6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Coolant Blowing 6.0's

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:34 AM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Blowing 6.0's

Hey People....
Been a while since I have been here, so I am sure I have missed something. I want to start a paper trail on my truck... blows coolant out when I am hotrodding it, as in repeated 0-80+ mph runs, or running hard continuously at 3000+ rpm for long periods of time. I know, I know, the Ford techs are all gonna tell me it is hurt, and I am sure in some way it is. The thing is, if I take it to the dealer (my friend is a 20+ year diesel tech there) and ask them to check for CO2 in the degas bottle, there may be none, on account it only pressurizes when run hard. What should I tell the service writer, and what should I have my friend the tech put in the comments for when I really need something done? Mileage is currently 25000. BTW, running the EDGE on level 3 or 4, SCT trans. tune only. Matt if you happen to read this, what is the name of that company that does the cylinder head
and block o-ringing?

everybody have a great day!

Tim

Old 07-29-2005, 11:16 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your head gaskets are roasted. When you take it in, I would also advise having them replace the EGR cooler as getting them hot can sometimes begin to melt the silver solder holding stainless heat sink in the tube.

Any shop will be able to make the cuts in either the block or the cylinder heads for the c-rings. I would advise doing so in the cylinder head, simply for simplicity. The c-rings and gaskets are available from Hypermax and dont *require* aftermarket head bolts to use, even though I would strongly recommend waiting for good studs to become available, or finding a set of ARP's through Summit. Summit carries them, but you will need to call and get someone competent on the phone, as they don't have them listed for the 6.0 in their normal catalog.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ARP will make studs to your specs. Length, dia., and thread. They've done it it for my 302 GMC 6 at different times. They only make ones in "stock" after enough calls... 3 days in the big brown truck from the call....Good Luck

Old 07-29-2005, 03:00 PM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Thanks guys. Matt I know you are not a fan of ARP, but I may not be able to wait. The ARP stuff that is currently available, are the they bolts, or studs? Just wondering about the complications of installing the heads after studs are installed, on account of all the horror stories I have heard about removing the cab.

Thanks,

Tim

Old 07-29-2005, 03:25 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SoCalSuperDuty03
Thanks guys. Matt I know you are not a fan of ARP, but I may not be able to wait. The ARP stuff that is currently available, are the they bolts, or studs? Just wondering about the complications of installing the heads after studs are installed, on account of all the horror stories I have heard about removing the cab.

Thanks,

Tim
They are studs.

You will either have to remove the engine or remove the cab to do the job regardless of studs; it simply isn't feasible to remove the passenger side cylinder head even in stock form without either one.

I have personally removed the cab from my truck 3 times; If you are working with a service department you trust, just let them do it. I have heard all the *terror* stories, and personally I just don't see why people are so afraid of it. There are less potential problems doing so than removing the engine- it also consumes less time and makes the labor much easier. The worst thing I have ever seen happen is to have the body mounts sqeak after reinstallation. An hour with a 2x4, a floor jack, a grease gun and an impact wrench will fix that problem.

I wouldn't consider using the ARP's a problem. The C-rings from Hypermax will allow for some head lift by design- that is the purpose of the c-ring itself. They have been running well over 100 pounds of boost with those rings on stock head bolts, so the ARP's should do just fine.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:21 PM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Thanks Matt...
Are there any distributors for Hypermax... or does everyone pay the $1000.00 for the gaskets, no matter who they are? I sure would like to save a couple bucks. In your opinion, after I do this, will I be able to hammer my truck without fear of a Coolant Shower?? I have resigned myself to not run The Edge module past 3 (or maybe 4!) and the SCT is in trans. file only.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2005, 04:57 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SoCalSuperDuty03
Thanks Matt...
Are there any distributors for Hypermax... or does everyone pay the $1000.00 for the gaskets, no matter who they are? I sure would like to save a couple bucks. In your opinion, after I do this, will I be able to hammer my truck without fear of a Coolant Shower?? I have resigned myself to not run The Edge module past 3 (or maybe 4!) and the SCT is in trans. file only.

Thanks
If the heads are ringed, and the EGR cooler flow is blocked off, you reasonably can't do any harm to the coolant system period.

I don't know of any distrubutors for Hypermax; I have always reached them directly.

Turn the Edge up on 5 and leave it after you get it done. Better yet, just ditch the Edge and get a custom high performance tune from one of the many SCT distrubutors since you already have the hardware, and don't let off the throttle...for anything

PS- while you are in there, rip the pistons out and send them off for ceramic coating. You are only looking at 400-500 dollars for face, skirt, and bottom coating and it is some great insurance against EGT (which means on a motor such as this, you really won't have any more EGT concern period as the pistons are the only part that can reasonably be damaged from heat).

Old 07-29-2005, 11:10 PM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Ha Ha!! I am definitely inclined to be right foot heavy!! I have actually used ceramic coating years ago for gasoline turbo engines, that is an awesome idea. Now if I can talk myself into ripping into the bottom end! Did you pen a little how-to article on the best way to block off the EGR cooler? If so, can you give me a link to it?
I will be coming to NC sometime before Christmas, I wanna track you down and pick your brain.

Thanks!!!!
Tim

Old 07-29-2005, 11:12 PM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
P.S.
Who do you use for ceramic coating, someone on the East Coast?

Old 07-30-2005, 09:55 AM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Ken Englesman at DPS in Saranac, MI.

There's a crappy picture and a short write-up in the EGR disconnect thread somewhere near the top on how to cut off the EGR cooler flow tube from the uppipe and cap it off.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:58 AM
usroute66
Senior User
Hey SoCal, I just bought mine from Ford of Montebello...where is your friend a Diesel tech? I am looking for the best dealer for maintance?

Old 07-30-2005, 08:05 PM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
route 66,
Fairview Ford in San Bernardino.... and he is so worth the drive. I have talked with a grip of supposed factory trained International Harvester and FoMoCo techs, and none of them have answers like this guy. Plus, he is a drag racer, puts together pretty nice alcohol/nitro engines, so he is not one of the "leave it stock" guys.

Tim

Old 07-30-2005, 08:07 PM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Thanks Matt... check your pm's when you get a chance.

Old 07-31-2005, 11:16 AM
usroute66
Senior User
SoCal...that's really funny. What started my need to have a F-250 Supercab Fx4 was at that dealer. I happened to be on my way to Big Bear to dirt bike, and stopped at the Del Taco next to their lot...and saw this white Supercab on the lot...it looked so stunning, and I was in the mood for new truck. So I called and it was sold. I searched on-line for the next three weeks and found the exact same truck at Ford of Montebello. I live in Culver City. Fairview is a bit of a hoof, but if I come up with an issue, I will make the trip. Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:58 PM
DSI
New User
i received my ARP stud's 3 weeks ago, and tok my truck in to have them installed, along with new head gasket's and O-rings. the cab was NOT lifted, and the block was NOT emoved from the truck.

the stud's were put into the head wit rubber bands around them to keep them from dropping through, then the head set onto the block, plenty of room to torque the nut's...

i also had injector's done at the same time to save labor later towed a whale of an enclosed trailer this weekend, and had not one issue on grades i knew where the truck would begin to puke at.

when i get my SCT file's this week i will get them loaded and report back. the file will remove the EGR from the system, and the freeze plug was installed at the cooler inlet, so i will not have a chance to flash any coolant in the cooler.

BTW i am out of warrenty...

Quick Reply: Coolant Blowing 6.0's