Oil Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:54 AM
fairlaniac
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil Pan Gasket

Has anyone ever used the Corteco 1 piece molded rubber oil pan gasket on their 5.0 (302)? I have a small oil leak at the rear of my oil pan. Probably where the half circle rubber pieces and the cork rail gaskets meet? I'm thinking this Corteco gasket might eliminate the potential leak in that area if you don't get the RTV just right? It's in PAW's new All Ford performance parts catalog on page 69.

Thanks,
Doug

Old 07-07-2005, 09:16 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
the blue one piece felpro is all you need.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:10 AM
fairlaniac
Tuned
Got a part number for the FelPro gasket?

Got a part number for the FelPro gasket?

Old 07-07-2005, 02:28 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
nope. go to advance auto .com and look it up.

and i think that it is a pain in the A** that they moved this post and i read and wonder just how they make the call to move.

another post about fixing oil leak which concerns oil pan gasket was left alone.

what do they use, the stair method, you throw all the posts up the stairs and whatever posts lands on first three stairs get moved.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:10 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can use the search with your user name to find a thread that has moved. It's impossible for me to notify every person who's replied to a thread that it has moved. You can find it in 5 seconds with the search. You can also subscribe to a thread and follow along with it. We have a lot of features on this site, they are here for your benefit.

Every time I come to FTE...I use the search w/ my user name to pull up any threads I have posted to. It'll show me each thread, newest first. I'll click on each one and see what's been posted since I have been here last.

We move threads to keep things organized. This topic is about an oil pan gasket, it has nothing to do with the fact that it's a 87-96 truck. It only deals with the motor, which is why it belongs here.

I did not see the other thread on the oil leak....which is probably why it was not moved. I cannot see every thread that goes through the forum, so some will get by w/o being moved. It's inevitable and part of using a forum.

Always read the "Read First!" threads at the tops of forums. It'll give you important information about FTE.

This is one of the threads stuck at the top of the 87-96 forum....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=148601

Last edited by MustangGT221; 07-07-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:52 PM
fairlaniac
Tuned
Logic?

The only problem that I have is that day in and day out 87-96 truck owners are looking here fisrt if not only. They may not have the interest or time to look on other forums as there are many. I don't want someone answering a question about changing an oil pan gasket on a '68 F100 when I'm asking about a '95 F150. There get to be too many opinions and not enough facts. if I'm asking about a oil pan gasket for a '85 F150 then this should be the forum. I run 4 Ford related forums of my own so I know the ins and outs of forums. I am not just a moderator, I am an owner

This has been a real disappointing day to me on the forum as I have paid the $45+ to join for three years and it's the first time in over 100 posts that my posts are pushed all around. Maybe there are too many forums here? Did I make a mistake by being a paying supporter? I'm going to have to go to the top and voice my opinions and contact the owners and maybe get my money back. It seems when I was not a paying supporter, I got better service!

Doug

Old 07-07-2005, 04:57 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
It has been recommended to me to get a one piece gasket from the dealer. That way it is the latest design revision. Of course, the felpro should work alright too.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:08 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fairlaniac
The only problem that I have is that day in and day out 87-96 truck owners are looking here fisrt if not only. They may not have the interest or time to look on other forums as there are many. I don't want someone answering a question about changing an oil pan gasket on a '68 F100 when I'm asking about a '95 F150. There get to be too many opinions and not enough facts. if I'm asking about a oil pan gasket for a '85 F150 then this should be the forum.
I don't understand your fustration. I am not clear as to what your problem is. Can you clarify what you're trying to say here? I tried to explain everything to you privately, but what you've said here doesn't make sense to me.

Why is it that you say if you were asking about an 85 that it would belong here, but the 95 doesn't?? We have an 80-86 forum for an 85 just like we have the 87-96 forum for a 95.

The 87-96 or 80-86 forums (or any of the other year specific forums) are not ment to be a free-for-all. The 87-96 forum is not ment for asking ANY question about an 87-96. It's ment for asking questions that the other forums don't cover. The 302/351 forum covers all engine related topics...the transmission/axle/differential forum is ment for asking specific questions about those parts of the vehicle. A user is to ask a transmission question in the transmission forum, not the 87-96.

Our site is extremely large. This site is in the top 30 largest sites in the world. We have many many forums for different subjects. This forum is for discussing 302/351 related subjects. The people who know these engines best...hang out here. There is no where better to answer this oil pan gasket question than in this forum. It's not obvious, but I am helping you get a better response by putting your question here. The year is not a factor. Your 302 is practically the same as a 60s or 70s 302. A 302 is a 302.

I'm trying to help you the best way that I can. I'm trying to help you understand this. Work with me and I'll help straighten things out. Read your PM and respond privately if you are still unclear. I don't want to hi-jack your oil pan gasket topic.

I have been a moderator for many years. I have been doing this same thing for many years. Nothing has changed in how we manage our forums. Here is a copy of what one of our administrators wrote in a past thread.

There are all sorts of reasons that posts get moved. Rules are just one of them.

I move a lot of posts out of 73-9 that are general questions that can be handled in other forums. This is done to "spread the load" to the other forums and also to keep model specific posts at the top of the page longer to give those questions more "face" time. It also makes it easier on the experts, with specific areas of expertise, to help users since the questions get "pre-sorted" for them into the forums they are expert in. That way they can go to their "expert" forum first, -then go and pick thru the other forums. This is the reason the forums are split the way they are instead of having everything in one big forum.

I don't get to move all of the questions to their proper forum tho. Many questions have already been posted to several times b4 I get to them so they stay in 73-9 and the experts have to search for them

The biggest generic questions areas that should be moved from 73-9 (and other similar forums) are:
-Engine specific questions
-Generic electrical
-Carb and fuel systems
-Axle diff and tranny etc
-Exhaust
-Tires and wheels
-Generic suspension
-etc.

If you notice we have specific forums for these areas, please use them
If you are an expert in any of these areas PLEASE visit them

There are questions that are just plain unique to specific models that should get attention in the model specific forums. Sometimes these questions are so unique that it is a rare user that knows how to answer them with specific knowledge. If the questions drop off the first page quickly they may never get any face time with that expert. Numerous "my truck won't start" questions just drive them off the first page to quickly. Some of the other forums do not have that problem, and the mod just has to visit every other day or so. With 73-9, because of the trafic level, I have to visit every couple of hours...

Then there are the forums like GC and G&W that get truck tech questions dropped in them constantly. New truck buyer gets all kinds of truck tech also as well as used truck questions. I don't move many out of there and I am not sure why others are moved but Dennis has more experience there than I do.

I hope this helps explain why some posts get moved.

Last edited by MustangGT221; 07-07-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Justin is correct in moving the post. You asked about a oil pan gasket for your 5.0 L engine. If you had asked about removing a dash from your 1995 truck then it would have gone in the 87-96 forum because it only pertains to those year of trucks.

If you change an oil pan gasket on a 1985 or a 1995 truck with a 5.0 L the steps are going to be pretty much the same. The people that come to the 5.0 L forum are people that are either looking for info or are looking to help people. They will be able to help you with your situation weather you have a 1995 or a 1981 because the engines are basically the same.

Some posts don't get moved because they get overlooked or maybe someone puts an engine specific question but maybe it ONLY pertains to the 87-96 forum (example: why won't my 5.0 L engine mate to the new C6 transmission I just got, it used to have an AOD). That question has to do with the engine and transmission in those years so it might be better in the 87-96 forum.

FTE is HUGE! If people post engine specific questions in the F-Series forums it makes it so that other posts get "bumped" to the next page (that people sometimes don't look at). Posts put in the engine specific forums also (usually) have a better chance of staying on the first page longer (more views, more replies!)

If you post a thread in a forum and no one responds you could probably contact a moderator of that forum and explain that no one is helping you. Then you can recommend to them to move it to the year specific forum (along with a note saying so).

I hope this helps you out. And don't be made because you became a supporter. It has it's perks (free t-shirt, access to the ClubFTE member's only section, faster server and no ads).

Enjoy FTE!

-Matt

P.S. And no, we are not trying to gang up on you. We would just like users to see it from our point of view. Now, on with your questions about your engine.

Last edited by Beast12; 07-07-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:01 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay Doug, since you're over here now, let's try to get one of your original questions answered.

The Fel-Pro one-piece blue silicone gasket is part number OS 34508R. I bought one at Kragens a few months back, I paid about 28 bucks for it. I came across this tech article that might have some useful info as well. Hope this helps, -TD

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...e_Plenum_.html

Old 07-08-2005, 07:04 AM
fairlaniac
Tuned
Oil pan question does belong here...

... after re-reading my post, I agree. The post on my '95 running poorly to me falls in a gray area, the area between two possible forums. I'll try to understand your moderating ways. I am sure they make sense but then again you have been educated into the way you moderate. You have dealt with thousands of posts and have developed a pattern as to where things belong. someone like me that only posts occasionally should not be expected to know where to post as you folks do. I still like to go to my few favorite forums directly and am not used to or like the idea of going to many other forums or guessing where you may have stuck it. I have read your "Read this first" and other "sticky posts" in the past. They were very vague to me and believe it or not, I still thought I was posting correctly? Opinions, that is what this whole discussion is based on. Your and mine. We'll get over it. This is a top notch forum, just don't over-moderate it.

I apologize for the confusion that frustrated me. With the moving of my posts and the various conversations that I heard about the forum at Fords at Carlisle. I thought I was going to be one of those other fellas that thought he was getting jacked around by the moderators. I was jumping conclusions based upon some oveheard chatter. Sorry!

Old 07-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
No harm done. We hope you enjoy your stay here. And thank-YOU for supporting this site!

-Matt

Old 07-08-2005, 10:46 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
The post about the rough running I saw yesterday and I feel that is perfectly fine for the 87-96. The reason, because it doesn't have another forum which would apply. The engine forum covers the engine parts, your situation has to do with how the engine is running and other parts of the vehicle like the fuel system. It's a mixed bag question that best fits in the 87-96. You'll start to see the pattern. I have made some updates to the "read first" thread because of this conversation. Hopefully it'll help people more. If you have suggestions please let me know. We have a lot of trouble with this because it is so difficult for users to know whats what. We understand and you're correct, I've been through it thousands of times and I know the pattern of what belongs and what doesn't. This is why I expect to be moving threads and guideing users as they go. A lot of our experienced users help us mods out too.

May I make a suggestion? Explore the different forums we have if you havn't already. Spend some time in them because you may find discussions you're interested in that you may of otherwise missed.

About the gasket. My 393 (351 stroked) has the 1 piece Ford gasket. I picked it up at the dealer, they had it in stock. Previous to that, I was using the older type you find at summit or jegs. I don't know what material they were, but all of the gaskets on my engine got silicone, except the pan gasket and intake gasket. The pan gasket I have now is rubber with a soft metal inside that crushes to seal. I used silicone in specific areas, such as the corners where it goes to the hump for the crank, and the edges of the timing cover. No leaks after 1200mi.

I also have that little bar that goes between the bolts of the oil pan. It spreads the load of the bolts across the pan seal and helps. Also, be careful when tightening those bolts, they're easy to break.

Last edited by MustangGT221; 07-08-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Janet40
Elder User
5.0 for reference

I bought a body beautiful town car 1989 with a 302, i was able to drop the pan about 2 inches and remove the dust cover, and use the one piece rubber gasket with the metal bolt holes, i really don't think it will be a problem, with my small hands i can clean the mating services and apply my RTV as well, let it set awhile and bolt it up....Janet

Sorry, i misunderstood you were aquiring the 68 302, instead of the 95 302. The 95 oil sump also jas a front drain hole oil sump

Last edited by Janet40; 07-09-2005 at 06:45 AM.