Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1992 Ford Clubwagon Problem

Old 05-31-2005, 08:25 PM
gil0723
New User
gil0723 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1992 Ford Clubwagon Problem

I have a 92 Club wagon with a 5.0L V8. About 7 years ago I couldn't get it to start so I parked it in my garage and haven't moved it since. Now I知 over my disappointment and want to get vehicle running again, so the van has become my latest project. The only problem is I知 not much of a mechanic (already, I知 in trouble) and need some expert advice.

1st - I think the gas tank is empty, but just in case it isn't, how do I drain it? I can't seem to get a hose down the filler tube and into the tank (probably a "feature" to defeat the bad guys that want my gasoline). I'll put fresh fuel in the tank, but I want to make sure there isn稚 any old stuff in there.

2nd - I've changed the oil and checked what fluids I can without the engine running, but is there anything else I should do before cranking it over? Is there anything special you need to do when starting an engine that hasn't been turned over in years? Do I need to be worried about gaskets, seals, etc.? (The answer to this question scares me!)

3rd - I just installed a new battery and have power everywhere (radio, locks, windows, lights, horn, even the little pump for the lumbar support). No apparent problems here, however I recall the problem that caused me to park the van. It began as an intermittent problem (only happened about once a month) and then became terminal (happened more often than not). Turning the key caused a single audible 田lick noise from under the hood, but the starter wouldn稚 make any noise and the engine didn稚 turn over. I haven稚 the slightest idea why, but if I turned the key enough times it would eventually start. Unfortunately, it wouldn稚 start at all just a single click and that was it. I知 sure the problem still exists and I'll have to face it when I try to crank the engine (I壇 like #2 answered before I try, though). Any ideas where I should start? Again, the battery is brand new and fully charged.

Thanks for any ideas!!!

Gil<O</O

Old 05-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
#1) You can use the fuel pump to pump the existing fuel out of the tank. Disconnect the lines at the fuel filter and place the end of the line in a gas can. Then just turn on the ignition. The pump will run and empty the tank.

#2) Nothing special. What you have done is fine. Replace the fuel filter while you are emptying the tank. You are there anyway. You will need the tool required to release the fuel filter fittings.

#3) That really sounds like you have a bad starter solenoid. I would install a new starter and solenoid and give it a try.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

Old 05-31-2005, 09:27 PM
IceWagon
Senior User
IceWagon is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would pull all the plugs and squirt just one tiny tiny shot of WD40 into each cylinder, just enough to mist the cylinder walls, and soften any rust. Then I would get a few drops of motor oil on the cylinder walls as well.

I would crank the engine over a few times 30 seconds each to get oil pumped up and circulating, with the plugs out. that way the lifters, valves, cam, and all bearings can get some fresh lube on them before the engine actually fires.

Inspect the plugs, replace if necessary, set the gap and then install the plugs after the lube oil system has been primed.

It would be cheap insurance to replace your coolant. It should be replaced, but wait until after the engine has started and warmed up, before you try to drain it to get any muck out.

Check all vacuum hoses for dry, loose or brittleness. Replace any that don't look and feel good. Same with radiator and heater hoses. Inspect, squeeze and feel. Too hard or soft hoses may not leak today but could fail at any minute.

It sounds like you have a bad solenoid, regarding your starter. If your solenoid is separate from the starter replace it. If the solenoid is part of the starter, take your starter in and exchange it for a rebuilt one.

Also definately replace distributor and rotor cap. At least inspect them, I would bet a cup of coffee you will find corrosion on the rotor tip and inside the cap.

You may need to replace some gaskets, no way to no for sure until you've taken it around the block!

Old 06-01-2005, 07:14 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome gil0723, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
..See you on the boards.