General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Hewlett Packard Photo Printers??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:19 PM
yellowjacket9
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hewlett Packard Photo Printers??

Anyone have any of these and are you satisifed? I am wanting to print some good photos , but I don't print alot of photos. Just want some decent quality pics. Unlike the graining lines of my Hp895CSE. Any thoughts? What models??

Old 05-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Unless the wheel felt off the cart....

You can't go wrong with an HP Printer.

Old 05-21-2005, 01:54 AM
Caplax40
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HP Printers as a whole > everything else. Period.

Old 05-21-2005, 02:36 AM
Munkey
Fleet Mechanic
We've got an HP 1315 All-In-One (Scans, copies, prints) and for the price, it's done an excellent job of photo printing.

Up close you can tell that the photo has been printed, but in a frame behind glass, it's virtually identical to a regular photo.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:42 AM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
Personally, I would get a HP printer, but one that will do photo quality images and print regular stuff too. I have a HP5550, and it does an excellent job of printing pictures.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:17 AM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have the photo printer. It works great. No problems, and prints just as good as anything you get back from Wal Mart or the drug stores. You need the good paper though and you will go through some ink if you print alot. If you have a good camera you have to get a printer that will print the same quality as the camera takes pictures. I think it is a 7760. It is at my office so I am not sure of the number.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
The one thing I don't really care for about HP printers is that HP uses 3 color cartridges in there printers, when you run one out you have to change the whole thing. Canon uses individual color cartridges and you can change just the one that is empty. You will run one of the colors out before the other colors are gone. Cost of buying the indiviual cartridges as compared to the HP's is about the same, where you save is the ability to change just the one color till you run the others out.
Canon's quaility like HP will outshine the run of the mill printing from a store. Canon's quaility compared to HP is equal when comparing like prints on generic photo print paper, when you start using brand specific paper(Canon/HP papers) for the specified printers the quaility will improve greatly. Canon offers Standard, Plus, and Pro papers and have specific drivers in their software that is optimized for each. You just pick the picture, paper(size and type), crop (if needed) and print in the EZ PhotoPrint program and have utilities for red-eye removal, etc.
I have a Canon i960, a 6 color printer, which will print a picture that is undistinguishable from a conventional photo. Nothing wrong print wise with an HP, I just think Canon software, features and ez of use along with the ability to use Plus and Pro papers blow HP out of the water.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:48 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 868 Likes on 786 Posts
We have an HP psc 1350 scanner, copier printer. Works great and prices are dropping ( ours went down $30 after buying one). My wife learned how to re-fill the cartridges which does save some money.

Old 05-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Hp ink is not water soluable.
Cost of a colour/black ink pack here in Alberta ($65 cdn)
Canon printers ink is water soluable.

With a canon you have to replace the printer head after 3 cartridges ($$$$$$)
Ink is cheaper but the head is just under a $100.00.
This costs more than a new printer.

With Hp,the printer head is part of the ink case,this guarantee's a great photo everytime (unless the printer sits un-used for months)

Old 05-21-2005, 04:29 PM
nightowl_52
Elder User
The printers are cheap. It's the ink that they kill ya' on. $$$ My suggestion to anyone with a printer, keep the plastic bag it came in or another suitable cover on it when your not using it. If any dust gets in the printer it will smear your prints and it's almost impossible to clean out. I had a couple that loaded the paper from the top and that was a mistake. Now I only use front loaders.

Last edited by nightowl_52; 05-21-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:04 PM
bdjupiter
Elder User
I upgraded from a Lexmark to a HP Photo Printer and it was night and day difference. Get quality photo paper and you can't tell the difference from a print from somewhere else.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
With a canon you have to replace the printer head after 3 cartridges ($$$$$$)
huh? what you talk'n about Willis?
no mention of it any where in my book and if the three times and out rule is in effect I way over due. where did you hear this?

Old 05-22-2005, 12:28 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Unless Canon has changed over the last couple of years, that's what you gotta do.

The ink flows to a seperate Print head.

On HP printers,the print head is included with every cartridge,
This IMO, allows for better quality prints overall.

Did Canon change their minds ?

Old 05-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Caplax40
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
Unless Canon has changed over the last couple of years, that's what you gotta do.

The ink flows to a seperate Print head.

On HP printers,the print head is included with every cartridge,
This IMO, allows for better quality prints overall.

Did Canon change their minds ?
Three and out is the general rule of thumb for replacing a head. Could be more, could be less. The same applies for Brother ink jet printers and a few others from HP. One printer that HP puts out (1100 Business Inkjet Printer) supposedly has heads on it that are good for the life of the printer! Which is pretty astonishing since those types of printers are designed to do tens of thousands of sheets in their lifetime.

HP having non-seperate heads with their cartridges does seem like an expensive pain sometimes, but it's worth it.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:27 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you got the money and need to print tens of thousands of excellent printouts use the Xerox Phaser series. This is a hot wax tranfer printer. The prints come out photo quality and glossy on demand.

The gotcha is that the "crayons are roughly $20-$30 apiece. Our 8600(?) uses 5 crayons for each color, so you have to load up $300 worth of crayons when it is empty, the black ones are free with the kit. The other gotcha is the maintenance kit is about $250 and needs to be replaced every once in awhile.

The company I used to work for had HP Printer division as a customer. One day we went in to give a sales presentattion and handed out beautiful color prints made on the Xerox. Doh, the engineers took a look and right away knew we were using the competition's printer, that was an embarrassing meeting, good thing they were already good customers.

I personally use an Epson CX6400. It is a 3 color plus black printer. Each cartridge is separately replaceable. It appears the printer must have built in heads since the cartridges don't. So far I have put maybe 5 or 6 changes of cartridges thru it and it has been an excellent although somewhat slow printer. In photo mode and 8x10 it takes several minutes to print out. But on good photo paper it is beautiful and as far as I am able to tell, as good as regular film prints at that size. Thank heavens the company pays for the ink. A reload takes about $70 worth of cartridges and depending on what I print they go fast. I think I have had it since about January and like I said went thru maybe 6 sets so far. The Epson ink does not appear to be water proof and if you lay your sweaty arm on a fresh one it will tatoo you.

I also have a Canon BC5000 which uses a cartridge with print head which holds the color and black and white cartridge. The color comes in a single 3 color cartridge, so when one goes you have to replace the whole cartridge. I have to replace the head/cartridge carrier maybe every 2 years with home use, my kids do print a fair amount, that costs around $50. I think the color cartridge is BC21 and costs something like $15 and the small BW is a BCI21 and costs about $7and there is an extra capacity BWBC23 for $39. I am able to refill so not too bad. This printer is about 7 years old so I am sure Canon has improved since then.

Just my experience.

Jim Henderson

Quick Reply: Hewlett Packard Photo Printers??