captaincook
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguires

Old 05-28-2007, 01:23 PM
lund
New User
Consumer Reports did a study on the most popular waxes. Turtle Wax with carnuba came out number 1

Old 05-28-2007, 02:15 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by lund
Consumer Reports did a study on the most popular waxes. Turtle Wax with carnuba came out number 1
I've been using the Turtle Wax carnuba, and I've found that it gives an excellent shine, but it is hard to work with because it is hard to remove the wax, even with a buffer.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:41 PM
CaptGuz
Elder User
consumer reports is wrong then... look at this board alone at the number of people that prefer meguires or mothers to turtle wax. I dont use turtle because its so hard to get it all off and doesn't to me, make my vehicle look any better then meg's or mama's

Old 05-28-2007, 07:13 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On another forum I watch, they like M-Ron Glass. Has any one tried this? Just used meguires 3 step process on the wife's charger, looks better thn new.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:22 PM
CaptGuz
Elder User
nope... i stick with what i know... could be good but could be bad lol

Old 06-02-2007, 03:45 PM
dafireman
Freshman User
I used the "new" Turtle wax ICE. WILL NEVER USE IT AGAIN!!!!. It left a film that I have been washing and chasing for two weeks. I thought so highly of it I threw the $15.00 can of crap away. Did'nt even offer it to a Chevy owner!!

Old 06-02-2007, 04:58 PM
firemediceric
Senior User
Originally Posted by dafireman
I used the "new" Turtle wax ICE. WILL NEVER USE IT AGAIN!!!!. It left a film that I have been washing and chasing for two weeks. I thought so highly of it I threw the $15.00 can of crap away. Did'nt even offer it to a Chevy owner!!
I'm glad I saw this post. The ICE has gotten some decent reviews elsewhere and I was considering using it, as the label claims it can be applied in direct sunlight.

I can't fit my F-350 into the garage and I cannot escape the Florida sun when I need to apply the wax, so I currently use the Nu Finish for the sole reason that it can also be applied in direct sunlight.

I found a product at Wal-Mart in a green spray bottle made just for Love Bugs. The label claimed to "Emulsify" them. It works pretty well. In the course of a few days I went through the entire bottle between the truck, Suburban and the Benz.

Any suggestions for reviving the shine on my fiberglass topper? It just doesn't shine like the truck.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:23 PM
ag30265
Posting Guru
I use whats in the garage

On a serious note, I prefer a solid state meg. or a liquid turtle wax. I wash and apply only in lines, as I can't stand swirls in a paint job.

I like to wash with turtle wax-zip wax/wash or blue corral, I really like it even if it is cheap or wrong.

Nothing but zep-alum acid to wash and mother's polish touches my wheels.

Question- how do you remove swirls in the finish?

Old 06-04-2007, 01:16 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Zaino

Old 06-04-2007, 01:18 PM
restore54
Freshman User
TruckDaddy,

Wow, what a mirror image finish. Nicely done.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Dr. Detail
Junior User
Gentlemen.

This string remains as interesting as always.

My 2 cents involves the Consumer Reports' study. They like to go down to the nearest "local" auto supply and pick up nearly every bottle of what they want to test from off the shelf so that they are looking at the same stuff you are. It's a good plan if you limit yourself to Consumer-Grade products.

Meguiars' consumer-grade products came out tops in a 1996 study but not this time, primarily because Meguiars is not putting their "buck" into the consumer line products (red bottles). They are developing parallel lines like the "now-discontinued" Medallion and the Gold Class. They are also pumping a lot into their professional products.

Their latest offerings are labeled "NXT" for "Next Generation". These, as well as all of their professional materials, will blow the doors off their (and I think anyone elses) consumer line offerings.

If you want to Reeeeaaaaaly enjoy Meguiars, look into their NXT Polymer Sealant OR the number 21 in their Mirror Glaze line. It's said to be NXT "on steroids".

Nice shine on the 'Vette. Anytime you pick up not only a distinct image but also the COLOR of the reflected item, you've done well.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
I've used NXT and I've used Zaino. While both give a great shine, Zaino's durability seems much better. As a matter of fact, here's a guy I paid to work on my current car. He used NXT, which I agreed to at the time. But, I've gone back to Zaino. BTW, Zaino has a couple of new products, Z-AIO (all-in-one) and Z-CS (clear seal). No need for Z1, ZFX, or Z2 anymore.

Excuse the mess...

Old 06-05-2007, 01:11 PM
CaptGuz
Elder User
nice lookin car... weird lookin garage

Old 06-11-2007, 05:29 PM
restore54
Freshman User
Dr. Detail set me up with the Meguiar system and here are the results. It feels and looks better than when I bought the truck.

Now for the question of the day, how do you remove the dealer sticker?

I've finished advertising until the next vehicle purchase.

Quick Reply: Car Wax