Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Monroe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 07:16 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monroe?

Just trying to see what everyone feels about Monroe shocks. I just ordered 4 to replace the stock ones on my truck that are long due for changing. Should have them in in a week and a half or so. I have time before I get a free day to change them and if Monroe isnt a good shock I will send them back and get the Gabriel Ultras. Which ones would you guys choose?

Old 03-27-2005, 10:32 AM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
I have had Gabriels and Monroes in the past, and find them comparable. Although they are much more expensive, I now use Bilsteins and find them worth the money.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:02 PM
wmcutter
Senior User
I've got Monroe Reflex on my 1/2 ton and so far I'm happy with them. Quite a few folks on the forum recommend Bilstein. They're more expensive but are supposed to be really good. I haven't had any personal experience with them. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:29 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts
I think you will like the Monroe's. Make sure you save the reciept though, they wont honor the lifetime warrenty without it.

Old 03-28-2005, 06:37 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
thanks guys. one of the reasons i have picked the monroes as my first choice is because the name is well known and i have never heard of gabrial. the reason i have picked between these two is the price with the lifetime warrenty. of course if i put a broom handle in place of the current shocks i would probably notice a diffrence as these are the factory shocks. i am not going to use the truck for any hardcore stuff besides some light towing every once in a while so i am not picky as far as shocks go, and these two seemed like the safest surest bet. they have a lifetime warrenty so i dont mind changing them every 30000 miles or so, it will just give me something to do as i lead a fairly bored life.

Old 03-28-2005, 06:51 AM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
I have 6 Monroe Reflex's on my Bronco - I definitely like those shocks. I had Rancho RS-5000s before... way too stiff for a Daily Driver - I put the RS-5000's on my beater bronco - much better on that rig.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:55 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
i got my 4 monroes and will change them either later on today or tommorrow. ill let you guys know how it goes. the last few days i have been crawling under there and dousing everything with wd-40 to try to loosen up the bolts as i have heard how they cold weld them selves.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:00 PM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
Surprised you have never heard of Gabriels. I thought everyone had heard of Hijackers. Course I'm an old fart that's been driving since 68.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:13 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
never really gave much thought to shocks period. never kept a car long enough to do anything about them. i now have a new problem. i just did the front shocks, but how in @#$@ do you get to the upper rear bolts?

Old 04-01-2005, 09:13 PM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
Well after doing them once on my 98 and once on my 01, I can definitely say get a ratcheting box end wrench. If what happened to me on my 98 happens to you, you may end up getting out the hack saw. I could only get the one nut part way off. Had to put the blade thru a hole on the frame and the saw frame over top the truck frame and hack saw it off. I played with that one nut for over an hour and hack sawed it of in 5 minutes.
Make sure you put some antiseize on than upper post threads for the future.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:21 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
thanks kingfish. that hacksaw is sounding good. i looked and tries all over and cant get my fat hands no where around there. the fronts were easier than i thought, i thought i would have problems with those but it only took about 20 mins a side. after playing with one rear i decided to give up and ask if there was an easier way. tommorrow, the hack saw is coming out and metal shavings will be flying all over the place.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:39 PM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
Just remember, a nut has to go back on. That ratcheting box end wrench will help there too. After I had my problem, I realized they can be a knuckle saver. I now have a decent set of SAE and MM. Makes workin on a nut in tight places a lot easier.

Old 04-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Steve_Uzi
Laughing Gas
Here is a trick I have been using for years.... and it works GREAT!!!

Once you finish installing your shocks - take some grease - wheel bearing / chassis / ball joint grease and COMPLETELY coat the threads on the shock stud.

I check hold the grease is holding up everytime I lube the chassis - since I have my grease gun in hand anyhow...

Since doing that... I have NEVER had a hard time removing shocks - give it a try!

Old 04-02-2005, 01:30 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
i found an easy way to get in there but couldnt get the hacksaw blade in there positioned to cut the nut off. i did however find a way to get a ratcheting box end in there but the whole darn shock turns. when my brother comes home from his job monday he will come over and i will use his torch and cut the darn thing off. the fronts turned a little but nothing a pipe wrench couldnt take care of, but the back one is the only one i am having trouble with. all the other nuts and bolts came off with no problems but these. i am anxious to do the back ones cause the fronts made it ride a whole lot better and i cant wait to see what a diffrence the back ones make.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:09 PM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
Were you trying to just cut the nut or the upright bolt? I cut the bolt below the nut. Unfortunately, I don't remember there being anything to put another wrench on to keep it from turning. Monroes I had in the past either had a nut at the bottom of the upright or the end was flat spotted. I don't think the OE's had this.

Quick Reply: Monroe?