Sponsored by: DP Tuner

high speed vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 12:56 PM
shughe40
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high speed vibration

My F250 is shaking at speeds above 45mph. It gets worse the faster I drive. I had my u joint replaced last summer. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be before I take it to the dealership?

Old 05-12-2005, 01:03 PM
KCMAGERS
Junior User
It could be your tires

Old 05-12-2005, 01:39 PM
polar88
Junior User
I had an old truck that did that almost at the exact same speed. It turned out to be the tie-rods and the King Pin (whatever that is).

Old 05-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Medic 66
Posting Guru
I experienced the same thing at exactly 45-500mph.....mine turned out to be "2" completely clogged injectors........

Old 05-12-2005, 04:32 PM
TexasEllis
Freshman User
Wow your truck goes 500mph? Man, what kind of mods do you have on that thing?

Old 05-13-2005, 12:13 PM
shughe40
New User
I had the tires rotated and balanced last night with no effect. The vibration seems to be in the rear of the truck for there is no vibration in the steering at all.

Should I try draining and then looking at the rear end or does someone have a better idea?

Old 06-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Big T
Freshman User
Originally Posted by shughe40
I had the tires rotated and balanced last night with no effect. The vibration seems to be in the rear of the truck for there is no vibration in the steering at all.

Should I try draining and then looking at the rear end or does someone have a better idea?
Ever fix your problem? I'm having the same thing in my 1999 Superduty.

Tim

Old 06-20-2005, 09:04 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
check to see if the u-joints are free and not binding as well as the carier brg if you have and ext cab.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:27 AM
shughe40
New User
I got under the truck and shook the driveshaft and found that the u-joint at the differential was loose. I changed both u-joints on the shaft to the greasable type. I did have to take the driveshaft to the machine shop because the u-joint (at the diff) was frozen. The shop only charged $30 for the u-joint + labor. Once I got everything back together, it fixed the problem.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Big T
Freshman User
18vtx00 & shughe40,
I've had the driveline out, rebalanced, and brand new greasable u-joints installed. No luck. Neither the dealership nor the driveline shop found anything wrong with the carrier bearing, but I may have that replaced next just because it's probably the least expensive option. Thanks.

Tim

Old 06-22-2005, 07:54 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big T
18vtx00 & shughe40,
I've had the driveline out, rebalanced, and brand new greasable u-joints installed. No luck. Neither the dealership nor the driveline shop found anything wrong with the carrier bearing, but I may have that replaced next just because it's probably the least expensive option. Thanks.

Tim
if you brought it to someone and they said it was okay then maybe there is no issue?? or did they drive the vehicle? go for a ride w/ the tech so you can show him what the driveability complaint is.if you can duplicate the condition for them they will have a good idea what to look for. if nothing is felt by the tech then maybe it is normal and possible (do not take it the wrong way) you are too picky. some trucks will always have a shake or slight vibration, not like a car @ all. let us know.

Old 06-25-2005, 06:39 AM
Big T
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 18vtx00
if you brought it to someone and they said it was okay then maybe there is no issue?? or did they drive the vehicle? go for a ride w/ the tech so you can show him what the driveability complaint is.if you can duplicate the condition for them they will have a good idea what to look for. if nothing is felt by the tech then maybe it is normal and possible (do not take it the wrong way) you are too picky. some trucks will always have a shake or slight vibration, not like a car @ all. let us know.
I understand what your saying, some trucks that I've had did have a rougher ride and maybe a little more vibration. This though, is somehing that just started at around 75,000 miles. Prior to that it ran very smooth. I honestly believe that something is worn or has become loose and is causing this. But, if I find anything out I'll let everyone know. I can't believe all of the threads that I've read on vibration problems for this model in trucks from 1999 to present. The ones that have fixed theirs have claimed everything from tires to one guy said he replaced his exhaust system and it corrected the problem. Thanks for your comments.

Tim

Old 06-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
I had a vibration in my truck that had been there since I bought it, and only after a friend of mine went for a ride with me was it pointed out to me. I thought it was just part of the "personality" of my truck, but he told me that shimming the carrier bearing would alleviate it. I shimmed it, and the vibration went away. There was nothing wrong with the carrier bearing itself, but because of the angle it was forced to operate at because of my lift, it works more smoothly after being shimmed.
I don't know if this will help y'all with your problem, but thought I'd throw it out there since the normal stuff ain't working.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:41 PM
TexasEllis
Freshman User
Sorry if this is too late, but I wanted to chime in. My neighbor across the street has a superduty, and was chasing a vibration just yesterday. Turned out that his carrier bearing was fine, but the rubber bushing it sits in was worn out and not supporting the bearing properly. The new bushing cost him $6 at the parts store and took him about 20 minutes to install and solved the vibration problem.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Cub77
New User
I have a weird vibration on my 02. It makes a vibration/rezonance through the throttle pedal and the steering wheel. only does it over 55mph and is most noticable at 65-70. Had tires rptated & ballancerd. Alignment done too. Trans shifts fine and does it in & out of o/d. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: high speed vibration