1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newbe

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 06:01 PM
truckinf1guy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbe

hey im new here im from arkansas and my parents bought me a old 1950 f-1 im 17 and i hope that i will be able to get help on things i might need help with. but i have a question to start out with who all has the same type of truck. can i see some pics of what all you have done to it?

THE TRUCK RIGHT NOW
my turck right now is not running or even drive able at this point in time due to the fact that the engine is the orginal 6cylinder that came in it the truck has all matching numbers but the problems with the engine include there being a hole in the first cylinder wall and then its seazed up and will not move no matter how much time you spend on it. so if anyone wants some of the parts off it like the waterpump, intake and exhast manafolds, and just other small things or if you want the whole engine i am willing to sell it.

PLANS
my plans are to drop a 351 cleaveland, 9in rearend, airbags, oak and stainless steal bed, and i think maybe a c6 tranny, then to stop this beast i want to do disk breaks all the way around. i know i have alot things to do before i can start the build up on my truck, but i plan to atleast have this turck running by the time i finish highschool next year

replays accepted

kyle

Old 04-08-2005, 06:54 PM
edsf100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

PLANS
my plans are to drop a 351 cleaveland, 9in rearend, airbags, oak and stainless steal bed, and i think maybe a c6 tranny, then to stop this beast i want to do disk breaks all the way around. i know i have alot things to do before i can start the build up on my truck, but i plan to atleast have this turck running by the time i finish highschool next year

replays accepted

kyle[/QUOTE]

Welcome to FTE Kyle. You found the right place for all your plans. You're on the right track by having the truck running by graduation.

Old 04-09-2005, 01:49 AM
Steve_B
Senior User
Hi Kyle

If you want to look at some pictures select "galleries" from the top right of this page, do a search on 1950 and there should be plenty to look at

Stephen

Old 04-09-2005, 07:11 AM
azwafree
Senior User
Congratulations! I started with my first 1948 Ford F1 flatehead when I was your age. I paid 180 bucks for it and drove it 1000 miles from the Northwest to California. I sure could have used FTE then. Of course, no Internet in the 60's!

These members will help you along. Check the threads first because you'll be surprised at the detail you'll find on many specific issues that you are facing.

Good luck...you'll never forget your first one...I know that I didn't.

Doug

Old 04-09-2005, 09:41 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Kyle,

Sounds like a good plan except perhaps for the rear disc brakes. Front discs do about 70% of the stopping and pickups are so light in the rear anyway that rear discs are pretty much overkill. I'd go with drums on the rear and put the money toward something else. The C6 is a good transmission, but you might want to consider an AOD with gas prices climbing...

Vern

Old 04-09-2005, 09:00 PM
jeffh
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard Kyle. You have quite a project planned, and this is certainly a good place for advice.

Old 04-10-2005, 08:06 PM
truckinf1guy
New User
thanx everyone for the replies. friday i didnt have to go to any of my classes after lunch so i went over to my grandparents house with a friend who has a 76 chevy and my g/f to work on my tuck and we got in there and started taking parts off that engine and seeing what we can salvage off that engine and there is quite a bit that i can salavge but the block has a huge hole in first cylinder wall so i need to make a lil bit more money to fund this truck and i have parts off this truck that i need to get rid of and if any one needs parts let me know because i have nothing to do with all these extra parts that are still good and i want them to go to some one who is going to put it back into restoration of another truck.

kyle

Old 04-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Kyle,

As far as the parts go, you'll find that anything heavy can be a problem to send any distance due to shipping costs. Set up your gallery here on FTE as soon as possible, and put up some pictures of the parts you have. I don't know how many flatty sixes there are out there, so you may not have a lot of folks that are looking for those specific parts. You can also place a free ad here on FTE for the parts. Click on the CLASSIFIEDS link on the right to set one up.

Any of you guys or gals know of other good places to advertise parts for a flatty six?

Old 04-11-2005, 10:47 AM
truckinf1guy
New User
ya i will have pics up as soon as i get time there has been alot that i need to do first. GreatNorthWoods, the reason i want the c6 tranny is due to the fact that for starters i dont know how to drive standerd but i can learn so thats not that big of a deal then also where i live in arkansas its real hilly and it just wouldnt very practial for me to do that and one of the guys i meet around here drives a very very nice 69 ford that he built with a 351 then he modified it to a 400 and he said it was kickin out about 400hp to the crank then with the c6 tranny its putting out about 200 to the back wheels so i mean he is loosing a lil bit of hp to the back wheels but it all comes down to where you live and me.... i got stuck living here in NW arkansas where it happins to be real hilly so i dont know what the AOD is but i just picked the c6 due to where i live and it being the best automatic

kyle

Old 04-11-2005, 03:00 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Kyle,

Hilly I can identify with. I live in the White Mountains of Northern New Hampshire. The AOD (automatic overdrive) transmission will do everything the C6 will do and give you overdrive to boot. The C6 is the Ford version of the GM TH400 and is the most heavy duty automatic transmission Ford ever made. It is very good behind an engine with a lot of horsepower. But, unless you will be running 500 HP, the AOD would work fine. The C6 is a good choice. I just mentioned the AOD because gas prices have gotten so high that a lot of folks are looking more at overdrive transmissions now.

Vern

Old 04-11-2005, 08:53 PM
truckinf1guy
New User
vern,

thanx that gave me rethink what i thought and i think im going to look a lil more into the whole AODtranny.

kyle

Old 04-12-2005, 09:41 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hints and suggestions are a lot of what this site is about, and there is certainly no shortage of opinions. go for it!

Old 04-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Yeah like my opinion if you want rear disk brakes use a newer Ford Explorer 8.8 rear end. Disk brakes came from the factory on some of them. Go to the tech article section in the upper right and you will find information on various rearends that will fit the truck.