Sponsored by:

Progress Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 09:48 PM
ramboss429
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progress Pictures

Well for those of you that have been following my buildup, I thought I'd post up a few photos I've taken along the way. My camera likes to delete pictures every once in a while for some odd reason, so I don't have any great pictures, so these will hafta work till Thursday.

Here is what I started with a 1967 F100 shortbox, 4x2.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=43448&width=0

To This
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=72371&width=0
To This
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=72370&width=0

And that is where my camera decided to delete the rest of my pictures, so I will get some more posted of it when I get home again with the axle attached. Let me know what you think. I believe something is gonna hafta be done with the shackle on the rear springs, I will probably have to move the hanger forward, what do you guys think?

Old 03-21-2005, 12:19 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lookin' good Ramboss! Which hanger are you talking about moving forward? And have you considered a shackle flip for the rear to get a little lift while you're at it?

Old 03-21-2005, 06:50 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Looks cool! I was wondering why the blocks are on top of the springs in the rear, though. Is it to get it on there until you get shorter U-bolts? I see you are going to do the monster truck front shackle hanger arrangement

Old 03-21-2005, 09:06 AM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd flip those rear shackle hangers over like Ivan said and bring 'em forward about 3" or so. Get that shackle leaning back about 10 deg. like this.

Shackle flip.

Looks good though. Can't wait to see it finished.

Kevin K.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:47 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by teds74ford
Looks cool! I was wondering why the blocks are on top of the springs in the rear, though. Is it to get it on there until you get shorter U-bolts?
I'm thinking this is what he's up to.

As to shackle angle, I think Kevin's truck is used more for mud drags if I remember right but for spring flex and articulation you'd be better with a 25-40 degree angle. I played with this quite a bit and found the more angle you put on the shackle the softer the ride and the better the flex. This is all to a certain point of course. At 45 degrees and more it starts stretching the spring and sagging your rear end - I know because that's where mine is now. I'm building extended shackles now to bring me back to the proper angle.

Here's where you really want to be if possible:

Old 03-21-2005, 11:51 AM
ramboss429
Posting Guru
I have considered the rear shackle flip. I think it may be too high for what I am going to do with it, I did have the shackle flipped, but I couldn't connect the leaf spring to it without moving the hanger forward about 3" like KJ said.

Yeah those blocks are on top of the rear springs until I can get shorter U-Bolts, which have been a pain to find, so anyone have some secret sources for those? That took alot of brainstorming to stack blocks like that

Ya I'm too cheap to buy new leaf springs for my front right now, so I'm copying Ivan and Pros arrangement in the front, Ivan thanks for the great write up in your gallery!

Anyone know where I can get a shackle for the front springs? I don't have any wide enuf for those massiave front springs....

I've had alot of people ask me if I would ever do a 4x2 to 4x4 conversion again, and the answer is NO. It really isn't tough at all, if you have a torch, and are good with it, the 2wd crap comes out in about a half hour. I think that once this thing is completed, I will buy a 4 wheel drive vehicle for my next project, and EB.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:03 PM
ramboss429
Posting Guru
Thanks for the pic Ivan. I just need to figure out exactly how big this thing "needs" to be. I'm 6' tall, and when i had the front axle mounted in place the top of the hood was sitting about an inch higher than my shoulders with those MASSIVE 30.5" super-duper-highway tires on it. The biggest tires I plan on ever running would be 36", but as I'm learning from these old posts of Ivans, plans DO change.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:12 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ramboss429
The biggest tires I plan on ever running would be 36", but as I'm learning from these old posts of Ivans, plans DO change.
Yup, I remember muttering those words when I got the keys to my truck. There's nothing wrong with growing a little at a time. I just don't have the patience for it.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:17 PM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Ivan,

I use mine for off-roading only - no racing. Do you think I need more angle, and what is the thought behind the angle of the shackle? I mean, why should it be 25-40?

You know a hell of a lot more about suspension that I do.

Kevin K.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:26 PM
ramboss429
Posting Guru
I do have a buddy that has an '86 Chevy shortbox that made the cover of Petersen's running 38" TSL Radials, so maybe I should go bigger than him. But now he is building a '96 Chevy extended cab, shortbox. He has done the SAS, dana 60 front, 14bolt rear, 350 crate motor, supercharged, 39.5" boggers, and something like 9" suspension lift and 3" body lift. This buddy is currently moved to North Carolina for the Air Force, so I haven't gotten to help with this new buildup.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:04 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Well Kevin, you like to experiment and play with your truck so mess with it a little if you get a chance. What I found is when the axle was at less of an angle, like yours, the spring did not flex too well. When I increased the angle it allowed the spring to stretch under pressure and it flexed like crazy. I played with 3 different shackle angles. In my gallery I have pics of it straight up and down, then one at about 10-15 degrees. I finished it up at about 35 degrees and was really happy with it. When I build the new drop brackets I screwed up a bit and now my shaclkes is a little over 45 degrees. When I build the new extended shackle it'll be back around 35 though.

Old 03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Thanks Ivan. I think I smell what you're steppin' in. I'll mess around with it and see what happens.

One of these days I'd like to assemble the whole thing and maybe even drive it somewhere. Or at least start it up.

K.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:26 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
I've had alot of people ask me if I would ever do a 4x2 to 4x4 conversion again, and the answer is NO. It really isn't tough at all, if you have a torch, and are good with it, the 2wd crap comes out in about a half hour. I think that once this thing is completed, I will buy a 4 wheel drive vehicle for my next project, and EB.[/QUOTE]
Same here. Have you looked at regular 2wd u-bolts? I know they are quite a bit shorter

Old 03-21-2005, 09:12 PM
ramboss429
Posting Guru
Ted,

Ya I have the stock length u-bolts off the 9" that got tossed but they are about an inch and a half too short

My goal is to have the truck going in a month or so, so I have some time to locate some u-bolts yet.

Have to call up LMC and order up a bunch of crap yet too......

Old 03-21-2005, 10:38 PM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ramboss429
. Yeah those blocks are on top of the rear springs until I can get shorter U-Bolts, which have been a pain to find, so anyone have some secret sources for those? That took alot of brainstorming to stack blocks like that .
works for now!!! when i replaced the rear springs in my F-250 i got new ubolts bent to the size i wanted at a local spring shop, it cost me $35 for all four bolts with washers and nuts......

Quick Reply: Progress Pictures