Sponsored by: DP Tuner

pics of my ccv mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 08:47 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pics of my ccv mod

ok guys... here's one pic of the ccv mod i did on my mule... all the other pics are in my gallery https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=17018

Old 07-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Hello
Senior User
Good job!
So you used a PCV pipe instead of the stock connector. I see you tied the hose to where the stock center piece used to be.
Any obnoxious odor in the cab running that short a hose?

Old 07-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 820 Likes on 625 Posts
That's a great idea using the pvc instead of the factory plastic piece in the middle. I sawed the periscope off but the bulge is still there. Hmmm, I know my next project! Make it nice and smooth all the way to the turbo.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:19 AM
Hello
Senior User
I would be interested to know if it lowers the EGTs. Those are hot gasses coming out of the engine.
I just made a bid on ebay on one of the powder coated kits. Don't bid on it until I win the bid tomorrow. I'm the only bidder.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:16 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a piece of 4" straight exhaust pipe when I did the mod, rather than PVC. Thought about PVC, but went with the metal instead. I knew I'd have no worries of plastic cracking (PVC can become brittle with age and heat) and letting in a bunch of dirty air to my turbo. The exhaust pipe fit right in place and I re-used the clamps that were on the stock intake tube.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:03 AM
mech2161
Posting Guru
[/img]Notice 4" stainless exhaust piece.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:07 AM
bigdaddyTank
Elder User
Thanks for the pictures Johnny. Nice job! Whats the smell like with it dumping right under the front end?
I have an extra piece of exhaust tubing left over from when I did my 6637 filter, that will work perfect. Now to get some tubing.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:04 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Hello
Good job!
So you used a PCV pipe instead of the stock connector. I see you tied the hose to where the stock center piece used to be.
Any obnoxious odor in the cab running that short a hose?
home cheapo # 039923220349 pvc fitting $1.29 fit perfect, no modification needed.. there is a little lip that goes all around the fitting on the inside that funnels in one direction, i pointed the fitting so that the air coming down the fitting would hit that little flare and get "pushed" slightly toward the center of the tube... a slight compression of the intake air might result from this, but it is so slight i doubt it... i just wanted the airflow to be as smooth as possible.. i did not need to "tie" anything in place... it all just sits where you see it naturally... and no i have NOT had any obnoxious odors in the cab, but, it has been real hot and humid lately so i haven't had the windows down much.. we'll see what happens when i do.. i have been thinking about running the hose down by the exhaust outlet anyway... still thinking about that...

Old 07-14-2005, 05:08 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
That's a great idea using the pvc instead of the factory plastic piece in the middle. I sawed the periscope off but the bulge is still there. Hmmm, I know my next project! Make it nice and smooth all the way to the turbo.
that was my goal too... i went into home depot with a tape measure because different pvc components have different diameters... you can't go by the size that is listed on the pipe... i found that straight coupler fitting that measured just UNDER 4" outside diameter... good thing too because the hose coming from the 46637 wix filter fit fine, but the hose that goes from the pvc to the turbo was a TIGHT fit... not a problem though... i wanted it to be...!

Old 07-14-2005, 05:09 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
I would be interested to know if it lowers the EGTs. Those are hot gasses coming out of the engine.
I just made a bid on ebay on one of the powder coated kits. Don't bid on it until I win the bid tomorrow. I'm the only bidder.
i don't know if this mod will make a measurable diff in egts, but it can't hurt...

Old 07-14-2005, 05:12 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mech2161
[/img]Notice 4" stainless exhaust piece.
this was what i wanted to do... i had seen that exhuast piece in you pic... i think this would be a better way to do it... but... no one around here even had 4" pipe... so... i went with the pvc... it's cheap enough and easy enough to replace that i'm not going to worry about it.. besides.. the piece i put in is much more rugged than the stock piece of plastic that i took out, and that piece has almost 100k on it with no signs of stress or fracture...

Old 07-14-2005, 05:15 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bigdaddyTank
Thanks for the pictures Johnny. Nice job! Whats the smell like with it dumping right under the front end?
I have an extra piece of exhaust tubing left over from when I did my 6637 filter, that will work perfect. Now to get some tubing.
i think i will have to get a piece of tubing to make a stronger splice between the two hoses... i used the garden hose and the electrical tape because that's all i had handy and i knew it would hold up for awhile at least... but i will make a better conection before the snow flies... i DON'T want that splice coming apart while i'm in the middle of plowing... or anything else for that matter..!

Old 07-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Bad Company
Senior User
I made the intake modification and after reading many posts regarding heat, I reinstalled the intake portion of my stock airbox. (95 PSD) It routes air right to the filter. Figured it cant hurt to try it out.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Awww Mannnn, was that you?
Ow gee, sorry bout that!

Old 07-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Johnny, I can't believe I beat you to a mod.
You must'a been outta' town for a few days!
I turned my hose downward and dumped it near the wheel well outside the frame, no fumes, in fact very little smoke coming out. It does have decent pressure blowing out though. I want to use a one-piece instead of the current setup with the hose. (in gallery)

Quick Reply: pics of my ccv mod