Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP!!! Stripped Bolt!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 07:46 AM
justasammy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Stripped Bolt!!

I need some serious guidance and assistance; I have a '99 PS F350 that has been having startup problems; I am trying to get the valve covers off so I can inspect the glow plug/injector wiring harness for any cracks or melted wiring. Well, the electrical connector that sits above the driver's side valve cover is the problem I am having; I cannot get it apart! Evidently the captive nut or bung is stripped out in the plastic connector because the bolt just turns and turns without loosening anything. It looks as though I am going to have to carefully grind the head of the bolt off so I can get the connector apart. My question is two part, is there a better way to do this, and if not, is there a Ford replacement connector kit to replace this connector without having to purchase a new wiring harness (also, is there a tool that can release the electrical pins and receptacles from the connector)?

Old 04-06-2005, 08:07 AM
rirwin
Senior User
I don't know if your using a socket or wrench or what, but SOMETIMES, you can use a small flathead screwdriver and gently pry up on the head as you try to turn the bolt. If it is stripped, this might engage the threads enough to catch.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
I'm pretty sure International sells the connector repair kits, contact fingers, etc.... if it's the connectors in the valve cover gasket you're even talking about. (I can't quite tell, because last I saw those just snap apart with some squeeze latches, no bolts involved. Are you talking about the connectors that go through the firewall, maybe?)

Duncan

Old 04-06-2005, 08:19 AM
justasammy
New User
I tried that, I also tried putting pressure on the outside body of the connector, and I even put some Vice-Grips on it and pulled out laterally while turning it and I just cannot get it to catch. Evidently whoever put this in last cranked and cranked on it before they figured out what had been done.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:23 AM
justasammy
New User
Originally Posted by Frobozz
if it's the connectors in the valve cover gasket you're even talking about. (I can't quite tell, because last I saw those just snap apart with some squeeze latches, no bolts involved. Are you talking about the connectors that go through the firewall, maybe?)

Duncan
No, it is part of the main engine wiring harness and it bolts together; it sits in a metal bracket that bolts to the valve cover and sits right below the driver's side intercooler pipe. (The valve cover connectors do just snap apart)

Old 04-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
From the sounds of your description I think it's the least damaging to the electrical part of that assembly to grind the head of the bolt off and get it apart that way. Deal with the damage when it's apart, on your terms, not the bolts. You can put a LOT of stress on a plastic plug trying to overcome stripped metal threads. Good luck on your repairs. Just be real careful about not cutting the wires coming out next to it.