Sponsored by:

Bucket Seat Upholstery

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 07:08 AM
skips69
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bucket Seat Upholstery

I've got front buckets out of a 78' Bronco, and want to get them reupholstered (I can do it myself, just need the new skins). I would like to get something in gray, maybe 2 tone gray and blue to match the (planned) new interior. All I can find are plain ribbed vinyl covers. What I really want is the style that had the perforated and pleated centers, and smooth outers. Exactly like the split bench seat that is in my 78' F150 - It is brown on the outers and tan in the middle of the 2 seat halves. I am wanting to do something a little more flashier than plain vinyl, but not going full blown custom either. Anyway, I have checked with NPD, JC Whitney, Paddock, Dennis Carpenter and LMC. No help. Got any other leads for me to follow? I need to get these seats done, so I can paint and upholster the rest of the interior................

Old 09-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Try a local auto upholstery shop. They have a large selection of materials to work from.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:18 PM
skips69
Senior User
Yeah, I guess that's where I am leaning towards now. I'm afraid they'll end up running more than the $250 I can expect to pay for a kit. But I do have the jump seats, center console, rear seat area trim, etc, etc. to do as well. Might as well get some quotes and see what shakes out. If I look at the big picture of all that really needs done, maybe the total cost of the interior will be less or close to what it's gonna eventually run me, trying to figure out a piece at a time..........

Old 09-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Barrin
Freshman User
are you going to try and get it watter proof?
Like using fake lether (mahogany) type material...
thats what I am planning on doing.
I might just opt for Mossy oak brand cammo seat covers..
the ones that are watter proof...
Good luck.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:11 PM
skips69
Senior User
No, not concernd with water proofing anything - I'll just roll the windows up if it starts to rain, ha, ha. No, seriously though, what I am trying to do is restore/renew the interior to like new, but use a color never originally offered. This is all planned for my 78' Super Cab 4x4. The seats and console are from a 78' Bronco. I want buckets and a center console, and am trying to stay with the same era (buckets were never offered, but they fit the cab good and look like they belong), so that's why I haven't opted to get something from a late model truck or Explorer, etc. My truck is currently brown and tan - exterior and interior. I am painting it Blue and Argent two tone (with factory race track trim). So, for the interior I thought I would predominantly make it a medium or light gray, maybe with some similiar blue colored accents to match the exterior. I really want to retain the original look, but with the different color schemes. I don't want it to look customized or too overboard. So, just trying to figure the bucket seats out first, then I can move on to the rest of the trim and interior stuff from there. I do know that the metal dash, kick panel areas, inside of the doors, and any other exposed metal in the interior will be painted to match the exterior color blue. Then the dash pad, door panels, etc. will be dyed whatever color gray matches the seats (eventually). The jump seats look pretty straight forward, so I anticipate that I can find somebody compenent enough to sew some new covers for them to match the front seats as well. I figured the remaining plastic trim, vinyl trim, headliner, sunvisors, etc. could either be dyed or covered in like material used on the bucket seats. If you look at one of our member's gallery (skipped_link), you'll see what I am after in a nutshell. His truck is very clean and the basic look he has is what I am after, but trying to use these buckets, console, and jump seats that I have. I don't want to make a direct copy of his truck, but it's a great looking template for what I am after.