so.

1. How can brake fluid leak though a switch and get into an another system?
Wires are carriers of current, not liquid.

2. If it did do this they are not doing anything to the speed control components.
The only component in the area is the Speed Control Servo.

3. Increasing the resistance reduces the current flow and will not increase it.

4. A fire at the switch, what is burning?

Is brake fluid flammable, the container it comes in does not say so.

Are the wires over heating and burning? You mean they can not carry 15 Amps.

I own one of these and this all doesn’t sound right to me. Do the Ford Trucks catch on fire and burn? Yes they do but I do not think that NHTSA and FORD are in the right place.

I am more worried about that large unprotected, always hot battery cable running from the battery down along side the engines exhaust manifold to the starter. This would start a fire in a hurry on a "V" type engine. Any inline 6's burned up?

Why did they have to change to this?

Last edited by subford; 09-14-2005 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:02 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Best I understand, the switch can short to ground through the brake fluid when the internal diaphragm breaks, creating a short circuit. The higher resistance means more heat, and with a possible short to ground, it is certainly possible to start a fire. The wires there are likely not designed to carry 15A, because they are just signal wires. The computer only needs to see a voltage to know the switch is closed.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Blurry94
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Both of my trucks are covered.

If you want to check to see if your rig is covered then click on the link below, scroll down a bit and type in your VIN#

http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/owne...ls/default.htm

Old 09-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Kista20
Elder User
lol now this is some funny stuff... I went this morning to drop my truck off and tell them that I had already unhooked the switch 2 months because the cruise stopped working and I read on the internet that if it stops working to disconnect the switch. So then he tells me it will only take a few min. for them to tape it up and "waterproof" it. So anyways we go into parts to get some heater hoses for dads truck and the same guy goes outside and pops the hood and comes back and says that the plug is not there and he's going to find out what they're gonna do about that. Then I tell him again that it stopped working 2 months ago and I unhooked it and now the plug must've fell off the wires. So anyways he goes inside to talk to someone about it and I'm like huh? I know the plug was on the wires really good and how could it just fall off so I went over to the truck and fish around underneath the master cylinder and pull everything up and bam there it is. So I go back inside to wait on the "dipstick" to get done talking to whoever it was in the office. He comes out and I tell him I found the plug and it was underneath the master cylinder and he said that it would take a little longer because they are going to replace my switch that is leaking. So when me and dad was getting ready to leave I told him I better put the plug where I know they can find it so I wedged it in between the switch and the reservoir so it was right on top. So I'm thinking if they can't find it now somethings wrong. So we left and an hour and a half later they called and said they was done and I could just drive off in it. Well all in all I got free switch and my cruise works again but I still have to take it back in october for them to put the circuit breaker on it.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Brake fluid IS flamable.

and a braided wire or stranded wire will allow flow of oil, or liquids.

Old 09-24-2005, 05:22 PM
DARK_HORSE
New User
I just had my 96 Bronco done. It was a new sensor and a harness. The dealer just gave me the parts to take home. My 96 F-150 caught on fire because of this problem. The plastic on the sensor was actually on fire. I was lucky I was working on the truck with the hood up at the time.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:20 PM
hovey30
Junior User
The problem with this switch is first of all if you take the connector off and check across it with a multimeter, you will see 12 volts at all times whether the key is on or not. Inside this switch is a pizioelectric pressure element mounted to a very thin diaphram. When you press the brake pedal the fluid pressure in the master cylinder opens the switch which shuts down the cruise control. When the diaphram develops a crack over time as all diaphrams do, you now have a 12 volt heater element immersed in brake fluid. The fluid eventually boils and presto you're up in flames.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:52 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
Wink

I only have a 96 XL if i did have a XLT with Cruse Control i would disable it.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:14 AM
omni
Posting Guru
they sent me a letter telling me my 94 was on the recall list, I've had my switch disconnected for a few months now not taking any chances, the letter told me they where going to do a temperary fix till the actual parts to fix it where avaliable