1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2000 LLS Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Quick_Rod
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 LLS Problem?

I believe I have a problem with my LLS suspension.

Today while out driving I heard a noise under my feet (driver's). It sounded as if a pop off valve had blown, with a slow escape of air for about 15 seconds.

I continued on slowly at first, listening for anything, to try to determine what had just happened. My Expy ran just fine, a/c worked normal (freezing interior), no over heating and normal oil pressure.

I stopped over at my sister's for about 5 hours then returned home. The ride home was as if my Expy was running on a solid axle, very rough, even on a newly paved road.

I now figured that I had blown something on the LLS but what would be located under the driver's feet? An air line, or is the left front suspension air bag located close enough to sound as if it would be located in this area?

As you can see by this thread, it is just after 11:00 pm and I do not feel like crawling under that thing tonight, so I thought that I would go "fishing" and see if anyone knows what this might be, maybe to give me some sort of heads-up to look for in the morning.

BTW, my check suspension light has come on.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:03 PM
01silvergt
Senior User
Did you loose ride height?

<FONT size=2><FONT size=2>Not sure what is "under" the driver’s feet, but on the drivers side under the hood is a connector that is a common failure point on the LLS. Look just in front of the master cylinder, there is a "black box" (do not remember what it is right now, and too lazy to go look), but under that is an air line that goes to the bottom and rear of the truck. On that line near the "box" is a connector. This connector commonly breaks. Problem is the only place to get this connector is from Ford, and they run around $20 here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><st1:City><FONT color=black>Houston</FONT></st1:City></FONT><FONT color=black><FONT size=2>. If this is your problem, you will see that the new connector has a much better and beefier design</FONT>.</FONT></FONT> </P><P style=[/img]

If its not you problem all I can suggest is that you get under the truck and start tracing the air lines forward till you find a problem. It is easier to start in the rear and work your way forward.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:08 PM
01silvergt
Senior User
also ment to ask... Is this 4WD or 2WD?

Old 06-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Quick_Rod
Junior User
Thanks for the info 01, she's a 4WD.

The sound of this thing blowing kind have had me worried, wasn't sure what had happened.

Question, is there some sort of circuit that trips when the system "senses" a malfunction in the LLS, and if so do I need to re-set it after the problem is corrected? Reason I'm asking this is the air pump never did engage after the air lose.

$20.00 sounds like a bargin if this is my problem.

Yes, I have lost ride height. Parked next to my 93 Explorer right now, the Explorer sits slightly higher since my Expy "blew it's wad". The Expy looks as if someone has turned her into a low rider.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not looking at some major expense in fixing this thing.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:43 PM
01silvergt
Senior User
Is the lose of ride height in the front or rear? If it is problems with the front then I will be of no help, but still check for that fitting. I did not say this before, but this connector is in-line and connects two aire lines together.

Old 06-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Quick_Rod
Junior User
I didn't turn on the shop lights in the garage when we returned home but it looked to be much lower in the rear, almost like it was sitting on the frame.

Are there any special tools needed to remove this fitting?

Old 06-12-2005, 12:31 AM
01silvergt
Senior User
If its lower in the rear then I would really look for this connector. You really should not need any tools. On mine I was able to remove the line on one side by pulling it (they are just compression fittings), but on the other, where it snaped, I had to use needle nose pliers to pry up on the brass to "unlock" and remove it. The hose on each side of the connector has a hard plastic insert. This insert is what goes into the connector on each end.

Once the connector is off clean debris off the hose and press the new fitting on. Its really simple, it will probably take you longer to find it than to fix it.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:58 AM
01silvergt
Senior User
well, did you find anything?

Old 06-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Quick_Rod
Junior User
Yea, I just came in from the garage and was hoping that you would be on here.

Question, is this line a dual system through-out? The exterior is black but where this fitting is located there is a white inner line which is similar to the old air-shock lines. Does this go all the way through the black line or do I need to pull it out as well?

Last edited by Quick_Rod; 06-12-2005 at 11:53 AM. Reason: wording
Old 06-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Quick_Rod
Junior User
Well after re-reading your threads I see that this white line should stay.

Another question, I don't know about in your area but there isn't any Fords dealers opened on Sundays around here, can this thing be "patched-up" to work until I can get to the parts department tomorrow? Like maybe wrapping this thing in some peices of rubber and clamped on with a couple of hose clamps or would this damage the connector line?

Last edited by Quick_Rod; 06-12-2005 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2005, 12:37 PM
01silvergt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Quick_Rod
Well after re-reading your threads I see that this white line should stay.

Another question, I don't know about in your area but there isn't any Fords dealers opened on Sundays around here, can this thing be "patched-up" to work until I can get to the parts department tomorrow? Like maybe wrapping this thing in some peices of rubber and clamped on with a couple of hose clamps or would this damage the connector line?
Yes we have dealers open on Sundays around here, but not their parts departments. I guess you could try a larger hose with clamps, but I would bet you would have to really clamp it tight to get a seal.

Was that the problem?

Old 06-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Quick_Rod
Junior User
Sorry, yes the connector was the problem. It has hairline crack right on both ends of the casing just enough to expand and blow out one end.

I hate to play this back yard mechanic to a T but the wife needs to use the truck tomorrow and I can not take the day off to get this part for her.

I put the connector wrapped in a rubber hose w/clamps back on but now the air pump doesn't want to run to pump up the suspension. Any idea on what I need to do next?

Old 06-12-2005, 04:27 PM
01silvergt
Senior User
Might need to disconnect the battery to reset the system. Otherwise, not sure why it would not turn on. I had to reset mine, but my LLS light came on.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Quick_Rod
Junior User
Would the LLS light be considered a check suspension light also or is there another one? I had this light come on yesterday when I got home but today I have no light.

I'll try the battery and see if that works. If not, I guess that this $20.00 piece may turn into a $75.00 or better labor charge.

Thank you for pointing me to the problem and putting up with this back yard/shade tree mechanic.

Old 06-12-2005, 05:06 PM
01silvergt
Senior User
Yes I was refering to the Check Susp. light. I believe the system has a built in safety that stops the compressor if it senses a system failure. This is why I say to disconnect the battery to reset the system.

Quick Reply: 2000 LLS Problem?