what engine should i choose

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 11:55 PM
77mudfiend
Question what engine should i choose

i have a 77' f150 short box with a 351windsor in it. the engine was out of a 79' ltd. the engine just started to knock so im figuring it is just a matter of time till i need a new engine but im not sure what i want. im thinkin go with a 400 but im not sure i was thinking maybe somone could tell me what the best engine to put in would be.
thanks -jake

Old 07-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Moved to proper forum.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, welcome aboard!

Secondly we need to do something, verify that you have a W motor in that truck. Just look at the two top bolts on the back of the bellhousing. If they are 5" apart, then it is a W motor. If they are closer to 7" apart, then it is a M motor. That said, the two motors do not share bellhousings. If you want to keep the current tranny, then you will need to stick with the specific motor family. The 400 engine is the M family, so that is why you need to verify what you have and want to do.

Let us know what you have for sure and what you wish to do/accomplish with your truck, then we can recommend away (we are really good at spending other folks' money).

--Mike

Old 07-22-2005, 04:56 PM
steaminmikado
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
think about it

i have a 351M in my truck.. i've talked to the original owner of my truck and he told me he used to pull bob-cats with it. he also informed me that he pulled the motor out of the truck and had it built. it has a crane cam, crank, rods, and a high volume oil pump. my truck in my possession at this time is a mud truck and i've taken it out a few times and i've got some worn cam bearings b/c my oil pressure is dropping. engine kits are exxxpensive for these 351M engines and i'm concidering putting a chevy engine in my truck but i don't know yet.. let me know ya'lls thoughts.. thanks bobby

Old 07-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
steam , swap to a 460. you can keep same tranny and wiring and mounts are easy to locate as well.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:29 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by steaminmikado
i have a 351M in my truck.. i've talked to the original owner of my truck and he told me he used to pull bob-cats with it. he also informed me that he pulled the motor out of the truck and had it built. it has a crane cam, crank, rods, and a high volume oil pump. my truck in my possession at this time is a mud truck and i've taken it out a few times and i've got some worn cam bearings b/c my oil pressure is dropping. engine kits are exxxpensive for these 351M engines and i'm concidering putting a chevy engine in my truck but i don't know yet.. let me know ya'lls thoughts.. thanks bobby
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:34 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
Just don't go 302, it's a dog. You'll need a mint in performance parts to mud with it.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:37 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
to clarify, I mean to mud with the same torque and HP numbers