Sponsored by:

temperature sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Streetgang
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b4hntn
So, let me ask, why the tranny temp. guage and where would you put the sender? I have a 94 EB 351W with trailer towing package. Also, which guages will be electrical? BTW, the original owner of my Bronco lived on Long Island a few years. They liked to ski. My spare tire is inside mount to keep if from being stolen they said.
Well good question I had already planed on getting one of these remote trans fluid filters......

and as you can see in the top pic there is a bung hole in between the in and out ports. This is where I will put the electrical sending unit for the tranny temp gauge. The remote filter and bracket mount will be bolted to the right side frame rail where I will have easy access to changing the filter as needed.
You could use one of these if you dont want a remote filter.......

I will also be adding either a Permacool or B&M auto tranny fluid cooler while I am at it......and yes I will be using the stacked plate type.
As for the gauges I prefer a mechanical one over electrical just because there is less room for failure with mechanical. I will go mechanical for my oil pressure (I have already run the stainless steel braided line to the el cheepo SunPro pressure gauge I have in there so it will be a easy swap) and electric for the trans......as for the coolant temp.....well its still up in the air as to weather I will go electrical or mechanical.

Oh and my tire is mounted outside.......if someone has got enough ***** to get that close for that long.......they deserve the tire!

Last edited by Streetgang; 05-24-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:54 PM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

guages

Wow! Thanks Streetgang. I looked at all of your pictures and doubt if you have anything misssing around there. You can always judge the character of a man by the way he treats a dog. Do you have the trailer towing package? You must do some heavy pullin' and I thought things got hot in Texas.....Maybe I need this guage. Could it be that you have cooked a transmission sometime? Does anyone know the fluid temp that damages transmissions? I have the factory towing pkg. and the big radiator was changed recently. I was thinking about putting a guage sender block at one of the connections going into the radiator at the oil cooler. I guess I can determine which is the hot side by feeling.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Streetgang
Elder User
Wow! Thanks Streetgang. I looked at all of your pictures and doubt if you have anything misssing around there. You can always judge the character of a man by the way he treats a dog. Do you have the trailer towing package? You must do some heavy pullin' and I thought things got hot in Texas.....Maybe I need this guage. Could it be that you have cooked a transmission sometime? Does anyone know the fluid temp that damages transmissions? I have the factory towing pkg. and the big radiator was changed recently. I was thinking about putting a guage sender block at one of the connections going into the radiator at the oil cooler. I guess I can determine which is the hot side by feeling.
Well yes I have the towing pac, but I do not have the OEM (engine) oil cooler, or OEM ATF cooler. I have never fried a auto tranny on a "good" vehical.....junkers...yes. The thing is that the trans lines you see going into the radiator are actually to heat the tranny fluid.....not cool it.......but yes this is where you would tap in for the ATF cooler and I am still up in the air about where to mount the remote filter/sending unit.......on the the side going to or going from the trans.....I will have to check the products directions for that.
IIRC....the ATF flows in the top and out the bottom line.....I should have taken note when I changed the rad a few months back.

Last edited by Streetgang; 05-24-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:50 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Hmmmmm..........thank you sir. I think I will start with the simple basics of mechanical oil pressure guage and ? coolant temp guage. Greystreak says "Either location will work for connecting a mechanical gauge as long as you can get the bulb for the mechanical gauge into the hole." Does anyone know if I can do it on my '94 351w?

Old 05-25-2005, 03:42 PM
92EBnTX
Senior User
I bought 2" Sunpro gauges and installed them in an Autometer dual pod today. My view is not much different than it was before. I was trying to post a picture to give y'all a driver's eye peek but couldn't figure it out. Guess y'all will have to take my word for it.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Streetgang
Elder User
Hmmmmm..........thank you sir. I think I will start with the simple basics of mechanical oil pressure guage and ? coolant temp guage. Greystreak says "Either location will work for connecting a mechanical gauge as long as you can get the bulb for the mechanical gauge into the hole." Does anyone know if I can do it on my '94 351w?
I used the switched 12V lead from the light in my ash tray......so yea.......I can even "dim" my gauges!

Old 05-25-2005, 08:23 PM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

There you go again...giving me infomation I will need before I know I will need it. I was thinking about where to hook of guage lights but the ashtray never crossed my mind because we don't smoke and it is never open. Thanks. Do you get all that ESP from ESPN?

Last edited by b4hntn; 05-25-2005 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Streetgang
Elder User
Thanks. Do you get all that ESP from ESPN?
how the hell did you know that??????