Sponsored by:

Smog pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 05:27 AM
Bill Hanson
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smog pump

I have a 1994 Bronco 5.0, AOD. with air. Is there a shorter serpintine belt that can be used in order to by-pass the smog pump? Thanks Bill.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
just and fyi, your tranny is an e4od, big difference.

now i believe if you buy a belt for a 5.0 that doesnt have ac it should get you the proper length. if not, cut your old belt and route it properly then measure. the parts store should be able to find the one you need.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Bill Hanson
Junior User
Thanks for the info on the trans I.D. & the serpintine belt. Bill.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:20 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
That is not a good idea to do if you are running cats. It will clog them right up, so in the long run you will lose even more power.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Kameronth that is not true, it wont clog up the cats. many have done this and never had any issues with that. his worry should be inspections in his local area or if he ever plans to sell the rig

Old 04-11-2005, 10:37 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
I have heard of many people messing them up. The pump sends air fresh through them and cools em, along with other parts of the smog. Also, time after time I have seen people do this and when it is time for emmisions they try to put the belt back on the pump and it is frozen solid. If you must have it off, I would not do it for long periods of time because it is not good on the rest of the smog system.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
im sure if he is removing the smog pump , the rest of the system is getting taken off to otherwise its pointless. your not going to gain any power/mpg from it gone just a cleaner looking engine bay maybe. if there cats went bad it was either time for new ones any older then 100k should be replaced anyways or there motor wasnt running properly (to rich) to begin with.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:41 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Ya, I would just remove both then. Here is a thread that can help.https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...ght=smog+pumps

Old 04-11-2005, 05:06 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The OEM cat on a Bronco MUST have the fresh air injection from the smog pump to acheive the proper temperature to function properly. IF you bypass the smog pump, you might as well cut the cat off too, because it won't be working. I don't know how much validity there is to the idea of building up additional crud inside the cat when its not working but I do know that the cat functions like t*ts on a bull with the smog pump not working.

Now, something else to keep in mind here is that the smog pump ALSO pushes fresh air through the cylinder heads and without this air running through the heads, the O2 sensor will get a "rich" reading from the exhaust gasses and will in turn tell the computer to lean out the fuel mixture which leads to all sorts of performance issues and spark plug problems. Every Ford V8 manufactured after 1974 had air injection through the heads! Not running the smog pump will screw with O2 sensor readings no matter how you look at it.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 PM
dwoodler
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the exhaust but back on my 88 and had the cats removed. True dual exhaust all the way from just infront of the equalizer on the y-pipe to the tail pipe. In the almost two years that I ran this rig I could smoke the tires even at the end (just before the tranny grenaded) and the 'check engine' light never came on. The smog pump was left in the engine bay and with the belt on it, but the end that joins to the exhaust was just tacked to the pipes to keep it from rattling. Smog testing is the only real worry when removing the cats or the pump. IMOA.

Old 04-12-2005, 12:43 PM
hawk242
Freshman User
Ahhh smog stuff...Sensor stuff....makes you wonder how cars ran back in the 50's and 60's without these modern technical advances...

Old 04-12-2005, 07:55 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They ran just fine, they just put a lot more crap into the air when they did it. They also didn't burn the fuel nearly as efficiently.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Bill Hanson
Junior User
Thanks everyone for all your information. Bill.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:46 PM
hawk242
Freshman User
Defines Efficently as what fuel the engine converts to power. What the converter does is burn off excess gasoline that makes it by the engine, it does this by heat... a lot of heat. We drive full size Broncos.....For real how efficent are they? As far as gas mileage? My 66 with three carbs makes slightly over 400hp I say thats pretty efficent converting fuel to power by an engine alone without cats.... It also gets better gas mileage than my bronco .....if ya drive it normal

Old 04-14-2005, 06:03 PM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
My 96 came from the plant without a smog pump. There's a pully on a bracket in place of the pump. There are no air pump inlets on the cats either. I'm the second owner, and the first owner was Bell South Telephone, so it's still bone stock. Must be a different type of cat?

Quick Reply: Smog pump