2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crew or Super cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 06:45 AM
jocacliff
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crew or Super cab

Well I am buying my F-150 this week. But am having a hard time deciding on what to get. I am trying to decide if the extra 2000 dollars is worth the crew cab. I have an 8 year old daughter and a lab puppy that will be sitting back there every weekend for a two hour trip to the lake.

For anyone else that went through this decision which cab did you get and why?

Old 05-15-2005, 07:01 AM
judithgap
Senior User
I have a 04 F150 4x4 Supercab that works great for me since I am usally the only passenger. Having experience of small children and I also own a Lab, I would go with the Crew cab. Both will grow fast and need the extra room.
Good luck with the truck and take care of your daughter and the pup.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:07 AM
cullenkyla
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had both i have two kids the screw is the best

Old 05-15-2005, 07:17 AM
ViperFX4
Junior User
SuperCab works fine for me with two kids, 13 and 8 years old without any problems. Its sure nice to not give up bed space to gain 6 inches of cab room with the crew.

ViperFX4

Old 05-15-2005, 07:18 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Supercrew. The supercab is quite versatile, but rear seating could be better. If Ford had made an 04 Scew with a 6.5 bed, I would have one. I just cant use a 5.5'.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:43 AM
SuperCrewDude
Senior User
I got the supercrew for my 3 kids. I dislike the little bed that comes with it, but I haul the family more than other stuff so we opted for the 4 full doors and we love the truck. I would really like to see a 6.5 on the screws in the future.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:11 AM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Having had a supercab a few years ago, it was a no-brainer when it was time to get a new truck. The supercrew, with its versatile 4 doors and bed was the way to go.

To you guys that are saying that a 5.5 bed will not work for you, and you need the 6.5......are you using the bed extender with the tailgate down? I personally dont have the bed extender thing in my truck. Is it not useful? I thought with that thing it was supposed to be the same as having the 6.5??

Steve

Old 05-15-2005, 09:16 AM
STJones
Senior User
I had a supercab with a tool box for 3 years. With the tool box, I'd say it left me with a 5" BED+/-. I have the screw with no tool box now so it is like having more bed space. I also haul 4 kids around and the doors on the scab suck in a tight parking spot.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:25 AM
cullenkyla
Tuned
Could it be most people don't want to spend the extra money for the screw so they
go with the scab I drive mine to work every day but when I do need it for baseball
and football and lets not forget about dance class its sure nice to have the room if you have adults riding with you they will like the room better also.just go set in them
that will tell the story

Old 05-15-2005, 11:14 AM
EMB135Driver
Junior User
I looked at both, but one thing I like about the Supercab is the bigger doors and location of the B pillar (ok--no really a pillar per sea, as its not attached when the doors are open)..further back so it doesn't block vision. I didn't think it would really matter, until I sat in both----I liked the vision out of the supercab a lot better.

I don't think the difference in interior size would matter for a once a week trip, but would get the Super Crew if people are gonna be climbing in/out of the back seat a lot, especially if the driver wont be getting out. 4 full doors would be better for that, but otherwise, i'd get the Supercab and spend the $2000 on fun stuff.

Old 05-15-2005, 11:25 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Assuming that the 6.5 bed is not critical, and can't be made up with a bed extender, the Supercrew has some very nice points.

1. It's shorter, thus easier to back up at Wallmart/Costco etc.

2. No 'wavy doors'

3. Rear windows go up and down in every model. Kids, dogs, like windows that go down.

4. Seat covers are easy to get and put on. The difference in the ones with the seat mounted belts is extreme. example; I can not get leather for my Reg cab for less than 800.00 installed, and most places 1200.00 one row of seats.
I can buy leather for the SuperCrew online for 200.00, and put it on myself.
The mounted seat belt is very annoying, and not practical for seat covers.

5. I like my 'four door' reg cab, but there is no doubt that the two doors meeting in the middle, suicide style, is not as firm, long lasting, etc. as two real doors.

6. Better resale. If you keep it nice, (and being able to park it in a garage helps) it will hold it's value better, absorbing some of that 2000 bucks difference in costs. More people can use the SuperCrew, thus there is a bigger market used.

7. Subjective, I like the looks of the Regular cab and the SuperCrew better than the 'stretched' out look of the Supercab. Apologies to those that disagree, I said it was subjective.

Good luck with which ever you buy
Chris

Old 05-15-2005, 11:41 AM
txfx4x4
Senior User
I've owned three SCabs and two SCrews. I have also owned three other trucks with full 8' beds. In my opinion, all things considered, I like the SCrews the best. The extra room for hauling around several full-sized passengers is invaluable to me. For those who feel that the bed is too short, I will say that I haven't had a problem with it although it's certainly not ideal. I fold down the tailgate and bed extender (or remove the bed extender) and have hauled everything you can think of from truckloads of 8' framing materials, 6' fence pickets, sacks of concrete and/or landscape mulch, to a washing machine and refrigerator. I guess from my standpoint, there's not too many things I need to haul that I can't fit in my bed that would fit in something 1' longer. I'm sure a 4-wheeler would qualify but I don't own one. To paraphrase ChrisAdams, apologies to those who disagree, I said it was my opinion.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:20 PM
transam396
Senior User
the biggest problem for ME with the scab was the doors. having had a ranger scab with the 4 doors it was a real pain in the but getting my daughter in and out of the back of the truck in parking lots , sometimes to the point of having to back out and then let her get in. Especially seeing as how a LOT of ppl don't know how to park anymore IE pulling right up beside you to the point that i have had to crawl in the passenger side to get in my truck before. with the SCREW if your not towing a boat the bed extender is perfect for giving you that extra bed room plus when you buy grocieries it keeps then from sliding all over the bed personally since I've had my screw i don't think I would everygo for anything smaller and it would have to have the bed extender best thing they evercame up with. just my .02 worth

Old 05-15-2005, 02:03 PM
EnergizerBunny69
Senior User
Thumbs up

Well in my personal opinion, I would go for the SCREW. But that is just me. I love mine. The versatilty possibilities are great. I have two kids and a full grown labrador. If I had to do it all over again, I would still have the tough choice of the F-250 SCREW against the F-150 SCREW because I love the extra length of the bed of the F-250. However, I would still buy the F-150 SCREW because it fits in my garage. Maybe one day I will have a longer garage and I will be able to park both of them in it. There has been alot of good points in this post so far, especially Chris Adams gave some good points that most people don't think about. The choice is still yours. If you can afford it, I say get the SCREW, but that is just my opinion on the matter. Take it or leave.

Old 05-15-2005, 04:57 PM
dilas
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I gave up my Supercab after only two years for a Supercrew. I have family to haul around. Now I'm alot happier, making payments doesn't seem to be dreadful anymore. Younger kids would be fine in Supercab. If you plan to keep the truck for a long time, then best to get Screw with your daughter around.

Quick Reply: Crew or Super cab