Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Before Coolers Transmission Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 05:52 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before Coolers Transmission Filter

I am wanting to put in a transmission filter inline BEFORE the fluid gets to the coolers. This way if the converter comes apart, the metal is caught before it clogs the oil to air and air to air coolers. All the setups I've seen are post coolers on the return lines. Has anyone done this and what do you think about this idea. I'm a little concerned about making back pressure on the line but don't see how it would make any more than post cooler. Any thoughts and /or suggestion would be appreciated.
Joe

Old 07-04-2005, 06:04 PM
99bajakid
Senior User
it shouldnt make a difference, thats how my ranger is setup. I have a transmission filter, then the cooler for the same reasons and you mentioned before.. infact IIRC the instructions on the remote transmission filter calls for that setup.

Old 07-04-2005, 06:40 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by JOE-M
I am wanting to put in a transmission filter inline BEFORE the fluid gets to the coolers. This way if the converter comes apart, the metal is caught before it clogs the oil to air and air to air coolers. All the setups I've seen are post coolers on the return lines. Has anyone done this and what do you think about this idea. I'm a little concerned about making back pressure on the line but don't see how it would make any more than post cooler. Any thoughts and /or suggestion would be appreciated.
Joe
just got a max cool and a baldwin filter set up for my 96psd. it is sadi to install the filter on the return line just before it enters back to trans. in the instructions, not sure if it makes a difference as to you wanting to put in on the exit line or not. must be a reason though.

Old 07-04-2005, 06:53 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
Every aftermarket filter I have found says to install it in the return line. Doesn't make any sense to me because Ford says on transmission replace to throw away aftermarket coolers and install inline filter to catch left over trash. I'm trying to figure out the before the cooler install and save the coolers to begin with. Return line install may be because it is easier???
Joe

Old 07-04-2005, 09:24 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

Every aftermarket filter I have found says to install it in the return line. Doesn't make any sense to me because Ford says on transmission replace to throw away aftermarket coolers and install inline filter to catch left over trash. I'm trying to figure out the before the cooler install and save the coolers to begin with. Return line install may be because it is easier???
Joe
not 100% sure, but i installed it the way max cool said too. and the way that baldwin said to. all from dieselsite . it all works and saw 30* drop on an emplty load same trip.
your idea may be trying to reinvent the wheel a bit. because you are assuming that trash from trans or TC will be caught as soon as it enters the filter the 1st time. trans will last 2-300K w/ out this option.
the system will allow some small trash to circulate anyways, there has to be a good reson to put it on the return line.

it would not really be easier on discharge line, because you will need to tap into both for the cooler install.

Old 07-05-2005, 06:12 AM
JOE-M
Elder User
Originally Posted by 18vtx00
not 100% sure, but i installed it the way max cool said too. and the way that baldwin said to. all from dieselsite . it all works and saw 30* drop on an emplty load same trip.
your idea may be trying to reinvent the wheel a bit. because you are assuming that trash from trans or TC will be caught as soon as it enters the filter the 1st time. trans will last 2-300K w/ out this option.
the system will allow some small trash to circulate anyways, there has to be a good reson to put it on the return line.

it would not really be easier on discharge line, because you will need to tap into both for the cooler install.
Yes, I am assuming that all the trash and metal will be caught the first trip through the filters. The same as putting a Magnefine filter in the return line (which is what you have to do if you get a new transmission to keep the trash that is hung up in the coolers from cutting up your new one).

I thought about trying to use the filter from Dieselsite, but it has a bypass if the filter stops up. Which means (I would think) if your transmission comes apart, the filter stops up with metal, The rest of the metal flows straight to the coolers and hangs up and /or goes to the transmission defeating the purpose.

I'm guessing they all install them on the return line because the pressures are lower and the lines are rubber making for an easier install. I guess my main questions are: do ya'll think it would cause too much of a pressure restriction in front of the coolers, and do ya'll think it would work at all to save replacing the coolers??
Joe

Old 07-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Dieselsite also sells a gauge to install at the top of the filter, it's an option you might want. It will let you know when it's getting clogged, keeps you from guessing or just plain not knowing. They have the flush valve too.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Magnafine's instructions say to only install the filter ahead of the cooler on new vehichles (if memory serves with less than 500 miles) and downstream of the cooler on anything older.

Ford includes an unlabled Magnafine with thier dealer installed factory rebuilt transmissions and places them in the return line to catch anything that may remain in the cooler.

Gene

Old 07-05-2005, 08:54 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Yes, I am assuming that all the trash and metal will be caught the first trip through the filters. The same as putting a Magnefine filter in the return line (which is what you have to do if you get a new transmission to keep the trash that is hung up in the coolers from cutting up your new one).

I thought about trying to use the filter from Dieselsite, but it has a bypass if the filter stops up. Which means (I would think) if your transmission comes apart, the filter stops up with metal, The rest of the metal flows straight to the coolers and hangs up and /or goes to the transmission defeating the purpose.

I'm guessing they all install them on the return line because the pressures are lower and the lines are rubber making for an easier install. I guess my main questions are: do ya'll think it would cause too much of a pressure restriction in front of the coolers, and do ya'll think it would work at all to save replacing the coolers??
Joe
defeating its purpose??? so if you do have soo much trash... you already have a bad trans. also don't you think if the filter does not bypass then it will run w/ out and oil @ all???
i believe that most engine oil filters have a spring loaded bypass too.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:30 AM
celjel
Senior User
I have mine in front of the coolers, have had it that way for about a year now. When my TC started going south it was easy to tell as the screw on filter was sure getting heavier every time i changed it out, which I do with every engine oil change also. I believe that it saved my coolers in that instance. I have since had a complete rebuild done on the tranny with all the upgrades, and triple plate billet convertor, and now when i change the filter out it feels liek a new one. If you have a tranny temp gauge, you would also be able to see if it was starting to plug as the temps would start getting higher. I bought my filter setup from Camping world and it didn't specify where to put it so I just unstalled it in front of the coolers.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:40 AM
JOE-M
Elder User
Where did you cut it into the lines? Did you replace the lines with shorter ones and put it in the middle or does it just go up at the radiator using the factory lines? When you replaced the transmission, Did you have to Replace any of the coolers or were they all saved by the pre-filter?
Joe

Old 07-06-2005, 04:53 AM
celjel
Senior User
I used the factory rubber lines right off the steel lines up by the radiator and mounted the filter housing on the frame rail where it is easy to get at. I then bought new line at Napa and ran it to the B&M cooler and then the OEM cooler and back to the return line. When I had the tranny rebuilt I asked about replacing the coolers and was told that having the filter there I shouldn't have anything to worry about. That was right around 10,000 miles ago and it still runs at 180* max pulling my 15k 5th wheel. I feel that the 3 or 4 bucks that a FL1A cost to replace it every 3,000 miles when I do my oil change on the engine is worth the piece of mind if nothing else, and like I said before it was easy to tell that something was going south just by changing that filter, so I had it rebuilt before any real significant damage resulted.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:18 AM
JOE-M
Elder User
Thank you for your help. I knew some one besides me thought this was a good idea. One last thing (maybe), can you point me in the right direction where to find it at camping world. I did a product search and haven't found it yet. Once again, thanks.
Joe

Old 07-06-2005, 08:04 PM
JOE-M
Elder User
I found one. Summit Racing and JCWhitney both sell the kits to do this. The instructions on both units (I think they are both the same) are for pre-cooler installs. When I add a big magnet to the bottom of the filter I should be able to keep my coolers from trashing up if the transmission fails. Thanks everyone for your help.
Joe

Old 07-06-2005, 08:08 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

I found one. Summit Racing and JCWhitney both sell the kits to do this. The instructions on both units (I think they are both the same) are for pre-cooler installs. When I add a big magnet to the bottom of the filter I should be able to keep my coolers from trashing up if the transmission fails. Thanks everyone for your help.
Joe
so you want to spend $100+ to save a $60-80 cooler??
there should not be any trash in the system to begin w/.

why not put a filter before and after the coolers??

when a trans is rebuilt, you are supposed to flush the coolers and lines w/ a special aerosol can w/ flush in it.