Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How Much CCA????

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Ed 4X2X
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Much CCA????

Hi gang, my damed battery light keeps going on and off,,,just tuned it up to race mode on the ole Edge and it is staying on all the time.....what cold cranking amp batterey do i need with my 01 , 7.3 l psd excursion 2 batteries in it.... i cant afford optima's right now what is an affordable good battery that an ole airman can afford... thanks gang Big Ed

Old 07-07-2005, 09:17 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed 4X2X
Hi gang, my damed battery light keeps going on and off,,,just tuned it up to race mode on the ole Edge and it is staying on all the time.....what cold cranking amp batterey do i need with my 01 , 7.3 l psd excursion 2 batteries in it.... i cant afford optima's right now what is an affordable good battery that an ole airman can afford... thanks gang Big Ed
800CCA is stock i think, i sell interstates which would be a group 65 and it is 1000CCA, you cannot but a cheap battery for this truck. well i mean do not.
anyways sounds to me like the alternator is the issue.
so rev her up to 2K rpm and put a meter on the battery, should be 13.5 -14.2VDC. if under that you have a charging issue. fix immediatly as she will stop runnig under like 9-10VDC

Old 07-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Ed 4X2X
Junior User
Thanks , will take it to autozone tomorrow to get it checked... hope its the batteries put a new alternator on 8 months ago.......

Old 07-07-2005, 09:30 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

Thanks , will take it to autozone tomorrow to get it checked... hope its the batteries put a new alternator on 8 months ago.......
so then it will be warranteed and it will take you just as long to swap to 40lb batteris as it will a free alt!!

Old 07-07-2005, 09:33 PM
kwazyca
Senior User
If you have a bad battery, then replace both. It is not a good idea to mix an old and new battery.

Tom

Old 07-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Ed 4X2X
Junior User
hey gang ,, took it to a friends house whom had a fluke... tested both batts and got a constent 12.5 volts .. idle or at 2K rpms .... checked the connections on the alternator and pushed on the plug connection and then wiggeled the bolt on wire to see if it was loose and it snapped off.....but the batterey light went out........not sure what it does but will get it looked at tomorrow.....

Old 07-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
hey gang ,, took it to a friends house whom had a fluke... tested both batts and got a constent 12.5 volts .. idle or at 2K rpms .... checked the connections on the alternator and pushed on the plug connection and then wiggeled the bolt on wire to see if it was loose and it snapped off.....but the batterey light went out........not sure what it does but will get it looked at tomorrow.....
You found your problem. 12.5 is a full volt under the barest minimum that you want at the battery terminals. 14 is best.
Get that wiring problem fixed and all your troubles will cease.

Old 07-08-2005, 06:59 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

you still may have an alt issue. mine went last week. i drove it 300 miles. the stock gauge showed a little under the N in normal. so i got out the fluke. read 13VDC @ 2K rpm. but that is not a loaded test. drove it till she started slowly then i noticed that the tach was bouncing. wanted to be sure so i shut her off and tried to start again. NOTHING BUT ONE SAD SOLENOID CLICKING. you should have it load tested. sounds to me like the alt is on it's way out.
most shops will load test for free on a good tester.
we have a snap on, it sort-of predicts the future.
since it is new then bring it back to the store they are all warranteed for @ least 1 yr.
let us know.