Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ordered the banks intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 12:24 AM
gotama
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ordered the banks intercooler

did not want to...i tried to get someone from hypermax to talk to but they repeatedly ignored my emails and i dont want a used one...the ats i/c has to much restriction...want this install to go problem free and quikly...looking forward to it arriving....i paid 1550 delivered to my door...anybody want to make a comment on this install?..gonna get a tranny cooler too when the truck is torn down

Old 06-14-2005, 06:34 AM
fourstroke
Junior User
I have one in my truck, install was straight forward by the instructions. You will have to enlarge two existing holes in the radiator support where the tubes pass through. Outside of that, be prepared to disassemble everything forward of the radiator support. Piece of cake.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:43 PM
sean23johnson
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what kind of power gains can you expect from a mod like this? is it really worth the money? thanks.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:00 PM
gotama
Senior User
since i got the scmt and a pyrometer i thought it would be wise to cool those etg's and mb get a little more power?...definitly getting longer engine life was a factor more than anything...im not ever gonna get another truck cause this one is a keeper cause ive never had a major problem yet...knock on wood!...i dont think there is another diesel available that can compare either..my feelings anyway

Old 06-14-2005, 05:10 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
A intercooler does not increase power. It does however help cool egt's which intern can help engine life. The main advantage is that with lower egt's you can get bigger injectors and dump more fuel to the motor to increase power. It allows....not gives... more power.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:42 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
IMHO you shoulda went with a stock 7.3 sd ic or a stock 6.0 ic, Banks is waaaay over priced. I have about 850 bucks in mine which includes buying a new 6.0 ic from ford and all the plumbing required to hook everything up. It is very hard to get my egt's into redzone while towing even with my current setup.

Hp gains from non ic going to ic is a highly debated topic from time to time. I personally beleive that you can see some gains due to the intake air being cooler. Im not sure how much if any bc i have no dyno numbers to back this up, after all you certainly arent gonna loose power doing an ic. I would highly recommmend adding a smaller turbine housing on your turbo if you already havent. Adding an ic is gonna create alot of turbo lag.

luke

Old 06-18-2005, 11:00 PM
gotama
Senior User
im not in a position to be chasing around odd ends and bits..i want this to be as painless and a fast install...i did all the dd nessasary for what i feel is a good thing all round...and ur rite banks is over priced and ive had problems w/them in the past...they are trying to win me back w/free ship and discounted the I/C price...i know im gonna be happy!...oh and btw does it matter which end of the tranny lines go on the tranny cooler thats also going in?..

Old 06-25-2005, 01:21 PM
gotama
Senior User
well its in...just a couple unknowns like the extra metal under the battry tray pass side that had to be grinded down after the i/c was installed..banks never gave me another o ring for the new compresser tube..must be worth about 2 cents...and the drawing was wrong in a couple places ..a full days work and im rockin!...
now to enter the power gain debate..i noticed the second i hit the throttle the extra power!...no turbo lag either!..i know go figure cause i had a lot of turbo lag b4 the I/C!..i can hit the throttle like a gas engine and get instant responce..surprized the heck out of me and my buddy...
so going away this week fishing ...will see what kind of temps i get and mileage

Old 06-26-2005, 12:59 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
wow you should have increased the time for the turbo to spool. i know that when i take my chip out, even with the larger injectors that i still have considerable lag.

luke

Old 06-26-2005, 09:13 PM
RocknXJ
Senior User
Originally Posted by gotama
now to enter the power gain debate..i noticed the second i hit the throttle the extra power!...no turbo lag either!..i know go figure cause i had a lot of turbo lag b4 the I/C!..i can hit the throttle like a gas engine and get instant responce..surprized the heck out of me and my buddy...
so going away this week fishing ...will see what kind of temps i get and mileage
Could it just be that the denser air can burn more of the fuel right away, without having to wait for the turbo to spool to get more air?

Old 06-27-2005, 10:13 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
i dont think so. Although with my ic that is larger than most i do run much lower boost #'s and slightly higher hp #'s than guys with a similar injector/chip setup. I have larger injectors with larger nozzles and have considerable lag with no chip. i have a hard time believing/ understanding how a stock injectord/ turbod truck has no lag.

Old 07-02-2005, 08:41 PM
gotama
Senior User
well for me it must be a fluke cause like i said b4 i had way more t/lag w/the stinger plus ...used to sputter, cough even and now its ALMOST instant..if i were to hit the throttle in gear all the way certainly w/the amount of weight (2500 lbs) it would hesitate slightly like any vehicle would...if i lockup the toruqe converter and rev it up a 500r's or so its instant....and btw w/ the I/C it most definatley has way more power than b4 ...those who say it would not is complete BS!..my milage stayed the same as before the 2000 mile jorney i just went on ...the etg's were also way down..could not get out of the green zone...b4 when i used to hit this one hill i would struggle peddle down all the way up it and have to back off the throttle @925 degrees..now its effortless and dont have to hold the pedal down...and i had 1000 more pounds than before...temps @800 degrees max

Old 07-02-2005, 09:30 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ltfox
A intercooler does not increase power.
Sorry, have to chime in here....
An Intercooler DOES increase power.
The ability of an engine to create power is based on many things, but fundamentally:
Compression - this can be created by a high compression ratio, or by using a turbo or supercharger to fill the cylinder with more air than at standard atmospheric pressure.

Temperature change - the difference between the intake and exhaust air temperature, I have forgotten the formula (runs for Thermodynamics text book)
Here it is:
The efficiency of an engine is based on

1 - (Intake air temp in Kelvin)
(Combustion temp in Kelvin)

Cooling the air also makes the air more dense as well, and therefore allows more air into the cylinder, effectively creating more boost.

Intercoolers have thier downsides as well:

They create more turbolag, the compressed air has to travel further before it gets to the cylinder.
Creates some drag on the intake side, and can effectively reduce the boost by up to 1 or 2psi, depending on the design of the intercooler.

However as a whole they are beneficial on most applications.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:24 AM
ltfox
Posting Guru
While I agree with you completely. The little increase the denser air makes is washed when you figure turbo lag and lower boost numbers from what I have experienced. I'm not knockin a innercooler. It can prolong engine life by lowering egt's. But in the real world, more fuel= more power. And the innercooler allows you to keep you exhaust temps in check while adding more fuel.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:10 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
In some situations it doesn't change much, but it can depend on the conditions around you.
If you live in hot weather (as I do here in Australia), an intercooler can make significant difference to the power.
If you live in Alaska its not going to do much, if anything.