Sponsored by: DP Tuner

garrett gtp38R question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 08:55 AM
t.j.g.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking garrett gtp38R question

my 7.3 with a chip , open intake , straight piped , guages and waste gate disconnected will put out around 32# of boost with stock turbo
now i am upgrading to the gtp38r
my question is do i need to hook my waste gate back up or do i need to install somthing to controll my boost pressure or do i need not to worry about over boosting
p.s. i dont want to lift my heads off the block

Old 04-24-2005, 09:17 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
if your getting the 1.0ar housing on the GTP38R it will have a wastegate on it and i would definately use it. the BB turbos dont handle high extended boost levels like 40PSI all the time. and if you jump out of the power theres no where for it to all go.
the stock head gaskets can safely handle 35psu all the time and 40psi short shots. but depends on the mileage on your truck and age. what do you have in there now to stop the CEL on overboost ??? if you have the air compressor reg to fool the MAP sensor i would just keep it at 35psi so it will defuel there. you mostlikey wont see a increase of boost with the ball bearing it just flows more air and comes on quicker.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:34 AM
t.j.g.
Senior User
yes it is 1.0 ar housing
right now i have nothing even over 24 psi my 2000 truck doesnt defuel (cel light comes on) it keeps on going 32# is the hightest i seen my boost guage go mybe my chip was programmed not to defuel ! come to think about it it never defued before i put my chip in hmmm.
anyway thats why i was woundering if i should ( gpt comes with a wastegate)
hook the waste gate back up and put a relief valve in the map line.
or should i just hook the wast gate back up and not worry abought a relief valve

Last edited by t.j.g.; 04-24-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:56 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
the wastegate wont help you in a overboost situation its there to do something with all that boost and drive pressure when you get out of the power. i would put a relive valve on the map line to make sure you dont blow a head gasket off if your truck isnt defueling at 25psi. had a buddy blow a head gasket not to long ago and it dropped chunks of head gasket in the cyl and had to pull the motor and go through it over that. whos chip burns do you have??? alot of guys like the relive valve over the regulator so the truck still runs hard but wont go over that boost level. ive got the regulator in mine and have the program to still defuel, so it hits 30 and defuels, but then picks back up right after it drops down. makes it so i cant just run the ever living snot out of it at the boost limit. i dont get any CEL's anymore

Old 04-24-2005, 10:10 AM
t.j.g.
Senior User
i got a diablo sport chip burned for my pcm code but i got ot off ebay and i dont even know what is programmed in to it

i know it halls *** i plan on going with l.p. injection soon so then i will send my chip in and have it reburned for l.p.
also i will take your advice and install a relief valve
let me see if i understand this if i put a releif valve in the map line set at 24 psi that will prevent cel light from coming on but will not protect engine from over boost and that is why u need to defuel engine
i went and pulled chip screem her down crd4 aand engine didnt defuel cel light came on?

Old 04-24-2005, 10:26 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
what i use to prevent the CEL is a air compressor regulator on the map line it makes it so even though theres 30 psi of boost the motor is seeing the regulator is regulating it down to 25 psi, so its tricking the computer to think its seeing less boost. if your truck is not defueling i would put a relive valve in the map before the pressure regulator so it will blow off that excess boost to prevent a head gasket going. i dont know why your truck isnt defueling at 25 psi, my 2000 hits 25 CEL comes on and it drops on its face, then a second later when boost is lower it picks right back up. im trying to find the link for the map regulator/boost relive valve right now theres a bunch of pics there

Old 04-24-2005, 10:51 AM
t.j.g.
Senior User
thanks agian barebackjake

i work with pnumatic air controls for building hvac equipment i could probably use a pnuematic high limit set it for 30#
when boost gets above 30 psi a port will open bleeding off excees boost pressure but ports may not be big enought to bleed out excees boost quick enought
any way i check back for that link
thank again man

Old 04-25-2005, 09:19 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
t.j.g.

When you SES light comes on the truck is defueling, just not in the way you're thinking. The PCM is not capable of pulling enough fuel to stop the truck, it just switches to it's least aggressive fuel map. The regulator in the MAP sensor line is there to prevent the SES light and nothing else....lets the computer stay with the rich fueling. Try a regulator set to 22 psi before you make any other changes and you will see what I mean....won't be a drastic change, but there will be more top end.

When you get your BB turb you will probably have t adjust the wastegate just to get it working correctly. Most of the ones I've seen (including my own) are not adjusted from the factory and will open very early. My wastegate is currently held shut with a chain and turnbuckle...it will not open, period. I like it that way.

Also, with no other changes you will loose boost with the 38R, and that's a good thing. The 38R was designed so that it's optimum efficiency happens at 32 psi, and it's rated to 40.

Don't worry about lifting a head with just a chip....it ain't gonna happen. Stock injectors can't flow enough fuel to get it done.

Old 04-26-2005, 04:14 PM
t.j.g.
Senior User
thank you for the info cookie88

i been a week since i pulled turbo and injectors still waiting for turbo and my foot is getting heavier every day