1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Fair asking price

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 10:07 AM
PCWest13
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair asking price

Well, I have decided to sell my '71 F100 Ranger XLT, but I am having a lot of trouble figuring out a fair asking price for it. I know many of you have looked into these trucks and know a lot about the pricing, so maybe you will be able to help me out.

The truck is a single cab with very little rust in the bed, and thats the only place. It is all factory paint but one door panel. The paint is two-tone yellow and white. The engine is the 390 with 86,000 original miles. There has never been any modifications done to this truck. It is stock right down to the AM radio still in the dash. Everything works but the windshield washer fluid. The truck has no damage to the body, pretty much scratch free. The interior: All black, seats have 3 small tears where the seams have worn out, and one arm rest has a small tear. Other than that all the carpet and headlining is in perfect shape. The dash has some cracks from sun, but nothing major. No speaker cut outs in the doors or anything like that. It runs like a champ, and has never let me down. I did install a new carbeurator in it, and the only other problem I have had is the starter stalling up. Dueler tires, factory hubcaps, everything is clean on it.

I have looked online and it is hard to find one like it. It would make a great work truck, or a great truck to do minor things to and make it a show truck. The online books seem to be priced a little higher than I think people would go for. What are your thoughts on a fair price that I could possibly get for this truck? I am in the dark on pricing. Thanks for your help!

Oh, this isnt a for sale ad... im not trying to get publicity, I am just trying to figure out what price to stick on the window.... Thanks again!

Old 06-07-2005, 11:04 AM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be looking to get a mininum of $5K for it. My 72 was a junker that I've sunk over $2K into with countless hours. I think I'd ask $2500-3000 for mine. I've seen these old trucks on eBay like yours that are all original with little miles on them and in perfect shape. Sellers ask for $10-15K. Not really seing yours I can't give you a good guess but I don't think I'd like to let it go too cheap. Especially if it is in original shape and not restored. Vehicles in great original stock condition are (in my opinion) a better find than one that's been reconditioned. Check eBay and try to find something to compare it to. Sometimes you can find a used car lot where the seller specializes in older vehicles. Nosey around one of these and compare.

Last edited by qman; 06-07-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:16 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow - $10-15k?? I must be living in the wrong place, because you couldn't get anywhere near that for your truck around here. I recently saw an all-original very nice '71 and the asking price was $2,200. I just bought a very clean (but not perfect) '68 F250 for $900.

My best guess is you could get $2-3k for it around here. Maybe a little bit more if it's especially clean.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:30 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd have snagged that 71 in all-original very nice condition for $2200. You know asking prices are always higher than settle prices. But yeah, I remember months back looking on eBay and seeing a number of "original condition" vehicles that had been bid up around $10K and the reserves hadn't been met yet. It shocked me too. I have never priced any trucks around here (CO) but most the trucks I see on the road are daily driving junkers. I have yet to see a real nice one. I don't really have a clue for what the asking price would be around here but if I saw a real nice original clean one at that $2K price tag I'd jump on it.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,374 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by oppy
Wow - $10-15k?? I must be living in the wrong place, because you couldn't get anywhere near that for your truck around here. I recently saw an all-original very nice '71 and the asking price was $2,200. I just bought a very clean (but not perfect) '68 F250 for $900. My best guess is you could get $2-3k for it around here. Maybe a little bit more if it's especially clean.
I would agree. If you start off too high not too many will repond. 6 years ago a 1975 XLT/460/fac air with only 1250 orginal miles on it went for $15,000 but it had only 1250 miles on it, stored inside all it`s life and in very nice condition..

Old 06-08-2005, 08:58 PM
PCWest13
Senior User
Thanks for all the advice so far. I know that it would take a miracle to get in the $10,000 dollar range, but that would be nice. I think I am going to take the digital cam out one day and take some pictures of the truck and try to load them onto here so you all can get a better feel for the truck, because I know it is pretty much impossible to just go on words alone. Also, I saw a lot about ebay in the replies, and that makes me wonder if I should make a reserve price and put it on e bay and see how it does. Does anyone know how much it costs to advertise on e bay? Thanks for all the help so far, it is much more than I had any idea about before...

Old 06-08-2005, 10:12 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
I know you can buy older 2WD Ford trucks in GA for $1200 all day. Shape on a 30 year old truck only makes a difference if you had the title because whoever buys it is going to probably paint it. To me, that would make a $1200 2WD a $3000 truck!

Assuming your truck is a I-6/302 three on the tree (since you did not state what it is) :

For E-Bay I would start at $1 and put a $1200-$1500 reserve AND tell what the reserve is in the auction. I, like many others, do not bid on auctions with unknown reserves.

I started my sawmill at $1 with a $700 reserve, I told people up front what it was, and it has already hit the reserve. If people know what the reserve is, you are more likely to get someone that will place a bid straight out to the reserve if the price is reasonable. Don't hid the bidders ID, I dont even look at those auctions.

Get that starting problem fixed before selling it as it would leave the buyer with a sour taste in their mouth if they get stuck on the way home. The other stuff (trim) is minor and you will not get your money back if you fix it now.

I would not go crazy with a lot of close up pictures in the auction because of the cost of displaying them on E-Bay. What I would do is take a ton of them and offer to e-mail them in .zip files to anyone interested. That is what I do.

Do not give out information where people could figure out where you live and where the truck is located because there are people out there that would like to take an easy to steal truck.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:38 AM
simonzelotes
Junior User
I sold a yellow and white f-100 longbed original Sport Custom on eBay a couple of months ago for 6k..If it's as you described,an original Ranger XLT with the 390 and unmolested and in great shape,I'll give you $2200 any day of the week and buy you dinner...There's beater work trucks..and there's survivors...There's always a market for a clean original anything...The guy who bought my truck fell in love with the factory yellow and white color...something not seen in Massachussets,where he was from...

If you set a $1200 reserve,be prepared to part with the truck for $1200...You're basically telling bidders what you think your truck is worth...I like the low starting bid:it gets the ball rolling...On the other hand,you might want to open the bidding at $1500 and put no "reserve",and let the market tell you what you're truck is worth...I think eBay would definitely be a good venue to sell your truck in...I don't know in what part of the country you're in,but if it's as unrusty as you say it is,it should be gobbled up by a '67-'72 Ford truck lover...

Old 06-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I never even bid on items with a low opening and an unknown reserve price. It is useless to go thru all the trouble of bidding on some item with an unknown reserve. You could mess around all week bidding and never get anywhere near the reserve. If they list a buy it now you can at least figure their reserve is somewhere in the ballpark and bid accordingly.

Either watch your "market" whether it is eBay or the local paper for similar items to get an idea what it is worth. You can also hire a professional appraiser. We really can only produce wild guesses at what a truck is worth here.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:50 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree - unknown reserves are a waste of time. Torque is right, do some investigating and set a reasonable starting price. I'd be really surprised if you got $6k for it, but that would be great if you did.

simon - I'll sell you my '68 any day of the week for $2,200 (no dinner required) and laugh all the way to the bank. I'll take that money and buy 2 other equally good ones.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:22 AM
jdbanks
Elder User
Man, this is the "Ebay Reserve" hating thread. If you want your reserve to be public then just have the opening bid be what you will take for the truck and be done with it. If you choose the reserve option plenty of people bid on them and use the option as well.

The cost for placing an Ebay ad for a vehicle is about $40 depending on what and how many options you choose. You can add more pics and a reserve and other things for small additional charges. And they also charge you an additional fee once you sell the vehicle that I believe is somewhere around $40 as well, but don't quote me on that.

If you wanted to save some money you could list the truck in the "Parts" truck section. But then it will probably not get as many views there from the people who would be looking to buy it, and therefore likely not get as good a price.

The Ebay membership is free but they will want you to confirm your identity either with a certified email address or a credit card. Good luck and hope you get what you're after.

-J.Banks-