General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Nail Gun Question-Framing

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 01:42 PM
ChiefsFan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nail Gun Question-Framing

I am getting ready to purchase an air nail gun and have a few questions. I will be purchasing a Framing Stick Nailer and have noticed how there are numerous differant degrees. Does the degree matter in anyway at all? I have seen anywhere from 22 degree to 32 degree. Are the stick nails themselves compatible with multiple degrees? My partner has a 30 degree gun and I am looking at possibly purchasing an 28 degree gun. I would hate to get a gun that we cant just use the same nails.

TIA

Old 05-08-2005, 04:48 PM
LilDuke
Elder User
I have 2 bostitch N88WW. http://www.bostitchnailguns.com/inde...PROD&ProdID=15
(you will have to copy and paste, can't direct link.)
Bostitch nails can be found anywhere that pneumatic tools are sold. Reliability is up there with the best and it is the most popular fraiming nailer out there.

Last edited by LilDuke; 05-08-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:57 PM
ChiefsFan
Posting Guru
I noticed they have 21 degree and 28. My big question is what is the differance in the degrees? Why differant ones? If you have two differant degrees can they use the same stick nails or do you have to get differant nails for differant degrees?

Old 05-08-2005, 09:37 PM
goodwrench
Senior User
the degree is the angle of the magizine. You cant mix and match degreess, they wont feed or shoot right. There are also clipped head and full head. They are not interchangeable either. So no a 21 degree nail gun must use 21 degree nails. So i hope this clears you up..

LAter chris

Old 05-09-2005, 04:34 PM
ChiefsFan
Posting Guru
Yes it does. So is there a common degree? Reason I ask is I would hate to get one nad couldnt get the correct degree nails.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:15 PM
rangerxlt02
Elder User
Nope. Each manufacturer will set their own specs on degree of the magazine (so you have to buy their nails).

So if the person you work with has a 30 degree gun, you'd want to get the same thing (possibly available from several manufacturers).

My PorterCable is a 22 degree, full round head. Sounds as though your partner may have a PorterCable Clipped head nailer, which can handle 30 to 34 degrees (variable).

Getting the nails isn't that hard. Being able to share them on a worksite with another person gets more difficult. Find out what they have, and go from there (match up the degree of the feed magazine).

Old 05-09-2005, 06:08 PM
framerboy
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Out here in Southern California the most common nail guns for framing are 21 degree, and the Hitachi NR83A is the most common nailer by a mile. There are many different brands of 21 degree nails available in a huge array of types. I have been using Hitachi nailers for over 20 years and still own every one I have ever bought which is ten. The parts are easy to find and the guns are dead reliable and easy to maintain. We are required to use a full round head nail for most of what we do. An advantage to a 30-34 degree nailer is the magazine is shorter and more compact. Go to a job site or two in your area and ask the framers what they use and why. All of my guys use Hitachi nailers, and 3/8'' hose so that all the couplings are the same as are the nails required. It just makes life a little easier.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:58 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 846 Likes on 765 Posts
Check with local building inspector, a lot of places require full headed nails. Stick nailer=more fill ups , coil=less fill ups. My DeWalt full headed stick out performs my Bostich coil by a long shot.