Transfer case quit transferring: Advice needed - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case quit transferring: Advice needed

Old 07-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Transfer case quit transferring: Advice needed

Hey all.
My wife and I took a three day weekend to go out of town with the trailer for some R&R. Completly uneventful trip down there and all around sightseeing. Truck was acting normally and not making any unusual noises at all. We concluded our hike, got in the truck, and proceeded down the hill. I was coasting, in 6th gear, engine turning maybe 1300 rpm. Without a sound, the engine suddenly dropped to idle and started coasting as if in neutral. I pulled over and fiddled with the gear shift, nothing. I cycled the transfer case between 2wd, 4h & 4l. All I could get was 4l. No high range at all. I cycled the lever again, pausing in the neutral position to spin things a bit. Still no high range. "Oh GREAT!" I thought, "I'm stuck on the top of Mt. Rainier 120 miles from home and all I have is low range?" So I stuck it in low range and started down the mountain. I made it less than a mile and then some horrid scratching noises started coming out from underneath and then everything was disconnected, as if the driveline was not even there.
I am positive it is not the clutch. I can hear it engage if I let out the pedal fast, hear the slight but noticable drop in engine RPM as it spins up the transmission. But there is no power transfer after that.
I rolled under the truck and I can see where to separate the two halves. I am writing this plea for help to see if anyone has seen this before and can offer some tips.
Thanks in advance,
Dan.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:21 AM
Elder User

touchofgrey is starting off with a positive reputation.
So, your ok as long as your in 2WD? or is that gone too?
Old 07-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Elder User

See if this give you some ideas.

Mechanical Operation

In the 2WD mode, torque from the transmission is transferred to the front input shaft, which in turn drives the output shaft that drives the rear axle.

The 2WD to 4X4 HIGH shift is accomplished when the 2WD to 4X4 HIGH shift fork moves the lockup collar to engage the drive sprocket to the rear output shaft. The drive sprocket turns the chain which turns the front output shaft driven sprocket on the front output shaft and the front driveshaft.

The 4X4 HIGH to 4X4 LOW shift is accomplished when the 4X4 HIGH to 4X4 LOW shift fork moves the shift collar to engage the planet carrier to the main shaft. Torque for the input shaft is then transmitted through the sun gear, which then turns the planets. The planets, which are now engaged to the output shaft, provide a gear reduction.

Here's a little more:

§ CYCLE the transmission through all gear positions with the transfer case in 2WD and 4X4 HIGH. If there is noise in the neutral position or in some gears but not others, DIAGNOSE the transmission. If there is noise in all transmission gear positions, OPERATE the transfer case in all positions. If the noise is only present in 4X4 HIGH, DISASSEMBLE the transfer case; REFER to «Section 308-07B». CHECK the input gear, intermediate, and front output shaft gear for damage. REPAIR as necessary. If the noise is only present in 4X4 LOW, INSPECT the planet gears and sliding gears for damage. REPAIR as necessary.

Last edited by touchofgrey; 07-18-2005 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:18 AM
Post Fiend

Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Thanks for the info touchofgrey. Reading that makes me think the shift fork is broken. The transmission, as far as I can tell, still works fine. And the way that it failed on the mountain, all indicators say transfer case, not transmission at all. You wouldn't happen to have a diagram of the transfer case you could email me? I'm off to Helminc right now to get the full cd-rom, but I need to get started right away. My 5th wheel is still stuck 100 miles from home and I am paying for the site until I get it out.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Post Fiend

Bump. Anyone else seen this before? Advice? I'm going to start pulling it now and will check back later.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:41 PM
New User

Azu607 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Kwik:

My Father-in-law lost his a couple of weeks ago hauling chicken feed home. He was quite a ways from home so he had a repair shop install a rebuilt. I looked at the All-Data repair site and it looks like quite a job to pull that thing apart. Lots of special tools required. I don't know if you are familiar with All-data but when you are on the road it is a great site for repair procedures. It is about $15.00 a month to subscribe per vehicle. I am not affiliated with them at all, just think they are helpful. http://www.alldatadiy.com/

Cheers, Kelly
Old 07-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Junior User

U_B_LO is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why isn't it the front input shaft to the transfer case? If you were in 2 wd when it happened and have nothing now I don't see how it could just be the shift fork. Keep us posted. I've not seen this before, although with the older chain drive transfer cases,(NP208) they seemed to break the shift fork a lot.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Posting Guru

cgl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've never tore into the one on my 02. But i've taken apart a few BW1356's.

Removing the rear driveline and taking the back half of the case off should reveal your problem, if it is a broken fork. There are a few sliding gears in the there, and a chain that drives the front output shaft. The rear output shaft is inline with the input shaft, and the hi-low fork determines which gear couples the input to output. I know this is for the older style TC, but it might help you out.

Have you tried lifting the rear and spinning the tires/driveline to see if you can hear where the noise is coming from??
Old 07-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by U_B_LO
Why isn't it the front input shaft to the transfer case? If you were in 2 wd when it happened and have nothing now I don't see how it could just be the shift fork. Keep us posted. I've not seen this before, although with the older chain drive transfer cases,(NP208) they seemed to break the shift fork a lot.
I have the transfer case off and on the bench. I can operate the lever and get it to work in one direction, go the other way, something lets go inside and it free wheels until I operate the lever again. Ideas before I pull it apart?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgl
I've never tore into the one on my 02. But i've taken apart a few BW1356's.

Removing the rear driveline and taking the back half of the case off should reveal your problem, if it is a broken fork. There are a few sliding gears in the there, and a chain that drives the front output shaft. The rear output shaft is inline with the input shaft, and the hi-low fork determines which gear couples the input to output. I know this is for the older style TC, but it might help you out.

Have you tried lifting the rear and spinning the tires/driveline to see if you can hear where the noise is coming from??
Thanks for the info. It looks similar in design. Any tips before I tear into it?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Posting Guru

I found this thread while googling (is that even a word?) to find you some info on the NP273. It seems you're not the first to experience this!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=102120

Unfortunately, I'm not real sure what you can do to rig it up in 2-hi to get you home... Or atleast somewhere it won't cost you to stay... I suppose you could always pull into a dealer's lot and stay there while they fix it.. That would be funny! Well, untill you get the $2000 bill of course...

Hope this helps!

on edit.. I see we have the NP271 Manual shift TC's...

Last edited by cgl; 07-18-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Thanks for the info touchofgrey. Reading that makes me think the shift fork is broken. The transmission, as far as I can tell, still works fine. And the way that it failed on the mountain, all indicators say transfer case, not transmission at all. You wouldn't happen to have a diagram of the transfer case you could email me? I'm off to Helminc right now to get the full cd-rom, but I need to get started right away. My 5th wheel is still stuck 100 miles from home and I am paying for the site until I get it out.
Check your "internet" email.....messsage for you waiting.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchofgrey
Could you by chance send me a copy of it as well?? Now I'm curious to see what I've started...
Old 07-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchofgrey
Got your message, I can wait. I ran out and bought the correct sockets to get the flanges off. Oil is drained and am going to start opening it up. If I get to something where I think I need a diagram, I'll stop.
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Got your message, I can wait. I ran out and bought the correct sockets to get the flanges off. Oil is drained and am going to start opening it up. If I get to something where I think I need a diagram, I'll stop.
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Ah...yes......patience is a true virtue Grasshoppa..