General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Hurricane Katrina

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 03:19 AM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurricane Katrina

I was just looking at the weather updates on Hurricane Katrina. She is defenitly one to look out for. At 0415 Eastern she has 145 MPH sustained winds and is heading straight for New Orleans, LA.

- Chris

Old 08-28-2005, 07:05 AM
remf
Senior User
Regardless of where it is projected now, it would be prudent to pay attention to anywhere along the area with a hurricane warning or a watch. Those storms don't read the papers, and kind of go where they please . Did think it odd to read Friday(after it passed over lower Florida) that the offshore oil operations in the Gulf would not be effected, and then read last night that evacuation off the rigs has started.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:46 AM
peppy
Postmaster
Well, Like I said HERE ............
Now Catagory 5 ......and oh so big...... crazy man...... New Orleans be lucky to float back up out of this one.
160 mph sustained wind currently. Gonna be a very ugly event.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Boxerbriefstud85
Junior User
You are absolutely right, the hurricane will destroy the city. Well I went through three of them last year right on my house, it was not pretty, and do not wish that for anyone. Considering the rain and inflow of water is going to render their pumps useless...it is going to be damn ugly. I'd be hightailin' it out of there as soon as possible. If not, going to higher ground would be the best thing to do, because at the end of the day the city might end up looking like venice.

Take care,

Dave

Old 08-28-2005, 08:27 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
This is going to be a bad one...they need to leave quick...god bless them all

Old 08-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pack lots of water, and HAUL BUNS!!!

I know that sounds kind of crazy, but it is worth the trouble.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:25 AM
1bigsteve
Senior User
Talking

Right. Don't fool around with a hurricane just get out of the way. You can party when you return. I remember Camille in '69. Gone With The Wind.....

-1bigsteve (o:

Old 08-28-2005, 09:31 AM
bigdmizer
Elder User
God speed to all those in it's path. It's going to keep gaining strength until land fall. There is no wind sheer occuring like they hoped, which would have weakened it. Going strickly by the barometer readings it could very well be the strongest hurricane to ever hit the US mainland. Unfortunately it will be hitting perhaps the weakest city, New Orleans. It will take years for the city to fully recover from this one.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:38 AM
jgc2521
Elder User
I just hope

I just hope it doesnt followthe mississippi river... if it does i'm gonna be in bigger trouble than im in now... I live 38 miles nw of Baton rouge on False River (old oxbow of the mississippi) And im bout 2 hooker up and hauler out. I gotta question... is my truck teqnically broken in it has about 1500 miles on it. Im gonna do what i gotta do... I'm gonna hoke up the camper and get out of here after i get things strait. -jg

Old 08-28-2005, 09:53 AM
1bigsteve
Senior User
Talking

Originally Posted by jgc2521
I just hope it doesnt followthe mississippi river... if it does i'm gonna be in bigger trouble than im in now... I live 38 miles nw of Baton rouge on False River (old oxbow of the mississippi) And im bout 2 hooker up and hauler out. I gotta question... is my truck teqnically broken in it has about 1500 miles on it. Im gonna do what i gotta do... I'm gonna hoke up the camper and get out of here after i get things strait. -jg

Don't worry about the engine just get out! 1500 sounds good to me. Talk to you when you get back. Be careful!!

-1bigsteve (o:

Old 08-28-2005, 10:05 AM
remf
Senior User
Being the wimp that I am, if the local authorities say leave, I would not ask questions, and leave. Even if the Weather Service only correctly predicts landfall one out of ten times, that is still pretty dang good enough for me. Tropical cyclones, regardless of category, are nasty beasts (and oddly enough, beasts not only for areas along a coast, but even several hundreds of miles inland - the flooding those suckers cause in Ohio, PA, MD, etc, is amazing.)

Old 08-28-2005, 10:51 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
We live about 60 miles southeast of New Orleans and didnt hear about this storm until we were on the road coming up to Georgia to attend my grandfathers funeral. After the funeral we started watching and keeping up with the storm we decided that the best thing we could do is stay where we are. I hope and pray that we are spared devastating damage but am not naive enough to believe so. Our families are safe for now but we still are very worried for them. We will be staying here until we have a reason to come home, and not knowing if we will have a reason, keep us in mind as you guys keep up with this storm and wish us the best.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:23 AM
jgc2521
Elder User
-

Well, put the camper in the warehouse at work... empty right now cause all the crops are planted. so just the truck...and family. well talk to yall in a couple days i guess. -jg

Old 08-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
I've been sitting here all afternoon working on a model and had Fox News on in the background, just to have something to listen to. It really caught my attention a couple minutes ago, they had Shepard Smith in and around Bourbon Steet. People were partying and having a good time and were getting angry at the media for saying how bad the storm was. The basic attitude was, it's not going to be that bad.

I've been through plenty of category 1's and had my share of 2 - 3's. I would only take my chances in a 5 if I was on very high ground in a well secured structure. These people are nuts for not doing what they have to do to get out.

- Chris

Old 08-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been watching the events on this storm on CNN now for a couple of hours. On radar it looks to be a terrible storm coming in and getting worse. For those that have not left New Orleans for whatever reason, may God's speed be with them and all of those in Katrina's path. I just cannot fathom the devastation this thing may cause, and I feel very helpless and sad at this time , as I watch our brethren scatter for their lives and if they survive, will come back to nothing resembling their home. .

Quick Reply: Hurricane Katrina