1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner
View Poll Results: Have you done the KWIK 6637 MOD?
Yes
61.61%
No
38.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Have you done the KWIK 6637 mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 04:58 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f-troup
Thiking of doing the 6637 MOD, should be able to get a 45*x4" pvc elbow at Home Depo. That would make it easier to mount the sensor in to monitor the temprature. Has any body done this?
yes you could do that. all though there has been some debate about what the sensor is used for, GP on time, and EBPV, the new trucks us it for the AIC too, mine only has the glow plug all other features have been removed, So I just stuck mine in the fender.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...06574455eGtEWG

here's a pic of my intake, the elbow right after the filter has a real nice, flat, thick spot right on the top that would work, I left it untouched for a propane nozzle to fit into some day.

Diesle Rod

Old 06-10-2005, 07:38 PM
f-troup
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
444dieselrod, looks good thanks.

Old 06-10-2005, 10:32 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
looks like youre a little low on brake fluid there, lol

good looking mod. ill have to take a pic of mine and post.

Old 06-11-2005, 07:03 AM
3 of 7
Senior User
Originally Posted by empiretc
looks like youre a little low on brake fluid there, lol

good looking mod. ill have to take a pic of mine and post.
Funny, that exactly what my brother in law said too!
But it's right at the full line ( I had to suck a bunch out when I did my front brakes last week)

Old 06-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Steve_250
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
most zip tie it to the fender wall, or the brake line. mine is stuffed into one of the holes in the fender.Diesel Rod
One problem with stuffing it in the fender wall is heat. Summer is here, if you have a dark color mule the fender will be HOT and it will read incorrect ambient temps. (JMO)
Get it as close to the flow of air as you can and away from heat.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:55 PM
f-troup
New User
Did the KWIK MOD today, looks good. Had my son-inlaw wanting a rifle I had, so told him to bring cash and come get it. Did the 4" exhaust kit to go with the KWIK MOD, so I'll let you guys know how my vacation went in 2 weeks. you'all have a good one. Thanks kwikkordead for the advice....

Old 06-11-2005, 05:36 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve_250
One problem with stuffing it in the fender wall is heat. Summer is here, if you have a dark color mule the fender will be HOT and it will read incorrect ambient temps. (JMO)
Get it as close to the flow of air as you can and away from heat.
Thats kinda what I was getting at on my last post. The PCM does not use this sensor while driving, only to determine the glow plug on time, and when to activate the EBPV. it is not used to determine fuel rates based on a certain intake temp. on the SD I believe it also affects the high idle feature. that is where the debating part came in, some think it does affect the fuel delivery.

Since I don't have an AIC, I gutted the EBPV, and its summer, I never use the GP, it really isn't important for me, some people it might be, if they have these features

But you are very correct that a dark vehicle, the '97 is black, it will give a false reading. that thing cooks in the summer.

Diesel Rod

Last edited by 444dieselrod; 06-11-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:21 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
i tied my up right next to the filter. have not had any probs

Old 06-13-2005, 03:56 PM
so2315
Senior User
Well,
I did mine the other day and saw an improvement in the MPG. Today I went out and took it back off to drill out the exhaust pipe for my filter minder. I was concerned about it not fitting well due to the curve of the pipe buit it is really snug, no leaks there.
One observation I did make was with the old filter box. If there is any doubt about doing this mod this should open up your eyes!!!!
While holding the complete assembled factory box in my hand to take out the rubber gasket for the filter minder something inside of the air box caught my eye. It was a glimmer of light. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the top of the air filter cover where the tabs fit into the lower halve has a noticicle gap alll along the edge. The cover was in place, and the filter was in the assembly and the tabs were pushed in as far as they would ga and the cover latched!!!
Now, if I can see light, on the turbo side of the filter, then I can assume that dust would also be able to get sucked right in.
In closing, if you were sitting on the fence like me trying to decide whether or not to do this mod, look at your own filter assembly off of the truck. Maybe you too will "see the light"!!!!

Old 06-13-2005, 09:22 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Need more people to vote. I am sure more people are doing this mod everyday.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:30 PM
3 of 7
Senior User
I just ran my first tank through after doing it, 19.54mpg, so there was a definate improvement even though I "got on it" a little more than normal.... The best I ever got before was 18 (after gutting the cat and trash-canning the muffler) and the worst was 16 ... I'll be keeping logs as I mod to see what works and what doesn't.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:01 AM
cangim
Postmaster
In an earlier post someone posted that they where getting white dusting particles from the filter, made me wonder so I had to go and check mine out. Mine is clean as a whistle, I am very satisfied with my filter intake setup.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:23 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
same here cangim. i just plugged the filter right into the stock intake tube and set it where the stock airbox goes. Took about 10 minutes to do. We had it off the other day when they were putting shocks in her for me, and it was clean as a whistle too.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:46 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 802 Likes on 613 Posts
Same here, very clean inside.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:45 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cangim
In an earlier post someone posted that they where getting white dusting particles from the filter, made me wonder so I had to go and check mine out. Mine is clean as a whistle, I am very satisfied with my filter intake setup.
I was that person.

I wish I had taken some pictures. As I stated before, the dust could have been from the manufacturing/boxing/storage of the filter. I simply cannot prove my theroy however.

I'm having a hard time nailing down the reason for my loss of mpg with the filter. It's possible that my recent front end alignment may have corrected that problem.

I still have the filter, but this time I'm going to atleast make sure the IAT sensor is in the intake stream on my superduty. I will try to fabricate some type of heat shield, as the under hood readings for the IAT when it was zip tied to the brake res. were all over the map.

Quick Reply: Have you done the KWIK 6637 mod?